Notices
Acura Integra All Integra Except ITR

Brake Clicking Sound - When Applied And Released

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2008, 11:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Brake Clicking Sound - When Applied And Released

This is bothering me so badly. I don't know what to look for really.

If i am driving at 40mph. I apply the brake moderately to slow to 20mph. There is a click when engaged and a click when disengaged. I can feel it in the pedal and hear it. It sounds like it is coming from my front right spindle.

I have brand new axles in the car with 100 miles on them, and new brakes, and tie rods all around. It has to be something with my braking system because it only does it when applying and letting the brake on and off.

Anyone else experience this? I don't want to drive and have something worse happen to me or my loved ones while in the car.
Old 09-24-2008, 11:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I did some research and these are a couple choices that i have read.

Brake pads are moving around a bit in the holder?
Some type of bolt holding the piston into place?
The entire caliper itself moving?
Inner/Outer Tie rod, ball joints etc etc. being lose or becoming lose. (Moves when weight is applied and taken off)

I recently replaced all my wheel studs in the front about 1 week ago because they were becoming worn /stripped. I am sure i tightened everything to the best of my ability. I only have been driving the car for about 1.2 weeks and didn't take notice to it before i did the wheel studs. Pretty sure it still was making the noise though.
Old 09-24-2008, 11:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: (Mfoehrkolb)

definitely take a look at the brake pads as well as the caliper-to-hub mounting bolts, just to make sure that nothing is moving. Another thing would be to check the brake fluid. I had some funky clunking sounds and feelings in my old gsr's clutch pedal when there was gunky fluid in the master cylinder.
Old 09-24-2008, 11:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (garados)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by garados &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">definitely take a look at the brake pads as well as the caliper-to-hub mounting bolts, just to make sure that nothing is moving. Another thing would be to check the brake fluid. I had some funky clunking sounds and feelings in my old gsr's clutch pedal when there was gunky fluid in the master cylinder.</TD></TR></TABLE>

--- I bleed them when i got the car on the street. There was no fluids in the car at all. So everything should be fresh, but i could re-bleed them to see if any gunk will come out now since it has been in use.

This is def. something i don't want to mess around with because of being able to stop is pretty serious. If i recall correctly.
Old 09-25-2008, 12:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: (Mfoehrkolb)

Yeah, being able to stop is a nice feature on any car Check the bolts and also the caliper sliding pins to see if they're clean and have good grease on them. They should slide very easily into the caliper mounting bracket.
Old 09-25-2008, 06:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (garados)

I had the same issue once.

When I got new pads, they didn't come with the little metal piece that holds them in place. I said screw it and it did the same thing you are talking about until I got a new set.

The clicking noise was loud as hell.