Notices
Acura Integra All Integra Except ITR

92 Integra Swap Advice B18C

Old 09-20-2008, 09:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 92 Integra Swap Advice B18C

A couple years ago I bought a clean, stock 92 Integra hatchback to use as a backup vehicle. I got it for $1200. It had never been wrecked and the interior was pristine. It had over 220k miles on it, but I prefer to save money buying high mileage vehicles and swapping out the engine and replacing the struts and brakes anyway.

My initial plan was to get a B18C with a B16 cable tranny and just leave it otherwise stock. Just a comfortable backup vehicle I can use when I get too deep into my Civic project. My belief was that since the chassis is OBD1 it would be a straight drop in with maybe running a few wires (wiring is absolutely no problem for me). I base all this on the Engine Swap Guide from g2ic.com and the apparent lack of any swap info for DA's throughout the internet.

Now the time has come for an engine swap. Judging by how messed up the tranny is, there is little doubt that the springs in the clutch have come out and are roaming free. Also, 2nd and 3rd both grind. So I start looking into getting the engine, tranny, ECU, and other parts. Now I come to find out that there is much more to it than what is mentioned in the swap guide. But it's hard to find any clear answers.

Power Steering: requires a B17 (haha, yeah right like I'll ever find one) or 88-91 B16 power steering mount?

AC: most people are ridiculed for wanting to retain their AC so there's no clear answer here.

Axles: mixed info

Intake: the B18A intake wont fit the B18C?

Motor mounts: reuse the B18A motor mounts?

Clutch/Flywheel: match the trans not the engine

Cruise control: ?

I love the look of the DA chassis but I really can't afford the time and money of all these little complications. I really got into the Honda/Acura scene because of the easy plug n play nature of swaps. So now I need to decide if I want to just get the clutch fixed and sell the car so that I can buy an OBD1 DC instead. If anyone here who has personally performed a B18C swap into a 92, 93 Integra can chime in and possibly direct me to some good and complete info, I would greatly appreciate it.

Modified by baller status at 3:16 PM 9/20/2008
Old 09-23-2008, 06:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 92 Integra Swap Advice B18C (baller status)

Wow, there really is no interest in the DA chassis, is there?

Or no one knows?

Are B18A and B16A (xSi) axles the same?

Will the B18A intake fit the B16?

I'm trying to decide whether just to get a B16 from a JDM Integra for now and put an OBD1 B18C engine on top of the B16 tranny later.
Old 09-23-2008, 07:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: 92 Integra Swap Advice B18C (baller status)

You might get some more responses on G2IC.com as it's all G2s. Also try the DA squad post here.

DAs are becoming a rare car to see modified, especially cleanly modded.
Old 09-23-2008, 08:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 92 Integra Swap Advice B18C (The G2 Racer)

Power Steering: yea, ull need the b17 power steering bracket..

AC: [freak] ac, roll down your windows.

Axles: dosent matter, aslong as you use the "intermediate/half shaft.
gsr axels = gsr half shaft
ls axels = ls half shaft.

oh yeah and thats only for the driver side.

Intake: junk the stock one and get a Blox manifold or skunk2 "application for the GSR". Than you can use any intake "application for the DA"

Motor mounts: get all new mounts from hasport.
if your gonna use a hydro transmission? than u gotta get the "cable to hydro" conversion kit from Hasport...gonna cost you 300 bucks (comes with the passenger side mount)

Clutch/Flywheel: match it with the engine

Cruise control: dont be lazy

Old 09-24-2008, 05:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i dropped a swap in my DA teg..smooth as butter. started up first try. just make sure ur using the right harness.
Old 09-24-2008, 08:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

You can take everything I am about to say to the bank.

Power Steering: Can use b17 mount, or b18a1 mount. If you use the b18a1 mount you will not be able to put in the long tensioning bolt and will need to put the crank pulley from your LS motor on the GSR motor. You will have to adjust tension without the bolt meaning hold the pump in place and lock down the bolts. You will need to use your DAs power steering pump as well since the b18c pump does not get close to having the high pressure line line up to it.

AC: Any LS or GSR bracket and compressor will work fine with any crank pulley. Nothing to keeping the a/c so long as you dont have turbo or some crazy aftermarket exhaust manifold

Axles: passenger GSR and LS axel is the same, you will need one of the two configurations for drivers side. GSR half shaft with GSR axle, LS Half shaft with LS Axle. either setup will go into your stock wheel hubs

Intake: Blox, Skunk2 or stock 94 to 95 manifold works fine, if you get the blox or skunk2 be prepared to replace GSR throttle cables once every couple of months as it rubs the hood from the angle it sits at.

Motor mounts: can reuse stock mounts with cable transmission, make sure you switch over the bracket from your b18a that mounts on the drivers side behind the timing cover. If you are going to switch to a hydro tranny you will need a hasport mount kit

Clutch/Flywheel: match the trans not the engine (correct)

Cruise control: Will work fine as the cable goes to the pedal

Throttle cable: If putting a 94up GSR motor you need a 94 to 95 cable and bracket to hold it to manifold

Lower crossmember connecting bar will not fix with any GSR exhaust manifold. I never tried using the b18a1 manifold

Speed sensor: if you have a cable drive one or electric sensor, move it over to your transmission if you are changing your transmission

Modified by crxstylin at 1:01 PM 9/24/2008
Old 09-24-2008, 11:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (crxstylin)

good shiet.. let me add a lil something to dat

intake: if you go with aftermarket intake manifold than u should get a Type R throttle cable and bracket. and i replace the the TB pulley from my gsr to LS

Lower crossmember connecting bar: i used my DA header..its longer and connects to my cat. GSR are shorter.

speed sensor: yea. i swapped mines over too.

Clutch/Flywheel: match the trans not the engine (Thx for the corrections)
Old 09-29-2008, 09:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Ricextacy)

any wiring info? Lookin at EVERYTHING that needs done for 94 b18c1 into 90 gs
Old 09-30-2008, 12:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (dzminiz)

everything but the wiring was mentioned above

94 obd1 GSR into 90 or 91 obd0 DA integra
Need obd0 to obd1 jumper harness and you will need to change your injector plugs out, get rid of the resistor box, get a obd0 to obd1 harness adapter for the distributor and you will need to add the wiring for the 4 wire o2 sensor, knock sensor, IABs, vtec solenoid, vtec oil pressure sensor

I had rywire.com just make a plug and play harness for the above. I think it cost around $200 but saves many headaches.

94 obd1 GSR into 92 or 93 obd1 DA integra
This is much easier
Use your stock DA harness and just add the wiring to the ECU for the 4 wire o2 sensor, knock sensor, IABs, vtec solenoid, vtec oil pressure sensor

You can get a jumper harness for this for like $50 if you want to ensure your connections are great.
Old 09-30-2008, 05:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (crxstylin)

Thank you crxstylin. That is a quality response!

Wiring is no problem, it's 92 so it's OBD1. If I have to wire up the secondaries or a knock sensor that's fine.

Why do people continue to buy Skunk2 and Blox's low quality products?

In this case, the OEM two-stage manifold is the best choice for a daily driver.
Old 10-23-2011, 05:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 92 Integra Swap Advice B18C

what kind of intake system will work if you put a 94 gsr into a da? i'm assuming the LS intake, aftermarket or not, probs won't work right and if that's the case, would you have to buy a new/used intake system?
Old 10-23-2011, 07:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

way to bring this back from the dead... If you have a stock intake manifold you will have to use a gsr one and might have to mod it alittle... aftermarket IM you have to use an ls intake manifold
Old 04-13-2014, 03:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Hey guys , so I did the same thing. But when i put in my new throttle body i noticed my MAP sensor on my car ( 92 GSR with a swapped b18c1 ) was on the firewall rather than right on the TB itself. How do I fix this ?
Old 04-13-2014, 04:03 PM
Technical Hero

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

Either use the fire wall mounted one or plug it in to the throttle body mounted one
Old 04-13-2014, 04:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Icon2 Re: 92 Integra Swap Advice B18C

thanks for the fast reply,

But than what would i do to the vacuum hose connected to the MAP sensor on the firewall if I were to clip the harness to the new MAP sensor?

cheers !

Moe
Old 03-28-2015, 04:44 PM
Trial User

I have a 92 gs-r. Bought with a b18c1 swap done absolutely awful. The wiring is so hacked it's just not gonna be fixable. I got a bay harness made from a 94 gsr. Motor is 0bd1. Need to find a dash harness. What will work other than just a factory harness? Ready to give up any advice please