Notices
Honda Prelude All Model Preludes

How to remove door/window frame trim?

Old 07-09-2008, 07:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to remove door/window frame trim?

I bought some new window frame trim pieces to replace my old faded ones. I just have one quick question on how to remove the existing trim. Can you just simply pull on them and pop em out? Thanks.
Old 07-09-2008, 08:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: How to remove door/window frame trim? (Duck Sauce)

are u talking about the black trim peice that goes on out of the door? i never got to take that trim out without breaking the plastic clips that holding the trim, good luck taking it out, if it doesnt work, rip it out and get some new clips from dealer, i always though they were one time use clips.
Old 07-09-2008, 08:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: How to remove door/window frame trim? (russlan44)

Hey if you figure it out without tearing it up please tell me, because i need to do the same.
Old 07-09-2008, 08:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

are you talking about the piece that is black and eventually over time starts cracking and the chrome appears?
if so you have to take off the door panels to fully access it
Old 07-10-2008, 03:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (log1c)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by log1c &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">are you talking about the piece that is black and eventually over time starts cracking and the chrome appears?
if so you have to take off the door panels to fully access it</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yes, that's the piece I'm talking about. So you can't just pull them out right?
Old 07-10-2008, 10:08 PM

have the same issue on my drivers side piece.

anyone figure out if the panel must be removed to get it off safely ?

maybe a paint option without removing ?

Old 07-16-2008, 05:21 PM

Default Trim Removal on Driver and Passanger Side Above Doors How To

1st there is a little piece of black plastic that caps both ends of each piece of trim. If you are careful you can take a flat blade screw driver and tap the caps off either end of the trim. Once the end caps are removed the trim will slide off of the car with a little effort. On the 92-96 prelude there are 3 clips on each trim that attach to a post on the car. Once the caps are removed if you can't slide the trim or if you don't want to try to slide it. You can remove the clips without breaking them if you use a long screw driver and gently tap each clip. They will slide off their mounting post if pushed in the right direction. Either towards the front or rear of the car. Attempt this at your own risk and be careful, the clips are delicate.

Modified by element13 at 6:45 PM 7/16/2008

Modified by element13 at 6:52 PM 7/16/2008
Old 07-17-2008, 08:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: How to remove door/window frame trim? (Duck Sauce)

If its a 5th gen thhis should help..

http://www.preludepower.com/fo...72174
Old 02-19-2011, 01:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: How to remove door/window frame trim?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sVfpGzNGfX0
Old 12-21-2012, 05:31 PM
Trial User

Default Re: How to remove door/window frame trim?

Hi. This is my first post in this forum and my first guide so bear with me.

My window trim on my '97 Integra RS was having issues with the paint cracking and peeling leaving an ugly mottled chrome trim. After reading these posts, getting pretty confused and ending up trying it myself, I have made a step-by-step guide.

How to remove the diver and passenger window trim

Note: You will need a flat-head and a phillips screw driver and an 8mm socket and a 10mm socket wrench. You will also need access to the interior door panel and window rack.

1. The first thing I did was remove the three screws in the door panel. One is behind a plastic flap in the door handle, another is in the little oval cup in the armrest and the third is towards the front part of the door panel near the door jam. Make sure to remove the plastic screw all the way from it's base before attempting to remove the base or you may end up breaking the plastic arms which secure the panel.

2. Remove the plastic housing from the door handle and remove the little cup.

3. Start prying the bottom of the door panel away from the door slowly then lift upwards once the bottom of the door panel is loose.

4. Remove the wiring connectors from the panel. Then remove the power window control unit from the door panel. (In my case there was a metal plate with two screws I had to remove in order to do this)

5. From the bottom, peel back the vapor barrier to see the window elevator and the two bolts connecting the window to the elevator.

6. Reconnect the power window control unit to its connector and raise/lower the window till you can see the forward bolt through the hole in the metal door frame.

7. Using the 10mm socket, loosen both bolts but do not remove them fully, they need some play so the window can slide in the elevator.

8. The bolts are sitting in a notch. Move the elevator side-to-side so that the window bolts move toward the larger holes, then pop the window out and let it rest inside the door.

9. This is where it gets fun. I removed my side mirror to see the strip completely. On the inside there is a triangular piece of plastic that's covering the nuts fastening the mirror to the door. Remove this and you will see three nuts and a wiring connector that you must remove in order to remove the mirror and completely expose the strip. With an 8mm socket wrench, remove the three nuts then use a flat-head to remove the wires from the mirror. Then use the flat-head to press in the round plastic clips on the top and bottom of the connector and catch the mirror.

10. Now you are ready to remove the window trim. Start by slowly pulling up the end of the strip that was behind the mirror and take your flat-head and press firmly up and in on the white plastic clips that connect the strip to the metal door frame. You will need to press pretty hard and you will hear a loud click when the clip releases. Make sure to continuously be pulling up on the strip from the direction of the mirror and repeat on each clip all the way to the end of the door. Eventually you will be able to pry the strip completely away. Enjoy.

Last edited by ShawnBfromSD; 12-22-2012 at 04:15 PM.