Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Pennzoil Synchromesh ??

Old 08-23-2008, 03:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pennzoil Synchromesh ??

Well my LS tranny is getting garbage now, so I picked up a quart of Pennzoil Synchromesh. Should I flush the fluid I have in there now, and Fill it 2/3's with Honda MTF and the rest with the synchromesh or am I to fill the entire tranny the synchromesh??? I need a temporary band-aid until I get my other car running so I can rebuild my LS engine and tranny.
Old 08-23-2008, 03:06 PM
Resident Gearhead

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Re: Pennzoil Synchromesh ?? (Xscort)

I've heard good stuff about Honda's reformulated MTF, that's what I would use.

*Waits for the MTF war to begin*
Old 08-23-2008, 06:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Pennzoil Synchromesh ?? (mcvtec)

if the tranny is junk then no magic mtf will help your cause. keep what you got in there and save the extra cash toward a rebuild.
Old 08-23-2008, 06:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Pennzoil Synchromesh ?? (ejprimo)

precisely..
Old 08-23-2008, 07:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i'm sure mine is better off than others who have a problem, its just when on highways or 55mph roads when i wanna pass someone, i have a hard time gettin in gear(downshifting). Basically the gears go into gear best between 3-3.5krpm, most of the time. I just need my synchros to hold out for at least another 3-4months which I'm sure it will last a lot longer. Its been grinding/snagging into gear on/off for about 7months now. I just want to ease up on the harshness for now.
Old 08-23-2008, 08:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

sorry to thread jack but where did you find the Pennzoil syncromesh at i cant find it anywhere.
Old 08-23-2008, 08:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Xscort &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Well my LS tranny is getting garbage now, so I picked up a quart of Pennzoil Synchromesh. Should I flush the fluid I have in there now, and Fill it 2/3's with Honda MTF and the rest with the synchromesh or am I to fill the entire tranny the synchromesh??? I need a temporary band-aid until I get my other car running so I can rebuild my LS engine and tranny.</TD></TR></TABLE>

sounds like you need GM syncromesh FM part # 12377916 best band-aid imo, think most will agree.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by jdm206 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">sorry to thread jack but where did you find the Pennzoil syncromesh at i cant find it anywhere. </TD></TR></TABLE>

autozone has it
kregon has it
napa has it too!

Old 08-23-2008, 10:29 PM
HT White Ops

I knew a guy that used to put oatmeal in his transmission - no kidding!

Might try that!

Probably work as good as "Pennzoil Synchromesh" - and you can eat what's left over...
Old 08-23-2008, 10:35 PM

Default Re: Pennzoil Synchromesh ?? (THC07)

i heard gm quit making synchromesh. anyone else hear that?
Old 08-24-2008, 09:54 AM
HT White Ops

Default Re: Pennzoil Synchromesh ?? (1988_96hb)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 1988_96hb &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i heard gm quit making synchromesh. anyone else hear that?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Well, here's the deal...

Manual tranny fluid has to have a certain level of friction so the synchros will crash together. If the oil is too slick you'll get grinding when shifting - usually going into 3rd gear, but sometimes other gears too. That's why you don't want to use motor oil, and so forth, and so on...

GM made a version of 'synchromesh' that had 'friction modifiers' (more friction, better shifts), but they quit offering it...

However, they DO still offer the regular ol' slick ****, but it doesn't work so good - same crap they sell at AutoZone, et cetera!

Less friction makes your tranny last longer, but doesn't do jack for shifting...
Old 08-24-2008, 10:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Pennzoil Synchromesh ?? (BlackDeuceCoupe)

i use the new honda mtf and i have no grinds..but even with the older honda mtf...i had no grinds =] but the shifter felt like if slipped into the gears smoother with the new honda mtf.
Old 08-24-2008, 11:02 AM
HT White Ops

Default Re: Pennzoil Synchromesh ?? (v8 integra)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by v8 integra &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i use the new honda mtf and i have no grinds...</TD></TR></TABLE>

Generally speaking, it's hard to go wrong with official Honda fluids!

I've used Honda MTF. Only problem I had was sliding into reverse - sometimes it went in okay - sometimes it popped out when I engaged the clutch. Can't blame it on the oil - probably a mechanical thing - but Honda MTF didn't help the situation either.

All I've used, for years, is Red Line MTF & MT-90! Kinda fun rolling into a speed shop with a lowered import - those arrogant bastards!!!

Never had a failure yet, and it makes my trannys shift like glass - day n' night difference actually - kinda pricey though...
Old 08-24-2008, 08:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

well i have the bottle now, i still have the receipt i hope, hopefully i can take it back. got it from autozone.

In the meantime, I'll try to look for the GM Synchromesh and hope I come across, if not I guess I'll flush my tranny and put Honda MTF in it.

Thanks for the replies!!!
Old 08-24-2008, 09:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Xscort)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Xscort &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">well i have the bottle now, i still have the receipt i hope, hopefully i can take it back. got it from autozone.

In the meantime, I'll try to look for the GM Synchromesh and hope I come across, if not I guess I'll flush my tranny and put Honda MTF in it.

Thanks for the replies!!! </TD></TR></TABLE>

if u do find the gm synchormesh..make sure it says friction moddifers or moddified on the bottle..if not its not worth it imo.
Old 08-24-2008, 10:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Xscort &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Well my LS tranny is getting garbage now, so I picked up a quart of Pennzoil Synchromesh. Should I flush the fluid I have in there now, and Fill it 2/3's with Honda MTF and the rest with the synchromesh or am I to fill the entire tranny the synchromesh??? I need a temporary band-aid until I get my other car running so I can rebuild my LS engine and tranny.</TD></TR></TABLE>

i'm currently using Pennzoil Synchromesh on my d-series tranny and have no problems with it. Shifiting is a bit smoother than before when i was using regular motor oil.
Old 08-25-2008, 02:23 AM
HT White Ops

Default Re: Pennzoil Synchromesh ?? (bmoua)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by bmoua &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i'm currently using Pennzoil Synchromesh on my d-series tranny and have no problems with it. Shifiting is a bit smoother than before when i was using regular motor oil. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Man, I wish I could talk you guys into spending $35 on some Red Line racing oil - but it's just a pipe dream, I suppose...

If I was independently wealthy, I'd play Santa Claus in Summer and send you some!
Old 08-25-2008, 11:01 AM

The new honda mtf is different from the old stuff. gm sychromesh has a tendency to eat away at syncro's due to them being carbon (all the long time techs for honda tell me this so i just going off what they tell me). the new honda tranny's have no problem with it. i work for honda (not for long) but every tech down there, in the own cars only run the new hmtf. I have a 98 teg and would grind into 1st did a tranny fluid service using the new stuff and it went right away. so bump for the new stuff.
Old 08-28-2008, 01:43 AM

Default Re: Pennzoil Synchromesh ?? (college)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by college &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">The new honda mtf is different from the old stuff. gm sychromesh has a tendency to eat away at syncro's due to them being carbon (all the long time techs for honda tell me this so i just going off what they tell me). the new honda tranny's have no problem with it. i work for honda (not for long) but every tech down there, in the own cars only run the new hmtf. I have a 98 teg and would grind into 1st did a tranny fluid service using the new stuff and it went right away. so bump for the new stuff.</TD></TR></TABLE>

how much is a quart of the new honda mtf, and has anyone used penzoil synchromesh? im having a 3rd gear grind
Old 08-28-2008, 02:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Pennzoil Synchromesh ?? (JCritt)

I use the Pennzoil synchromesh but it's not the same as the GM synchromesh with friction modifiers.
Old 11-17-2009, 04:35 AM
New User

Default Re: Pennzoil Synchromesh ??

Here are some links for some technical information on the Pennzoil Synchromesh:

http://www.pennzoil.com/#/transmissi...smission-fluid

http://www.stealth316.com/2-pennzoil-synchromesh.htm

It appears to me that the "synchromesh" itself indicates that friction modifiers are present within the fluid. I recently switched my original fluid with this stuff and it seems to shift a lot smoother than before, but as many would suggest it may have been the case that I just needed the change in the first place.

At any rate, I will continue running this fluid unless there are some physical changes in the shifting that pop up unexpectedly. If this happens, which I am betting against, then I will drop another post in a few months.
Old 11-17-2009, 05:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by college
The new honda mtf is different from the old stuff. gm sychromesh has a tendency to eat away at syncro's due to them being carbon (all the long time techs for honda tell me this so i just going off what they tell me). the new honda tranny's have no problem with it. i work for honda (not for long) but every tech down there, in the own cars only run the new hmtf. I have a 98 teg and would grind into 1st did a tranny fluid service using the new stuff and it went right away. so bump for the new stuff.
Either they told you something wrong, or you misunderstood them. The stock synchros in a Honda tranny are not carbon. I can take a picture for you if you like.
Old 11-17-2009, 06:21 AM

Do what I did when I had a messed up LS tranny.

I could not downshift right so you would have to double clutch it and give it a bit of rev while your in N and once the RPM starts to drop just a bit slide that baby into what ever gear you want.

example, your in fifth...if you want to drop it in 3rd you would double clutch it and put in in N then pull the shifter down like going into fourth just 1.4" way and push it into 3rd.

Same goes for me when I wanted to go 2nd, I would have to push it a bit towards 1st then pull it into 2nd while my foot is on the brake and giving it some gas to shake it loose.

Now I have a better tranny and no need to do that and what a difference...lol.

BTW no fluid will help you so just save the $$ towards your new tranny.
Old 11-18-2009, 05:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by CRX T-Si
Do what I did when I had a messed up LS tranny.

I could not downshift right so you would have to double clutch it and give it a bit of rev while your in N and once the RPM starts to drop just a bit slide that baby into what ever gear you want.

example, your in fifth...if you want to drop it in 3rd you would double clutch it and put in in N then pull the shifter down like going into fourth just 1.4" way and push it into 3rd.

Same goes for me when I wanted to go 2nd, I would have to push it a bit towards 1st then pull it into 2nd while my foot is on the brake and giving it some gas to shake it loose.

Now I have a better tranny and no need to do that and what a difference...lol.

BTW no fluid will help you so just save the $$ towards your new tranny.
Or if you're local you can hit me up and we can split the case and fix it the right way..
Old 11-18-2009, 05:58 AM
Global Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Old 11-18-2009, 08:00 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

From what I read the Pennzoil syncromesh is certified for use by GM so it is the same stuff I'm sure, you don't actually think GM makes their own fluid do you?

The Pennzoil stuff works really well and I have it in all of my manual trans, not just the Hondas... really good stuff and it will help out a rough shifting trans, but won't fix a trashed trans!