Notices
Road Racing / Autocross & Time Attack Road Racing / AUTOX, HPDE, Time Attack

Motion Adaptive EPS ????

Old 09-07-2008, 05:39 AM
H-T Order of Merit

Received 25 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Motion Adaptive EPS ????

<FONT COLOR="blue">TOKYO, Japan, September 4, 2008– The new Legend, which goes on sale in Japan on Friday, September 5, 2008, will be the first Honda automobile released in Japan to feature Motion Adaptive Electric Power Steering (EPS), a new driving stability technology which initiates steering inputs that prompt the driver to steer in the correct direction during cornering and in slippery road conditions. Motion Adaptive EPS is also planned for implementation on other models such as the new Odyssey and the new Accord series, both scheduled for release in Japan in the near future.

Motion Adaptive EPS works with Honda's Vehicle Stability Assist* and Electric Power Steering, using vehicle speed and steering angle data to provide finely tuned steering inputs. Motion Adaptive EPS detects instability in slippery road conditions both during cornering and under braking and automatically initiates steering inputs aimed at prompting the driver to steer in the correct direction. This new advanced technology supports the driver's action in operating the vehicle more safely and comfortably.
</FONT>

I'm really not quite sure how I am going to respond the first time that my car starts steering on its own, at speed.
Old 09-07-2008, 08:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Motion Adaptive EPS ???? (George Knighton)

I wonder how it will deal with the car's torque steer (JDM Legend = our TL, right?).
Old 09-07-2008, 09:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Motion Adaptive EPS ???? (PIC Performance)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by PIC Performance &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I wonder how it will deal with the car's torque steer (JDM Legend = our TL, right?). </TD></TR></TABLE>

Probably with some servo-hydralic contraption and complicated electronics coupled with more sensors that will add another 50 lbs to an already portly beast.
Old 09-07-2008, 10:01 AM
H-T Order of Merit

Received 25 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Re: Motion Adaptive EPS ???? (PIC Performance)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by PIC Performance &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I wonder how it will deal with the car's torque steer (JDM Legend = our TL, right?). </TD></TR></TABLE>

No. It's more like an RL with a few more HP and a slightly more aggressive SH-AWD. (Accent on the SH.)
Old 09-07-2008, 10:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds like an updated HICAS system. I used to have a 300zx that had the system and could not stand it.
Old 09-08-2008, 04:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by George Knighton &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
I'm really not quite sure how I am going to respond the first time that my car starts steering on its own, at speed.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Is this any worse than the Honda Lane Keep Assistance System (LKAS)? I believe that system is available in Europe, even if we can't get it here.

Or even worse (better?), how about the Honda Collision Mitigation Brake System (CMS)? Want the car to have control over the brakes, and be able to activate them without your input, based entirely off of forward facing sensor that is probably going to have a false positive at some point in its usable lifespan (because sensors work perfectly, forever, right?)?

Some info, for those with no clue what I am talking about.
http://world.honda.com/factboo....html