Notices
Suspension & Brakes Theory, alignment, spring rates....

My coilovers have two springs what is the function of the lower one? HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2008, 03:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My coilovers have two springs what is the function of the lower one? HELP!

I recently purchased a set of used ITR GAB Revo Stroke coilovers for my DA. The set did not come with a spanner and the front is much higher than the back. I tried a hammer and screwdriver to lower the perch and had no luck. I then drove to a couple shops and they were unable to move it at all because the stupid thing is seized.

Now, there is a little secondary spring underneath the big one. I was thinking of just removing that one and it should put the front at the height that I want it.

My question is, Is this spring their to act as a progressive setup and help absorb bumps? Or what? Can I take it out?

Thanks in advance. I need my car back on the road asap.

They call this a "helper spring" on the Japanese GAB site...

Modified by wakaranai at 2:09 PM 9/16/2008
Old 09-12-2008, 04:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: My coilovers have two springs what is the function of the lower one? HELP! (wakaranai)

yes helper spring, keeps the main spring seated at full droop. can help a little bit to make a little more progressive feel but mainly to aid in keeping the main spring seated at full droop.

did you try soaking the perch and sleeve with PB Blaster for a few days?
Old 09-12-2008, 04:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: My coilovers have two springs what is the function of the lower one? HELP! (MAV3RiCK478)

I see. I removed it and it made practically no difference heightwise. I soaked the thing overnight and both shops sprayed more on and nothing. I guess the only way now is on a bench with a big effin pipe attached to the spanner...which I don't have.
Old 09-13-2008, 07:43 AM

Default Re: My coilovers have two springs what is the function of the lower one? HELP! (wakaranai)

i would check the threads and if all good spray with lube wrap a rag around it and get a pipe wrench to try to brake it loose.
Old 09-13-2008, 09:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: My coilovers have two springs what is the function of the lower one? HELP! (project93cpe)

Yeah, threads are good. A good variety of things have been sprayed on there in addition to one of the shops heating it a bit with a torch--all to no avail. A pipe wrench might do the trick.
Old 09-15-2008, 07:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

helper springs have very low spring rates, and do not contribute to the overall spring rate at that corner. their only purpose is to keep the spring seated at full droop, and usually compress into a flat disc/puck at static ride height. Taking them out would allow the spring to flop around during extension and at the very least, cause noise.

Tender springs have higher rates than helper springs and do contribute to the overall spring rate.