Notices

Rust repair tips on how to weld 88-91 CRX rear quarter panels/rocker panels

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2004, 08:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rust repair tips on how to weld 88-91 CRX rear quarter panels/rocker panels

<U>I have added pictures of the cancer on the car. Its a 8 replies down.</U>

UPDATED 7-05-04
UPDATED 6-02-04.

I just picked up a 88 CRX ($260) and it has a little bit of surface rust but on the passenger side rear quarter panel it has a hole right through it.
1. I was wondering what type of metal should be used if I want to patch it up with a weld?

2. What type of heat should be used (just a acetylene/oxygen in a neutral flame)? Will it warp the panel?

3. The hole is right around where the fender tucks under into the fender well (on the lip of it) Will this be okay to weld?

4. 88-91 CRX's are stamped sheet metal correct? If so, is there certain steps to be followed when welding on it?

5. I'm from Minnesota land of corrosion!

Any help would be appreciated and if you are going to get after me to search I did but I guess I may not be the best searcher. I'll trying getting some pics up.

Modified by vtecn8ive at 11:39 PM 6/2/2004

Modified by vtecn8ive at 11:40 PM 6/2/2004

Modified by vtecn8ive at 4:36 AM 7/5/2004
Old 05-31-2004, 11:27 PM

Default Re: Rust repair tips on how to weld 88-91 CRX rear quarter panels/rocker panels (vtecn8ive)

Use galvanized steel, as it always works.
Old 06-01-2004, 05:52 AM

Default Re: Rust repair tips on how to weld 88-91 CRX rear quarter panels/rocker panels (shaddr3)

you can not use galvanized steel, it off-gasses when welded.
Old 06-01-2004, 06:10 AM

Default Re: Rust repair tips on how to weld 88-91 CRX rear quarter panels/rocker panels (Mleach)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Mleach &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">you can not use galvanized steel, it off-gasses when welded. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Yeah, and they are toxic. You have to use proper ventilation and some sort of breathing apparatus.
Old 06-01-2004, 08:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Rust repair tips on how to weld 88-91 CRX rear quarter panels/rocker panels (mandopr77)

Ill make this one realllllllly easy....Take it to a bodyshop, and get it professionally done if you dont want it to look like ***
Old 06-01-2004, 09:04 AM
MEAT PATTY

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Rust repair tips on how to weld 88-91 CRX rear quarter panels/rocker panels (vtecn8ive)

Anyone who has ever taken it to a body shop before for a repair like this. How much did it cost you? I need to do the same thing but on both sides. I guess I get what I pay for considering I only paid $100 for the hatch
Old 06-01-2004, 09:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Rust repair tips on how to weld 88-91 CRX rear quarter panels/rocker panels (goforbroke)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by I3ackfire &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Ill make this one realllllllly easy....Take it to a bodyshop, and get it professionally done if you dont want it to look like *** </TD></TR></TABLE>

Hey if I wanted to know how much it would cost to get it repaired I would have asked "how much to get a rust hole repaired?"

I want to know for my personal satisfaction. And I'm sure other people would also want to know "how to".

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Mleach &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">you can not use galvanized steel, it off-gasses when welded. </TD></TR></TABLE>

What type of metal should I use? And what type of torch/flame?

This is for the ones helping the situation.
Old 06-01-2004, 09:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Just found that my Rocker panel is pretty much rusted all the way through is there a way around this or should I just spot weld (weld pieces where I need to)??

Any and all help will be appreciated.
Old 06-02-2004, 08:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

This is some of the rust on the rocker panel.

Here you can see that it goes all along the rocker panel!!

This is a shot of the other rocker panel

The dark spot on the rear quarter panel is the rust that goes all the way through.

A friend told me I shoud look for CRX's in the junk yard and just chop of the parts that aren't rusted and weld them on. It sounds like a good idea. Any input on that?

Also:
<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by vtecn8ive &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I just picked up a 88 CRX ($260) and it has a little bit of surface rust but on the passenger side rear quarter panel it has a hole right through it.
1. I was wondering what type of metal should be used if I want to patch it up with a weld?

2. What type of heat should be used (just a acetylene/oxygen in a neutral flame)? Will it warp the panel?

3. The hole is right around where the fender tucks under into the fender well (on the lip of it) Will this be okay to weld?

4. 88-91 CRX's are stamped sheet metal correct? If so, is there certain steps to be followed when welding on it?

5. I'm from Minnesota land of corrosion!

Any help would be appreciated and if you are going to get after me to search I did but I guess I may not be the best searcher. I'll trying getting some pics up.

</TD></TR></TABLE>
Old 06-02-2004, 08:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

hit those areas with a grinder or air powered angle grinder, nothing too agressive. get rid of all the loose rust and the paint in the surrounding area. go to the parts store and look for a product called "Rust Mort," its a rust converter. use it on anything that is left after removing the big stuff and it will eliminate the rust. then if necessary, start welding things up. i would go to your local trusted shop to ask and see if it is worth it to try the rusted through areas on your own, as it is a pretty big project for a novice to bodywork.

hope i helped some.
Old 06-02-2004, 09:01 PM

Default Re: (Sobe_Death)

a grinder and fiberglass are your best friends in this case...that thing is pretty eaten, its gonna need some good keemo to cure that cancer. use as much steel as you possibly can and protect it all with POR-15
Old 06-02-2004, 09:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

with out splash guards cause that rust between the door latches?
Old 06-02-2004, 09:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (CyniKal.Mindset)

Hey thanks you guys. I am planning on grinding it all down tomorrow. (NO SCHOOL (college) )
I had a question about the 'Rust Mort'...
Is this stuff like a paste or does it absorb in? Can the Rust Mort be welded over?
I really want to trying doing this all myself but if I keep f*cking up (when I try) then I'll eventually bring it to a shop (j/k).

Anybody know how much it runs to get peices like that welded on?

What type of metal should be used?
and
What type of flame?

Another for those who are helping the situation.

Modified by vtecn8ive at 4:34 AM 6/3/2004
Old 06-03-2004, 07:58 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (vtecn8ive)

This was my project over the winter...

Here was the begginning and middle

The stuff i used was some white thick syrupy stuff that turned the bare metal areas to black. First of course you grind/cut all the rust out and then wire brush the areas that have surface rust then paint this stuff on. I got it at pep boys for like $5 a pint.
Old 06-03-2004, 08:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (AgentJam)

Are those pieces welded on from a different car?
How much did those pieces run cause I've been calling around and so far 200 bucks will get me them To me it sounds way to over priced for someone to just cut some metal off.

Do you recall what the stuff was called that you applied?
So did you put the stuff on after you got done grinding it to bare metal?
What type of weld did you use?

Thanks that helps me to know that there is hope after all. O' yeah how long did it take you to get down (do you think if you did it everyday)?
Old 06-03-2004, 10:00 AM

God this brings back memories.

Result...
Old 06-03-2004, 10:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (AgentJam)

crx_88_si or AgentJam,
did u weld any metal to patch any holes? or did u strictly use body filler?

after grinding/sanding away loose rust, what do u do for the parts that have been eaten away? i dont understand how that could be fixed other than by welding metal back on...
Old 06-03-2004, 10:27 AM

Default Re: (rasta420)

planning on doing this to my car this weekend. this post really helps. thanx. would it be possible for you to post pics of it step by step when you are done?
Old 06-03-2004, 10:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (rasta420)

grinding just loose rust wont stop the rust from eating away the rest of your car... you got to grind that rust all the way up until you are to the clean metal... meaning you just got to grind until you dont see a single rust then partially grind some of the clean metal... just to ensure that you got all the rust out and this will prevent from having the rust come back....HTH
The following users liked this post:
Old 06-03-2004, 10:52 AM

Default Re: (92integra_gs)

For me i bought a set of panels from some guys parts car in maryland for $100 which was really cheap...some guy near me wanted $400 for both and they weren't perfect either.

If you look at my 2nd pic it shows the patch pieces that i cut from the Purple crx parts car and welded them on with a gas sheilded MIG welder, forget what size spool exactly but something thin and had the voltage way down to i didn't burn through the thin sheet metal. Welding these patch pieces came only after grinding ALL rust off. Then i took a wire wheel to the welded piece and welded seams and brushed on the "rust inhibitor" just go to pep boys and look in the paint isle you'll find it.

Then i sanded that and primered it and sanded.

Body filler is only for smoothing out the surfaces after you've welded pieces in...as you can see in my 3rd pic half my dor has filler on it which is only about 1/16" thick. Those were just minor dings/dents in my door that needed to be filled and sanded. Remember that's all filler is for...

This whole ordeal took me about 2-3 months of probably 30 hours a week to complete. It was my first time doing this sort of thing and i wanted to do it right. I also had to weld in metal all the way from the front of the car to the back where the side skirt metal was rusted away just like in 88 crx Si's pics. I also had a football sized hole in each floor pan and a few holes in the trunk area...go figure.

Vince
Old 06-03-2004, 10:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (92integra_gs)

Well this is what I'll be doing today (hopefully not) and tomorrow...
Due to lack of funds I got take steps to getting this done but I will keep everyone posted
First I'm going clean the surrounding paint with grease/wax remover and then take the grinder to the rust til I ge some shiny metal.

After I am done I will put some metal cleaner,

Next put some primer (anti-rust)

Then spray some paint on it.

I'm not going to be able to weld until July (due to a busy life )

I talk to a guy that does some painting and he told me to do all these steps that way the corrosion doesn't happen again.
He told me to use a epoxy (or something like that) to seal it but I don't have a spray gun right now.

I'll try to ge some pics up by this weekend of my progress.

O'yeah I began my search for a CRX that has some clean rear quarter panels and running boards. I'm going to cut those off the donor car and weld them on to my car.
Old 06-03-2004, 07:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

yeah man, the Rust Mort is an acid, so get some quality acid resistant gloves to work with it. just brush it on( follow directions) and 24 hours later you can work with it. ive welded on it before and no apparent weakness in those welds vs welds on non-converted areas.
Old 06-04-2004, 06:01 AM

yah i know the feeling of rust. it sucks i need to have mine fixed ASAP. im thinking it should be alright for now since there is no salt on the ground and then next winter after i get my siR front end and everything i should be able to go ahead and get all of it painted.
Old 06-05-2004, 12:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (joesefcivic)

Well this is what is going on..
I've grinded down almost all the rust on 1 side-ALMOST!! Well I've decided to do it the easy way. Get rid of the car. J/K Nah I got a rear clip from the junkyard 200 bucks!. So I'll be cutting and pasting at the end of the month.

This is what I've done so far..
Used a Wax/Grease remover on the paint around the rust.
Grinded the rust away till I seen NO pits.
-I actually cut the big pieces off
-Then I grinded it all down to nice silver metal.
After the rust was clear I wiped off the dirt
Then I used a metal cleaner (to make sure it won't rust)
Next I put a Anti-rust primer
Finally painted it a slightly similar color.

This is just temperary till I am ready to weld.

I got the entire rear clip (minus all the detachable parts
This will save me all the cosmetics of trying to bend the metal to shape it right.

I'll keep everyone posted on how the rust turns out.

I figure this would be good information also...
The places I've found rust:
-both rear quarter panels
-rocker panels(running boards) when you take the side skirts off
-door jams
-the rear bumper support
-on the doors by the handles
-not much by the moldings but there was slight
-the front fenders

Some of these places are hidden so you wouldn't even know until you take off (lets say the side skirts, this is a big one) and ta-da you have magical brown spots and holes. So check over you car.

The worst spot I found on mine were when I took off the sideskirts and the molding near the front tires these are going to be the most challenging cause they are round about 3-4 things mount at that point, so far the junkyard ones are all rust through also! Check your CRX's if you don't want the cancer.
Old 06-05-2004, 01:45 PM

Default Re: (vtecn8ive)

im cutting out quarters on a donor car tomororw hopefully depending on rain..ill take pictures and show step by step of installing them when i get a chance in the next month...

DEF

Quick Reply: Rust repair tips on how to weld 88-91 CRX rear quarter panels/rocker panels