Notices
Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

Rear wheel drive

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2008, 08:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear wheel drive

Has any one ever heard of or thought about creating a rear wheel drive accord? Tell me what you think!
Old 06-18-2008, 09:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Rear wheel drive (Hharrishonda)

It's been done to Preludes and it's a TON of work. I think that it won't happen.
Old 06-18-2008, 02:49 PM
He knows where you live!

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Christ.

I know it's been done in an Integra, not a prelude. Buy a RWD car if you want RWD you don't convert.
Old 06-18-2008, 03:39 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: (TheMuffinMan)

Unless you plan on doing all the custom work your self and have ALOT of free time and money its not even worth it. There is not point in doing a RWD convertion except to say that you have one.
Old 06-18-2008, 08:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by TheMuffinMan &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
I know it's been done in an Integra, not a prelude. Buy a RWD car if you want RWD you don't convert.</TD></TR></TABLE>

There's a 5th gen Prelude drag car (RWD) and there was that famous 4G Prelude RWD build a while back...though I guess he stopped right before he finished it. Also that 'Civette' build was a RWD Civic hatch. There's many more I'm sure...
Old 06-19-2008, 08:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Hawkze_2.3)

I have definitely thought about this. I can't believe all the non -wrenching believers on here, haha. I saw a thread awhile back about an integra with a h22 in it. The front wheel drive engine/powertrain design is nice because is compact and to move it to the rear or mid of a car is easy to configure. The actual work would be time consuming but so is sitting on the couch. In a 4 door it would be COOL because the rear doors could open as access to the engine. Moving the engine and tranny to the rear would take strengthening the unibody and modifying the shock towers, creating an engine mounting system and extending wiring harness. It would be cool to have the radiator, battery, and washer fluid all up front and the engine in the back. A good firewall would also have to be made. I'm only 18 now but before I'm 40 I seriously hope to have done this. It would be so much fun to do and the result would be worth it in joy and bragging rights.
Old 06-19-2008, 08:33 PM

Default Re: (AccordVT)

Seriously???

Why???

Just buy a 240 if you want RWD, if you want power too, buy just about any old Chevy.

Let's see, you would have to reposition the engine, create a whole new front suspension, figure out what transmission you would use, modify the floor pan and fire-wall to fit said transmission, you'd have to modify the rest of the floor pan to clear the drive-shaft, then you'd have to figure out what kind of rear-end you'd use, whether you'd go solid-axle or IRS, then adapt it to the floorpan of the Honda, thusly creating a whole new rear suspension as well.

Seriously, you can buy '98-'02 Camaros for under $10k and they've got 350 hp.

Having a RWD Accord isn't really worth bragging about, what are you going to do, drift it????

Ok, I have to admit that making it mid-engine RWD would be kinda cool
Old 06-19-2008, 10:52 PM

Default Re: (The_Caged_Bird)

I think a rwd accord would be baller... would it not? yes not worth the money but if you were givin the choice of a 240sx and an RWD accord w/h22 and it was done right... I would totally be all over the accord... If I get rich ne time soon I'll go for it... lol dont hold your breath on me gettin rich ne time soon.
Old 06-20-2008, 02:40 AM
He knows where you live!

Default Re: (Hawkze_2.3)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Hawkze_2.3 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

There's a 5th gen Prelude drag car (RWD) and there was that famous 4G Prelude RWD build a while back...though I guess he stopped right before he finished it. Also that 'Civette' build was a RWD Civic hatch. There's many more I'm sure...</TD></TR></TABLE>

Lol, well the Civette you gotta toss out, the damn engine went all the way to where the dashboard was and the tranny even further.

I *think* I recall that Prelude, there's a pic of it on jackstands in a garage right?

Never saw that 5th gener though!
Old 06-20-2008, 02:41 AM
He knows where you live!

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by AccordVT &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I have definitely thought about this. I can't believe all the non -wrenching believers on here, haha. I saw a thread awhile back about an integra with a h22 in it. The front wheel drive engine/powertrain design is nice because is compact and to move it to the rear or mid of a car is easy to configure. The actual work would be time consuming but so is sitting on the couch. In a 4 door it would be COOL because the rear doors could open as access to the engine. Moving the engine and tranny to the rear would take strengthening the unibody and modifying the shock towers, creating an engine mounting system and extending wiring harness. It would be cool to have the radiator, battery, and washer fluid all up front and the engine in the back. A good firewall would also have to be made. I'm only 18 now but before I'm 40 I seriously hope to have done this. It would be so much fun to do and the result would be worth it in joy and bragging rights.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Which is the car I was referring to, that is still slow and is completely 1 off and the guy did all the work himself if I recall.

And by 40 I hope you're playing with something more than a 50 yr old Accord
Old 06-20-2008, 06:24 AM
H-T Order of Merit

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by TheMuffinMan &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I *think* I recall that Prelude, there's a pic of it on jackstands in a garage right?

Never saw that 5th gener though!</TD></TR></TABLE>

yes, that would be it.

never seen the 5th gen either, pics?

Also, I believe there was a RWD Del Sol or two. One with a tube frame front and rear with a H22 in the rear.
Old 06-20-2008, 10:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by TheMuffinMan &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Lol, well the Civette you gotta toss out, the damn engine went all the way to where the dashboard was and the tranny even further.

I *think* I recall that Prelude, there's a pic of it on jackstands in a garage right?

Never saw that 5th gener though!</TD></TR></TABLE>

Haha, yeah that Civic was quote a project...not exactly an ergonomic masterpiece though

I can't for the life of me find the 5th gen pics, but it was basically a tube frame drag car with a Prelude body. Like those 'Camaro' drag cars, but it had a bada$$ turbo H22, a blue tube frame, and a really wild paint job.

Edit: Nevermind, found it!

Here's more of the 4th gen...it made it off the jack stands

Old 06-20-2008, 07:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

their is a guy over at 3gees.com that doing this hes using the subframe from a 4th gen accord and an h22, its about done too

http://www.3geez.com/forum/showthread.php?t=64572
Old 06-20-2008, 09:13 PM

1991 Honda Accord LX REAR WHEEL DRIVE
http://youtube.com/watch?v=5AcUor9EtI8
Old 06-20-2008, 09:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (The_Caged_Bird)

HEY CAGED BIRD.. I WASTHINKING THE SAME THING AS I WAS READING IT.. why go through all that work instead of just buying a $2,000-$3,000 240sx and then build the engine and turbo it!?!?! MCFLY!! THINK MCFLY!!!
Old 06-21-2008, 10:24 PM

if u got the time and money then i think its worth the swap but its gona have a **** load of fabrication im planing on cutting my fire wall and floor and pretty much alot of the center of the car to make room for a RB26det its a 92 honda accord coupe
Old 06-22-2008, 01:50 PM

Default Re: Rear wheel drive (prime808)

mid engine sol :

thread: https://honda-tech.com/zero...age=1
Old 06-27-2008, 06:56 AM

well i have to agree with you it would be worth the bragging rights