Notices
Paint and Body Auto Body Repair, Painting and Prep

Type of paint....glasurit or ppg...?????

Old 04-09-2008, 11:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Type of paint....glasurit or ppg...?????

ok guys i have a quick question before i decide on the type of paint that i am going to get. I am repainting my 2000 si and people keep telling me different things about the paint and clear to use. A lot of my friends that have repainted their cars have gone the ppg route but the guy painting my car said that glasurit is comparable to ppg and that he can get me a deal on the paint and clear if i decide to go that route.

I have researched the prices and they seem to pretty much the same (without discount). Has anyone had any bad experiences with glasurit or is it just as good. The car will be repainted the stock color NHB. Dont know if one or the other has better quality in the aspect of color.

Thanks in advance guys.....
Old 04-09-2008, 05:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Type of paint....glasurit or ppg...????? (2mansi)

glasurit will look the same as ppg, its good paint. the color aspect will depend on how the paint is mixed. if its a factory color it wouldnt be a big problem. if your painter can get glasurit for cheaper then ppg go for it.
Old 04-09-2008, 08:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Type of paint....glasurit or ppg...????? (boost'd_crx)

glasurit is very good paint... as far as PPG it depens on the line you speak of!!!

I would choose glasurit over ppg anything!!!!

just my two cents!

but I always prefer Sikkens auto base plus with auto clear III!!! the best IMO!!!

I have sprayed alot of products (deltron, Global, omni, shop line, diamont, glasurit, limco, utech, ECT., and clears and single stages from them all)!!!

good luck!!
Old 04-10-2008, 12:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Type of paint....glasurit or ppg...????? (88civic)

Thanks for all the input guys. I guess my next question is whatst the difference betweeen single stage and 3 stage clears? Is one better than the other?
Old 04-10-2008, 01:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Type of paint....glasurit or ppg...????? (2mansi)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 2mansi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Thanks for all the input guys. I guess my next question is whatst the difference betweeen single stage and 3 stage clears? Is one better than the other?</TD></TR></TABLE>

There's no such ting as 2 and 3 stage clears.

Single stage is base with a little clear mixed in. There is no top coat.

2 stage is a base coat with a clear coat sprayed over that.

3 stage is a base coat, a mid coat and a clear coat sprayed over that.

For your color 2 stage is your best option.
Old 04-11-2008, 11:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Type of paint....glasurit or ppg...????? (boost'd_crx)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by boost’d_crx &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> glasurit will look the same as ppg , its good paint. the color aspect will depend on how the paint is mixed. if its a factory color it wouldnt be a big problem. if your painter can get glasurit for cheaper then ppg go for it.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Thats is SO not true!!!!!,Glasurit is all around a better paint.Quality,color matches just about everything.Glasurit is used on almost every OEM factory exotic car.They wouldn't put glasurit on Ferrari,Lamborghini,Bugatti,etc....... If it's that good. If you can get Glasurit go for it.
Old 04-11-2008, 03:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Type of paint....glasurit or ppg...????? (blue2000em1)

Thanks guys. Looks like I'm going with glasurit......
Old 04-13-2008, 07:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Type of paint....glasurit or ppg...????? (88civic)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 88civic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
but I always prefer Sikkens auto base plus with auto clear III!!! the best IMO!!!
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Sikkens Auto Base Plus w/ Auto Clear HS+ for the win
Old 04-15-2008, 12:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Location: Streets of Sacramento...But now living in So Cal, usa
Default Re: Type of paint....glasurit or ppg...????? (blue2000em1)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by blue2000em1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Thats is SO not true!!!!!,Glasurit is all around a better paint.Quality,color matches just about everything.Glasurit is used on almost every OEM factory exotic car.They wouldn't put glasurit on Ferrari,Lamborghini,Bugatti,etc....... If it's that good. If you can get Glasurit go for it. </TD></TR></TABLE>

if your spraying a complete you cant tell. glasurit is easier to color match better than ppg i will agree on that but other than that same high quality as any other quality paint.
Old 04-15-2008, 12:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Type of paint....glasurit or ppg...????? (DA_teg04)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by DA_teg04 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Sikkens Auto Base Plus w/ Auto Clear HS+ for the win </TD></TR></TABLE>

color match wise, for sikkens all day... but ppg clear gets the win for me over any clear out there

Modified by 2'z kuztoms at 1:57 AM 4/15/2008
Old 04-15-2008, 10:22 AM

Default Re: Type of paint....glasurit or ppg...????? (2'z kuztoms)

Thats is SO not true!!!!!,Glasurit is all around a better paint.Quality,color matches just about everything.Glasurit is used on almost every OEM factory exotic car.They wouldn't put glasurit on Ferrari,Lamborghini,Bugatti,etc....... If it's that good. If you can get Glasurit go for it.

I hate to say this but Lamborghini's are actually painted with PPG with their global line, and for that matter the bodies are painted in germany before being shipped to Italy to be assembled.

Most every paint out there uses Dyes, Toners, Pearls, Micas and what not from similar, if not the same suppliers...and for the most part they are put together in a similar manner, not exactly the same but similar.

The big difference is the quality of the clears, some manufacuruers clears are really clear, some are more cloudy and have a poor distinctness of image. SOme have really high quality UV inhibitors which means the rate that the clear and base colour fade is quite slow, some do not have high quality inhibitors at all and they are crap so to speak. And some clears are contain ceramic base materials, on cars like Ferrari and Mercedes to keep the paints surface scratch free, well to keep the possibility of scratching down.

As for the PPG Glasurit debate, well they are both good paints in their own right, depending which of PPG's lines you deal with, If you were to go with DBC or Global you should be able to match any colour, and have a show quality finish. The same applies to Glasurit, which is a Brand under the BASF umbrella if I remember correctly, and it is akin to PPG's Global line.
Old 04-15-2008, 11:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Type of paint....glasurit or ppg...????? (DDEVIANT1)

it's not as important if you are spraying the whole car, the best paint is the one you are comfortable spraying and best at it.

i spray ppg and dupont most of the time, it's what do best for the money.

the better question is what is your budget? most of the higher line would have a superb finish for all brand, it all breaks down to what you like best.

for ppg i use dbc for low end job/daily driver job, you are looking at 5-6 buck for the whole car. I never shoot gasurit before frankly speaking, but if i have a chance i'll test it out since some of you guys are having a boner just but talking about it

btw what is honda's paint brand from the factory?
Old 04-28-2008, 05:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Type of paint....glasurit or ppg...????? (iam7head)

btw what is honda's paint brand from the factory?[/QUOTE]

depend where the car was manufacture