Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Best Motor Oil...

Old 04-18-2008, 09:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best Motor Oil...

Okay, I've read most of the forums on oils, and there are a few people who mention what brand and type they use. I'm looking for some practical guidance backed up by experience, so let's get the understood out the way.

---------------------

1) Synthetic vs. Conventional - Typically, synthetics are better, especially in high-performance, or brand-new engines. I think that this can be agreed upon. It maintains viscosity better and does not break down like conventional oil. It is comprised of smaller molecules and thus while it goes more places, it also may "reveal" leaks in older unconditioned seals.

2) Brands - It can be accepted that for the most part oil is oil. It is the additives and detergents that make different brands of conventional oils different. With synthetics, the variation is often wider due to various proprietary formulations of synthetic lubricants and additives. And granted, some generic brands are in fact manufactured by some "name" brands.

3) Engines and Maintenance - Depending on the state of the motor (wear) and the maintenance routine (interval), different oils can be used. For longer intervals, more additives need to be added to conventional oils, for increased wear, likewise, there may be special additives that both act to protect surfaces and condition seals. With synthetics, their resistance to break down makes them sympathetic to longer change intervals, while it may be commonly regarded that the composition of a synthetic lends itself to becoming slightly thinner than conventional oil and that it may permeate through older seals. Newer, and higher performance engines typically respond more to synthetics, while at the same time the protection given may be suitable for the long run on typical daily driver purposed vehicles.

4) Weights - the oil weight is a measure of its viscosity. Variable weight oils have a viscosity that changes and is affected most by temperature. It is thicker for cold startups (when protection is needed the most) then thins out as the temperature increases. The climate as well as condition of the motor affect the weight selection. The manufacturer often suggest the oil weight that will work to optimize performance (lightest) and provide adequate protection within the majority of climates. For warmer climates, typically a heavier (higher number) can be selected (i.e. it never goes below 40 and is often more than 90, sometimes in the 100's - 10W30 or 10W40 instead of 5W30). The converse is also true for seasonally colder climates (i.e. it never gets above 80 and is sometime below 0 - 5W20 instead of 5W30 or 10W30). Older engines, much older, with worn out seals, etc., that may be burning or leaking some oil may respond to heavier oils to some degree. This will decrease performance, but performance isn't and shouldn't be the goal at this point. Thus, stepping up to 20W40 or 20W50 will provide relatively increased protection.

-------------------

FINALLY - The question for your consideration:

- What oil are you using successfully?
Include:
Car Make/Model/Year
Role of car (Daily Driver/Performance/Both?)
Mileage
Maintenance interval (OilChange, etc.)
Brand/Type/Weight of Oil
If using synthetic, when did you switch?
Overall experience good or bad.

------------------------------------------

Example:

2000 Honda Civic LX (EJ6/D16Y7)
Daily Driver (Gas Miser, hopefully)
Every 3000, or soon thereafter.
Penz/Conv/5W30 High Mileage
Wondering about switching to synthetic before it's too late...

--------------------------------------------

Thank you in advance to all who participate.
Old 04-18-2008, 11:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Best Motor Oil... (themunchkinman)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by themunchkinman &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Typically, synthetics are better, especially in high-performance, or brand-new engines.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Typically, I would disagree on the new engine part of that statement. I'm sure everyone has their $0.02 to put in, but my opinion is this. If the cylinder walls were properly honed, you want the increased friction of conventional oil for the piston rings to seat properly.

btw, I'll play
2000 Civic Ex w/ JDM B18C GSR
performance oriented DD
82k chassis, ~40k on motor
3k oil changes
Mobil1 synth 5w-30, switched from conv. with swap, no issues
Old 04-18-2008, 12:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Best Motor Oil... (Blk00EJ8)

I have been wondering if i should go full synthetic. I use the synthetic blend, not sure what category that falls under.

94 Civic Dx w/JDM B18C GSR
DD and little track
50k+ on motor
2k-3k oil changes
Castrol synthetic blend 5w-30
Old 04-18-2008, 12:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by themunchkinman &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

- What oil are you using successfully?
Include:
Car Make/Model/Year
Role of car (Daily Driver/Performance/Both?)
Mileage
Maintenance interval (OilChange, etc.)
Brand/Type/Weight of Oil
If using synthetic, when did you switch?
Overall experience good or bad.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

2008 Toyota Yaris (daily driver)
4358 miles
coming up on it's first change.
recently purchased oem oil filter and Castrol 10W-30 Synthetic oil.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1993 Honda Civic (weekend warrior)
82,412 miles.
oil is changed on a average of 6 months.
Castrol 10W-30 Conventional oil.
Had the motor at 54,000 miles, never used synthetic oil, plan to when ever i get around to the build. almost at 30,000 miles since i had the motor, no problems.

though, the civic is driven maybe once a week (if that), i tend to stretch out the changes in between. being that the yaris is my daily driver, i put alot of miles daily. i've only owned the car for alittle over 2 months. i figured i start now with synthetic oil and try to give it the best protection as possibel, being that this car/motor must last a very long time. i'm always on point when it comes to my oil changes, tune ups, etc. everything is done by the book!
Old 04-18-2008, 12:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Exactly what I was thinking. I'll be using non-syn with no detergents when breaking in my "new" block.
Old 04-18-2008, 01:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Best Motor Oil... (blk92_d16)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by blk92_d16 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Exactly what I was thinking. I'll be using non-syn with no detergents when breaking in my "new" block. </TD></TR></TABLE>

hmmm...but doesn't european motors require synthetic oil? what about when they are brand new cars? i know Mercedes is one of them.

and yes i know Mercedes and Hondas are on a totally different scale, but i'm asking in the sense on how synthetics would apply to a brand new motor.

also, what do you guys consider a motor to be broken into as far as miles go?
Old 04-19-2008, 07:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Best Motor Oil... (philosofy1)

This is a good read:
https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=878397
Old 04-19-2008, 07:43 AM
Resident Gearhead

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

**See cars in sig**

When I got my B16A back in '01, I took the valve cover off to change the gaskets and seals and I found that the previous owner didn't change the oil frequently. Everything under the VC was sorched <FONT COLOR="brown">DARK BROWN</FONT>. I was like is this thing even going to run?!?

7 years later, running nothing but Castrol Hi-Mi oil, it still doesn't burn abnormal amounts of oil.

Needless to say, when I got my EJ6 last fall (bought it as a shell) and put a used motor in it I filled it up with Castrol Hi-Mi.
Old 04-19-2008, 08:58 AM

x2...castrol high mileage..best stuff out there...and yeah shitty conv. oil is best for breaking in new blocks
Old 04-19-2008, 09:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

honda/civic ex/93
Daily Driver
259 XXX km
every 5000 km
Quaker State Q/ 5W30/Synthetic
Using synthetic when i got the car
Good
Old 04-19-2008, 09:11 AM

I use whatever i can get cheap! Just did a mini me swap and was using old super tech sythetic. Just changed oil today to mobil 5000 conventional 5w-30. V-tec is a lot more noticeable with the new oil change dont kno why but it is. Couyldnt even here it in first gear before and now its like... blaaah...BLAAAAAHHH!

99 civic cx with y7/y8 mini me.(dd)
Changed oil regularly
Pobly run full synthetic next change tho.
Old 04-19-2008, 09:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Blk00EJ8 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">This is a good read:
https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=878397</TD></TR></TABLE>

good thread, but i think that applies more to a engine rebuild, maybe more on the performance side. i asked about the break in point on a normally stock motor. the manufacture has already tuned this motor to where it needs to be. this is a completely stock motor, no performance parts have been or will be added.
Old 04-19-2008, 01:31 PM

Amsoil Asl 5w30
97 Civic B18C
Daily Driver/Performance
119,000 miles on engine
15k-20k miles between changes
Switched to synthetic at time of swap approx 40k miles on engine at that time.
Good experience I previously used M1, but I have been driving alot of miles and got tired of changing the oil. I change the oil every 15k-20k miles even though it is still good till 25k miles. Engine seems quieter than with M1, less valve noise than previously. No noticeable change in performance other than 1-2mpg gain in mileage.
Old 04-19-2008, 02:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I am currently running 5w-30 ams-oil on my lsvtec hatch. I thought it ran better with it. But I could be wrong. But it just felt happier. lol.
Old 04-19-2008, 06:17 PM
Resident Gearhead

Default Everyone

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 1990_integra_DA9 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I am currently running 5w-30 ams-oil on my lsvtec hatch. I thought it ran better with it. But I could be wrong. But it just felt happier. lol.</TD></TR></TABLE>
<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by gents97civ &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Amsoil Asl 5w30
97 Civic B18C
Daily Driver/Performance
119,000 miles on engine
15k-20k miles between changes
</TD></TR></TABLE>

I work at a Landscaping company and our mechanic insists on using Amsoil on our Walker mowers. Their Kohler engines are rated at a liftime of 2000 hrs @ full throttle and 50 hrs oil changes. They get way more than that between changes, way more, and still get to 2000 hrs (suposed lifetime min).

I have to say

Modified by mcvtec at 8:11 PM 4/21/2008
Old 04-19-2008, 09:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Everyone (mcvtec)

That is the only full synthetic oil i use at my work. Unless recommended otherwise by customers. The Amsoil gear oils are the only thing we use on differentials and manual trannies. WHich may be a little more expensive but are worth every cent and you get a lot more miles out of it and everything just seems to work that much better.
Old 04-19-2008, 10:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Blk00EJ8 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Typically, I would disagree on the new engine part of that statement. I'm sure everyone has their $0.02 to put in, but my opinion is this. If the cylinder walls were properly honed, you want the increased friction of conventional oil for the piston rings to seat properly.

btw, I'll play
2000 Civic Ex w/ JDM B18C GSR
performance oriented DD
82k chassis, ~40k on motor
3k oil changes
Mobil1 synth 5w-30, switched from conv. with swap, no issues </TD></TR></TABLE>

I don't think it would matter, oil shouldn't get into the cylinders. The only oil that would be in the cylinders on a brand new engine is the oil used when honing them. I like synthetic better, only because I've read they leave less gunk in your engine. If I had a daily driver, no performance, I would use regular oil because it's cheaper. But if I were to try and grab every hp I can get, I would go with synthetic.

Non honda car. atm
Love racing imports with my gas guzzling v6, but still a dd.
690,000+ on odo but really is only 152k
3 month oil changes since the odo doesn't work anymore. It's stuck at 690k+
Cheapest Oil I can get my hands on. 5w-30.
Old 04-19-2008, 10:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Best Motor Oil... (Hanmin)

greddy or mobile 1
Old 04-20-2008, 07:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Best Motor Oil... (Hanmin)

oil shouldnt get into the cylinders? they didnt put the oil rings on the pistons for no reason...
or the squirters on the bottom of the cylinders on b series vtec blocks..
holes in the rod bearins, rods...
Old 04-20-2008, 08:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Best Motor Oil... (geebs)

Second choice oil is Valvoline, that i used for 6 years from the mechanic shop i worked at. But been with Mobil for ever with that 6 year stint

95 civic ex
Daily/and fun
170.xxx
every 3500 to 4k
Mobil "since my first 85 accord" 10w-40 now
great oil, always has been for me.
Old 04-20-2008, 08:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Best Motor Oil... (Blzdeep)

more or less....its a personal preference..Just try a few different oils. see what you like. Then go with it.
Old 04-20-2008, 09:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Best Motor Oil... (geebs)

regardless, its not supposed to get into the cylinder, a motor isnt supposed to burn oil. Oil is there just to lubricate. I don't know about where all the oil squirters are, but even if theres one right under a cylinder spraying under the piston, its not gunna get in. If anything only a tiny amount. Oil is just there to reduce friction. That's it. Some just has it's own side effects. That's my 2 cents.
Old 04-20-2008, 10:36 AM

I have a quick question about motor oil for my car. Its a b16a2 with a lot of miles, not sure. It burns oil, so im using 10w-30 castrol hi-mil synthetic oil. Is that ok? or is it always best to stick with 5w-30 oil.
Old 04-20-2008, 01:16 PM

castrol doesnt make a high mileage synthetic...
Old 04-21-2008, 04:08 PM
Resident Gearhead

Default Re: (spray_bombed)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by spray_bombed &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">castrol doesnt make a high mileage synthetic... </TD></TR></TABLE>

LOL x2

Not the first time I've heard this.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Best Motor Oil...