Notices
Honda Accord & Crosstour (2003 - 2012) 2003 - 2012 Honda Accord and Inspire

Radio Code on Card Doesn't Work?

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2008, 01:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Radio Code on Card Doesn't Work?

Trying to help my neighbor unlock her Factory OEM Honda CD player after her battery terminal was replaced. She has her 5 digit unlock code from the factory card supplied with the manual. However, when the radio displays "Code" and we enter the unlock code, it continues to say "Err n" where n is the number of tries we have performed. After 3 I gave up because there must be a problem.

As a side note, I believe the CD unit needs to be replaced anyways because she has a stuck CD in the player which gives her an error code. Radio played fine, but the CD player would not play. I was hoping to reset the player in an attempt to see if it would help, but now her code doesn't seem to work. Thanks for the help in advance.

Modified by chris00tt at 3:16 PM 3/16/2008
Old 03-16-2008, 01:56 PM

What brand is the cd player? I know you probably dont want to contact the manufacturer.
Old 03-16-2008, 02:16 PM

Default Re: (craig34)

This is the Factory OEM Honda unit.
Old 03-21-2008, 04:38 AM

Default Re: (chris00tt)

if she purchased the car used, the dealership might have givin her a code from a diff car. I would imagine either the dealership or the manufacturer could give you the code from your VIN number
Old 04-01-2008, 10:04 AM

Default Re: (lowkee642)

I can retrieve the anti-theft code, but I'll need the serial number of the radio.

Dealerships (where I work) can't obtain the radio anti-theft code without the serial number.

The serial number should be written on the card (radio anti-theft code is the 5-digit number; the serial number is the longer number).

Or, it could be written in your Honda Service History booklet which should have come with the car (unless it was a used car, then it's purely chance).

Another method to retrieve the serial number is by removing the fuse to the radio, typically labeled "back-up" in the under-hood fuse box. After it has been out for about a minute, replace it in the fuse box. Then, sit inside the passenger cabin of the vehicle, and on your radio, hold "1" and "6" down together with one hand, and with the other hand (while still holding "1" and "6" down), press the power button. Continue to hold "1" and "6" (you can let off the power button, however) and you should see digits on the radio screen.

It should be the letter "U" followed by four numerals, and then the letter "L" followed by four numerals. Disregard the letters; the numbers after "U" plus the numbers after "L" comprise your serial number, respectively.

That method of electronic serial number retrieval works on most Hondas, not all.
Old 04-07-2008, 06:42 PM

It's probably the wrong code. If you cant get the serial number, this is what you do: Disconnect the battery for a few minutes, then connect it just to reset the radio. With the key turned to accessory mode (past the first click but not yet ignition) and with the radio currently off, simultaneously press the 1 and 6 button. With those buttons held down with one hand, hit the power button for the radio. The screen will display two four digit codes, one after the next. Call up the dealer and give them those two codes, they should be able to retrieve the head unit code for you.

Modified by Redliner886 at 7:51 PM 4/7/2008
Old 04-09-2008, 08:14 PM

the code should be on a sticker in the glove box.
Old 04-15-2008, 05:52 AM

Default Re: (ohiodrummer3171)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ohiodrummer3171 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">the code should be on a sticker in the glove box.</TD></TR></TABLE>
No, it shouldn't.

The only number that should be on the sticker in the glove box is the radio serial number, not the radio anti-theft code.

Let's think about it.

If you have the radio anti-theft code plastered on a sticker, it gives a thief the number he needs to activate that radio when he jacks it from the dash.

A thief can't do anything with the S/N unless he's a thief working at a Honda dealership.
Old 04-15-2008, 05:53 AM

Default Re: (Redliner886)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Redliner886 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">It's probably the wrong code. If you cant get the serial number, this is what you do: Disconnect the battery for a few minutes, then connect it just to reset the radio. With the key turned to accessory mode (past the first click but not yet ignition) and with the radio currently off, simultaneously press the 1 and 6 button. With those buttons held down with one hand, hit the power button for the radio. The screen will display two four digit codes, one after the next. Call up the dealer and give them those two codes, they should be able to retrieve the head unit code for you.

</TD></TR></TABLE>
Yeah, what I said...
Old 04-15-2008, 05:59 AM

Default New Message on 4/11/2008

The Parts & Service Operations Division launched an online anti-theft code retrieval tool for radio and navigation units on the Honda brand site, as well as Ownerlink on April 10, 2008. This site is for owner use.

Online anti-theft code retrieval will be available to the customer Monday thru Friday from 4:00am – 9pm PST and Saturday and Sunday from 4:00am – 6:30pm PST.

With the radio/navigation codes available online, customers no longer need to make a dealer visit or a call to American Honda each time their battery is disconnected. Eliminating the cost, time, and frustration associated with this traditional process will lead to a reduced number of calls to American Honda, increased available shop hours, and improve overall customer satisfaction.

While this tool is specifically targeted at improving convenience for the customer, we are also committed to security and protecting customer information. Customers will have three attempts to authenticate their VIN + Phone + ZIP before being locked out of the system. They will then have to resort to the traditional method. Therefore, the anti-theft codes will still be available on the Interactive Network (iN). System unlock capabilities will be available via phone through Honda Customer Relations (800-999-1009).

As you can see, by making the anti-theft codes available online, we are making our brand sites and Ownerlink powerful customer interface tools that lead us to reduced costs, improved service capacity, and higher customer satisfaction. Please take full advantage of these benefits by spreading the word.
Old 05-18-2008, 07:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: New Message on 4/11/2008 (Power of Dreams)

here is the link to retrieve the radio code http://radio-navicode.honda.com/
you might need to register with honda ownerlink first http://www.ahm-ownerlink.com/ your phone number and zip code must be onfile with honda in order to retrieve the code.
Old 05-21-2008, 06:17 PM

Default Re: (Power of Dreams)

shocking but yeah my radio code was on the sticker inside my glove box. I wrote down the info thinking it was my full serial # and when I retrieved the code it was the top five digit number. I did remove the sticker afterwards though. Some Security

I got the code from https://radio-navicode.honda.com/ u just need the VIN your serial number and the registered tel# and zipcode
Old 06-14-2008, 08:58 AM

Default RE

OK, I called Honda and got the codes and I recommend this for all of you!

Modified by pamishes at 6:54 AM 6/16/2008
Old 11-05-2009, 01:39 PM
New User

Default Re: Radio Code on Card Doesn't Work?

Check it out.. replaced battery.. followed procedure with code & ser# in hand... no go, error error error.. double checked online.. same code, same ser#... based on someone's post here, checked for sticker in glove box.. punched in code... voila! sound... so perhaps I should leave the code card in the glovebox to confound the crooks... whatever!!!
Old 11-05-2009, 03:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

If it is an 03 what might have happened is some of the 03 ex's with the 6 disc in dash unit no navi were defective and honda replaced them by installing a new deck and the new deck had a different code. My sister's 03 ex had the recall and they installed a new deck along with a new radio code sticker in the glove, they didnt put the new code on the radio code card however.
Old 01-02-2010, 06:23 AM
New User

My problem is that the dealer did not put the sticker in/on the glove box. Therefore, I don't have the serial number or the code. How do I get the code since the website requires the serial number off the radio? Also, I don't understand why the serial number, if it is a security feature,is required since it is actually printed on the radio? If it isn't a security feature, why isn't it someplace that doesn't cost money to retrieve? Is the serial number anywhere else?
Old 01-02-2010, 06:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by bangorme
My problem is that the dealer did not put the sticker in/on the glove box. Therefore, I don't have the serial number or the code. How do I get the code since the website requires the serial number off the radio? Also, I don't understand why the serial number, if it is a security feature,is required since it is actually printed on the radio? If it isn't a security feature, why isn't it someplace that doesn't cost money to retrieve? Is the serial number anywhere else?
If the serial number isn't in the glove box, for 2001 and later models, you can get the serial number from the display. Follow the procedures in the link. You can then get the code by entering your VIN and the radio's serial number.

https://radio-navicode.honda.com/
Old 01-02-2010, 07:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Power of Dreams: Good info. Very useful posts. I, and I'm sure others, appreciate it.
Old 01-02-2010, 07:19 AM
New User

I have had my Honda Civic for 10 years. For some odd reason the code on the card (which matches the radio s/n in the glove box) isn't being accepted.

> I double-checked the code using the https://radio-navicode.honda.com/ website (reports the same code as on the card).

> I tried to verify the radio s/n using the procedure above (press 1,6,power) but that doesn't display the s/n (2000 civic si).

It is really weird - I've done this many times previously. The only change since the last time I did this is that my car now has a replacement engine (and possibly the ecu), but I can't see how that would make a difference.

I don't really want to pull the stereo out of the dash to verify the s/n. Any ideas?
Old 01-02-2010, 09:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

press 1 and 6 at the same time,than press power button(while holding 1 and 6). this will give u some numbers on the display. read them and write them down. this is the serial number. this works on newer honda's,not to sure if it will on ur car. doesnt hurt to try. than pm me if u'd like and i can get the radio code. i work at honda.
Old 01-02-2010, 09:18 AM
New User

Originally Posted by bb4socal
press 1 and 6 at the same time,than press power button(while holding 1 and 6).
Unfortunately that isn't working on this radio. I guess I'll need to pull the stereo from the dash to verify that the serial number matches the provided card & sticker in the glovebox and go from there. Thanks for your offer on checking the code.
Old 01-02-2010, 10:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Hi I just Bought a 2002 CRV From a Private Party I Just Called And Asked Them 4 The Code # Theirs no Stickers in or out Side The Car I Tryed Honda.com They Said I'm not in Theirs Files CAN SOMEONE HELP PLZ Serial # 13026319 Model # 39100-S9A-A200
alvarado626@aol.com TY
Old 01-03-2010, 03:42 PM
New User

I have 2006 honda pilot i am not original owner and can not retrieve code online. I have radio s/n what should i do??
Old 01-03-2010, 03:44 PM
New User

I need code for Honda Pilot radio s/n 11110585.
Thanks
Old 01-06-2010, 08:36 AM
New User

Originally Posted by Redliner886
If you cant get the serial number, this is what you do: Disconnect the battery for a few minutes, then connect it just to reset the radio.

Modified by Redliner886 at 7:51 PM 4/7/2008
Does it matter which terminal you disconnect first and would it hurt the computer in any way?

Quick Reply: Radio Code on Card Doesn't Work?