Notices
Road Racing / Autocross & Time Attack Road Racing / AUTOX, HPDE, Time Attack

will a staggered wheel set-up screw up my ABS??

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2008, 05:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default will a staggered wheel set-up screw up my ABS??

hey guys I am trying to figure out the size tires I should get for my ep3, I know the cars have a problem rotating so I was going to do a staggered wheel set-up of 235-40-17 and 215-45-17, I am not worried about throwing off my speedo a few mph, but I have read that this can affect your ABS, my last car didn't have ABS so can anyone shed any light on this please? thanks all I appreciate it
Old 10-05-2008, 06:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: will a staggered wheel set-up screw up my ABS?? (young noob #2)

the only car i have raced where this was a problem was the C5, it uses yaw stability sensors that get screwy if you mess with tire sizes one way or the other very far. normal abs should not be affected by this type of change since the computer is only using a wheel speed sensor.
Old 10-05-2008, 11:42 PM

what car and is it a 3 channel or 4 channel ABS system?
I have yet to hear of any problems with people who run staggered on integras.
Old 10-06-2008, 05:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: will a staggered wheel set-up screw up my ABS?? (Bbasso)

What year is your EP3? The '06's gained 4 channel ABS.

My experience w/ the 4 channel ABS (on the '06 S2000) was it doesn't like if you mess w/ the stagger. ABS (and especially traction control) would activate a lot sooner when I ran 205/50's (as opposed to the OEM size is 215/45) up front.

Not sure about the behavior of the 3 channel, as I've never driven it.
Old 10-06-2008, 09:04 AM

Default Re: will a staggered wheel set-up screw up my ABS?? (rice r0cket)

I have an 2002, my REAL car was my 96 hatch, it had nothing power and I liked it that way, I could feel how much the brakes needed, and I loved not having powersteering, but after that money pit was stolen I came across an amazing deal on an ep3, I am just trying to get this car into the same glory as my ek......so having a 3 channel should prove in my favor for running this staggered set-up?
Old 10-06-2008, 06:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

When did wheel speed sensors care about tire width? The ABS on my R works fine, 275/35/15 front, 205/50/15 rear.
Old 10-06-2008, 07:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: will a staggered wheel set-up screw up my ABS?? (rice r0cket)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by rice r0cket &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">What year is your EP3? The '06's gained 4 channel ABS.

My experience w/ the 4 channel ABS (on the '06 S2000) was it doesn't like if you mess w/ the stagger. ABS (and especially traction control) would activate a lot sooner when I ran 205/50's (as opposed to the OEM size is 215/45) up front.

Not sure about the behavior of the 3 channel, as I've never driven it.</TD></TR></TABLE>

There's no such thing as a 2006 EP3, they were only made between 2002 and 2005.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by young noob #2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I have an 2002, my REAL car was my 96 hatch, it had nothing power and I liked it that way, I could feel how much the brakes needed, and I loved not having powersteering, but after that money pit was stolen I came across an amazing deal on an ep3, I am just trying to get this car into the same glory as my ek......so having a 3 channel should prove in my favor for running this staggered set-up?</TD></TR></TABLE>

All EP3's are equipped with 4 channel ABS.

There is no yaw sensor input into the ABS, only the wheel speed sensors. The short answer is no, a staggered setup shouldn't affect the ABS negatively.

Although I would recommend 225 all-around and get the car to turn with suspension and tire pressure tuning before I ran a staggered setup.
Old 10-07-2008, 06:27 PM

Default Re: will a staggered wheel set-up screw up my ABS?? (adrian1281)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by solo-x &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">When did wheel speed sensors care about tire width? The ABS on my R works fine, 275/35/15 front, 205/50/15 rear.</TD></TR></TABLE>

it doesn't.....do you know how to "read" tires?
<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by adrian1281 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

There's no such thing as a 2006 EP3, they were only made between 2002 and 2005.

All EP3's are equipped with 4 channel ABS.

There is no yaw sensor input into the ABS, only the wheel speed sensors. The short answer is no, a staggered setup shouldn't affect the ABS negatively.

Although I would recommend 225 all-around and get the car to turn with suspension and tire pressure tuning before I ran a staggered setup.</TD></TR></TABLE>

yea.....I know.....I actually keep trying to convince my self to run 225 all around, because I am still a youngin/novice and am trying to get back into the game, and I don't want my rear end getting loose on me and be like oh ****, this is a lot different than understeering! lol but just having 0 camber out back and more even tread wear is pretty inticing..... I am actually now looking into running a 225-50-16 and 205-55-16 set-up.....those are the exact same height sidewall, and I will be running the direzza z1 star specs...so the sidewall will still be pretty stiff, ugn IDK! any input on staggered set-ups on fwd feel free to pitch in, thanks all I appreciate it
Old 10-08-2008, 05:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by young noob #2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
it doesn't.....do you know how to "read" tires?
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yeah, rough math, you have an overall OD difference of 2.75mm's, assuming the tire manufacturer used "true" numbers (which they don't). Of course, the unloaded OD is meaningless as the rolling OD is what really matters, and that can vary by tire pressure and weight by more then ~3mm's. Anyway, if you "read" the tires I use, I have a much bigger theoretical difference in tire diameter (of course, in real life, that difference is nowhere near what the numbers would make you believe) then what you're thinking of. The tires you're looking at are so close in OD that the only practical difference is width.
Old 10-08-2008, 06:13 AM

Default Re: will a staggered wheel set-up screw up my ABS?? (solo-x)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by solo-x &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Yeah, rough math, you have an overall OD difference of 2.75mm's, assuming the tire manufacturer used "true" numbers (which they don't). Of course, the unloaded OD is meaningless as the rolling OD is what really matters, and that can vary by tire pressure and weight by more then ~3mm's. Anyway, if you "read" the tires I use, I have a much bigger theoretical difference in tire diameter (of course, in real life, that difference is nowhere near what the numbers would make you believe) then what you're thinking of. The tires you're looking at are so close in OD that the only practical difference is width.</TD></TR></TABLE>

sorry I assumed you didn't know what you are talking about, but yes sir you are correct, and thats partially why I chose the wheels size/tires I did because their OD was sooo close, I would love to go with a 16 inch wheel set-up to cut on costs a little bit and to save on tires, but I haven't really looked into a staggered set-up on the direzza's and don't know if I can get the OD as close as I did with the 235-40-17 and 215-45-17 setu-up.....maybe a 225-50-16 set-up all around??? plus the little sidewall height will give me some extra ground clearance, plus this is mainly a DD that will see a few fun weekends, so a little more sidewall wouldn't hurt, especially the fact that I go to school in richmond, and this tire set-up will only be on from april-october, then the stockies come on for winter, sorry guys, I am very indecisive
Old 10-08-2008, 06:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

IMO, run 225-50 all around.

225-45 if the Dunlops are offered in that size...
Old 10-08-2008, 12:10 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by adrian1281 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">IMO, run 225-50 all around.

225-45 if the Dunlops are offered in that size...</TD></TR></TABLE>

they have that in 17's but not 16's, which would work.....my sidewall would be .4 inches shorter compared to 225-50-16's........hmmmm
and for anyone who cares here is a sweet little calculator for plus sizing and stuff http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html
Old 10-08-2008, 12:20 PM
H-T Order of Merit

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A staggered setup won't let you rotate your tires. Maybe that's not a big deal to you, but FWIW, I sure find the ability to rotate tires (including front to back) a nice feature. It means that all my tires are interchangeable, so if I bring 5-6 tires with me to the track, I can use all of them anywhere, and if I use one (or two) up, I can replace it/them with any of the others. And when a tire is just starting to go, when you start to see just the edge of the belts, you can still use it for a while on the rear, where it gets very little wear. It also enables me to wear out a set of tires at the same time, so I'm not stuck with two rear tires that last forever. $.02

Old 10-08-2008, 02:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by young noob #2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I have an 2002, my REAL car was my 96 hatch, it had nothing power and I liked it that way, I could feel how much the brakes needed, and I loved not having powersteering, but after that money pit was stolen I came across an amazing deal on an ep3, I am just trying to get this car into the same glory as my ek......so having a 3 channel should prove in my favor for running this staggered set-up?</TD></TR></TABLE>

due to the suspension design, will an EP3 ever have the potential of an EK?
Old 10-09-2008, 10:56 AM

Default Re: will a staggered wheel set-up screw up my ABS?? (nsxtasy)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by nsxtasy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">A staggered setup won't let you rotate your tires. Maybe that's not a big deal to you, but FWIW, I sure find the ability to rotate tires (including front to back) a nice feature. It means that all my tires are interchangeable, so if I bring 5-6 tires with me to the track, I can use all of them anywhere, and if I use one (or two) up, I can replace it/them with any of the others. And when a tire is just starting to go, when you start to see just the edge of the belts, you can still use it for a while on the rear, where it gets very little wear. It also enables me to wear out a set of tires at the same time, so I'm not stuck with two rear tires that last forever. $.02

</TD></TR></TABLE> I know what you are saying but your last sentence pretty much states it all, rear tires last a long time......so then I would only be messing with bringing to extra wheels/tires....but that isn't even part of any of my worries...this car is just a mountain road carver that I wan't to be a fun on the turns, and will see the occasional autocross, no road racing for me in the near future at all......to expensive......
Old 10-10-2008, 08:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by young noob #2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> I know what you are saying but your last sentence pretty much states it all, rear tires last a long time......so then I would only be messing with bringing to extra wheels/tires....but that isn't even part of any of my worries...this car is just a mountain road carver that I wan't to be a fun on the turns, and will see the occasional autocross, no road racing for me in the near future at all......to expensive......</TD></TR></TABLE>

Why is it too expensive?

Modified by adrian1281 at 7:26 PM 10/11/2008
Old 10-10-2008, 09:38 AM

Default Re: will a staggered wheel set-up screw up my ABS?? (adrian1281)

I am in college and pay for everything myself, my last car was stolen in december last year, my one year anniversary is coming up and auto-x is cheaper to compete in than road-racing and also more abundant