Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Whats the difference between Honda power steering fluid and others?

Old 03-22-2008, 09:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Whats the difference between Honda power steering fluid and others?

I was at autozone today picking up p/s fluid for my girlfriends car. Its a stock 99 ex. I noticed that there was a few different brands of fluid. She only drives her car about 100 mi per month so I didnt think it was necessary to spend extra on the brand name Honda fluid when I could get Autozone brand. Whats the difference in the two? Also, is there a problem with me using the Autozone brand in a Honda? I searched, but got no results. Thanks
Old 03-22-2008, 09:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

price ? heh..
Old 03-22-2008, 09:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

yes there is a problem, honda won't get a premium for charging you more for a repackaged product.

Old 03-22-2008, 09:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

yeah there no big difference. so people will argue that there is but if you just maintain the powersteering system when it is requiered you will be fine with autozone stuff
Old 03-22-2008, 09:57 PM
H-T White Ops

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

I'd really recommend using the Honda power steering fluid. I've heard it's more viscous than other power steering fluid, but I'm not really 100% sure on the difference. Either way, a couple bucks in savings of the initial fluid would really be a lot better than replacing the pump, new (correct) fluid, etc. and so forth.

Why not just play it safe?
Old 03-22-2008, 10:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (NOFX)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by NOFX &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Why not just play it safe?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Honestly, im out of money. Ive run into some bills and stuff and im strapped for cash until payday. I met her somewhere today and the pump was squealing and i checked it and went to the store to get some fluid. I had to dig change out of the floor to get the 1.50 or so that it cost and the honda brand was like $4. If i had the money i would have gotten honda but i just couldnt. I just wanted to make sure I was ok. Thanks for the help.
Old 03-22-2008, 10:34 PM
H-T White Ops

If Honda's just trying to make a quick buck, why don't they do this with other fluids too?
Old 03-22-2008, 10:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: (EKstacy)

A couple bucks saved now, replacing the rack and pump later. Hmm...

All other power steering fluids are just ATF. Honda is a different formulation and it's used differently. You can buy Honda brand at the dealership, or buy the Valvoline made just for Hondas at Autozone. If you can't scrounge together 2 bucks you can donate some blood or stand on a street corner giving hand jobs.
Old 03-23-2008, 01:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Whats the difference between Honda power steering fluid and others? (EKstacy)

power steering

its a honda not a ferrari!
Old 03-23-2008, 07:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Well, if you put NON-Honda PS fluid in, you just killed your girlfriends power steering system.
Its a totally different kind of fluid. Like DOT 5 brake fluid vs DOT 3.
If you spent more than 5 seconds looking, you may have seen that AutoZone sometimes carries fluid that reads "For Honda Vehicles" - meaning it wont destroy the system like anything else will.

The fluids will not mix, as Honda fluid is a different density and viscosity...along with being different chemically.
The pump's seals will blow.
The system will gum - the rack will suffer, the pump may seize, and the lines will clog.

You say you searched, but I dont think you did.
Here is one example:
https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1366964
Old 03-23-2008, 04:04 PM
H-T White Ops

I even just checked both bottles in Autozone that I believe the OP was referring to. The Honda power steering fluid cost $3.29 (plus tax). The Autozone stuff cost $1.29 or something similar.

The Honda stuff said it was for Hondas and Acuras. On the back of the Autozone power steering fluid it said NOT FOR USE IN HONDA/ACURA VEHICLES.
Old 05-28-2008, 03:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: (NOFX)

Use Honda power steering fluid, or prepare to buy a $200 rack the next time you visit autozone.
Old 05-28-2008, 04:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

WTF!~ you only have to change it every couple years. Autozone or any checker/walmart PS honda/acura fluid is different than OE honda fluid.

The Autozone/checker **** doesnt hold up in sub 32*f temps. 12k miles later it was very hard to turn (looped steering rack). Fluid was still in there. OE honda stuff now, and i could turn the wheel by just looking at it.
Old 05-28-2008, 04:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: (instrument)

I was told its best to use Honda automatic tranny fluid and manual tranny oil.Is it the same story as this about it just being a price difference or is it actually better to use the honda transmission fluids?
Old 05-28-2008, 04:30 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (fryman)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by fryman &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I was told its best to use Honda automatic tranny fluid and manual tranny oil.Is it the same story as this about it just being a price difference or is it actually better to use the honda transmission fluids?</TD></TR></TABLE> Doesnt a manual honda just use 10w30 oil ?
Old 05-28-2008, 04:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: (97civic94gsxr)

Yea I think thats what it uses.I believe I have 10w 40 in mines and its run fine.But I was told by a guy at the autoparts store that its best to get the Honda brand.....maybe he was just trying to make a bigger profit.
Old 05-28-2008, 04:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (fryman)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by fryman &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Yea I think thats what it uses.I believe I have 10w 40 in mines and its run fine.But I was told by a guy at the autoparts store that its best to get the Honda brand.....maybe he was just trying to make a bigger profit.</TD></TR></TABLE>

No, you need to use OE MTF-Fluids and grease, I dont think honda rebrands, except motor oil/filters.
Old 05-28-2008, 05:03 PM
HT White Ops

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default FV-QR

Honda PS Fluid is a mineral-oil type much like (but not interchangeable with) Pentosin-03, which is used on Audi/VW.

Honda MTF is 10w30 oil with friction modifiers.

Honda ATF is .... well, Honda-specific.

Honda Oil is Exxon-Mobil oil with dye and cleaning agents.
Old 05-28-2008, 05:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Whats the difference between Honda power steering fluid and others? (EKstacy)

My family has several hondas all over 200k miles and has been using generic fluids in them for every component, forever. I'll stick with my autozone fluids until someone shows me engineering proof that I'm damaging components.

Using honda ps fluid is not going to make you any more jdm...
Old 05-28-2008, 05:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Whats the difference between Honda power steering fluid and others? (ttk3)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ttk3 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">My family has several hondas all over 200k miles and has been using generic fluids in them for every component, forever. I'll stick with my autozone fluids until someone shows me engineering proof that I'm damaging components.

Using honda ps fluid is not going to make you any more jdm...</TD></TR></TABLE>

I doubt your family drives their hondas like the majority of the members on here. You need OEM honda PS fluid, its that simple. There is right, and there is wrong, and your are wrong.
Old 05-28-2008, 05:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Whats the difference between Honda power steering fluid and others? (bigsyke)

I doubt it matters is you use the stuff from the dealership, but make sure you use PS fluid that says "For Hondas".
Old 05-28-2008, 10:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Whats the difference between Honda power steering fluid and others? (rSol93)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by rSol93 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I doubt it matters is you use the stuff from the dealership, but make sure you use PS fluid that says "For Hondas".</TD></TR></TABLE>
You doubt it matters? I KNOW it matters. There are just some things you shouldnt get at autozone, over the dealership and thats;

PCV valves - OEM $10 Autozone $3 but you have to change it every 5k miles
PS fluid - OEM $4 autozone Honda/Acura fluid $3, rack gets *** raped
Fuel filters Filtech OEM $17 autzone $25
s2000 filters. Filtech $9 Autozone m1-104 $11.99
Brake pads nissin? $38

I also say Honda coolant because the blue **** tested out better vs PEAK

Modified by bigsyke at 1:23 AM 5/29/2008
Old 08-27-2011, 05:55 AM
Trial User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Whats the difference between Honda power steering fluid and others? (rSol93)

Originally Posted by bigsyke
<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by rSol93 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I doubt it matters is you use the stuff from the dealership, but make sure you use PS fluid that says "For Hondas".</TD></TR></TABLE>
You doubt it matters? I KNOW it matters. There are just some things you shouldnt get at autozone, over the dealership and thats;

PCV valves - OEM $10 Autozone $3 but you have to change it every 5k miles
PS fluid - OEM $4 autozone Honda/Acura fluid $3, rack gets *** raped
Fuel filters Filtech OEM $17 autzone $25
s2000 filters. Filtech $9 Autozone m1-104 $11.99
Brake pads nissin? $38

I also say Honda coolant because the blue **** tested out better vs PEAK

Modified by bigsyke at 1:23 AM 5/29/2008

Wow, there's a lot of misinformation on this thread. I have serviced dozens of hondas, and here is what I have learned:

Always use fluid that meets the OEM spec. That does not mean it has to come from the dealer. Use ZF spec fluid for auto transmissions, honda-compatible power steering fluid, etc. The dealer is certain to sell you the right stuff (as long as their parts guy isn't an idiot), but if you take a few minutes to read and do your homework, the aftermarket can usually provide the correct fluid and parts too, and for less $. Keep in mind, all oil comes out of the ground from the same planet, and there are only so many refineries. All OEMs farm production out to someone, and that someone can easily sell the same product to autozone with a different label.

If you have to replace the PCV every 5k, whether it's a cheap chinese part or OEM made from whalebone and platinum, you have an oil blowby problem or bad valve stem seals. The PCV valve is a very simple apparatus. Also the manufacturing of these often follows suit with the oil business as previously mentioned, even if it has an automakers brand on it.

Virtually all filters are the same, provided they are a decent brand. There are no flux capacitors involved, and the blessing of the high OEM priest will not yield more HP, MPG, or longevity.

Brake pads still follow the oldschool model: you get what you pay for (mostly). Cheap pads will wear out faster. The warranty is a clue, but not the final indicator of quality. Here again, fixing the whole problem is key. If your rotors are not replaced or turned, no pad will deliver adequate life and performance, and if a caliper is stuck, you will wear out one side very quickly. BTW, Beware Advance Auto Parts/wearever pads. They suck, and the wty is rarely honored.
If you want a car to run right and keep running, fix the cause, not the symptom. If a fluid is low, there is a leak. Find it and correct it. Pouring money into the reservoir is not a solution. Good luck.
The following users liked this post:
Old 08-29-2011, 10:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by rmxauto
Wow, there's a lot of misinformation on this thread. I have serviced dozens of hondas, and here is what I have learned:

Always use fluid that meets the OEM spec. That does not mean it has to come from the dealer. Use ZF spec fluid for auto transmissions, honda-compatible power steering fluid, etc. The dealer is certain to sell you the right stuff (as long as their parts guy isn't an idiot), but if you take a few minutes to read and do your homework, the aftermarket can usually provide the correct fluid and parts too, and for less $. Keep in mind, all oil comes out of the ground from the same planet, and there are only so many refineries. All OEMs farm production out to someone, and that someone can easily sell the same product to autozone with a different label.

If you have to replace the PCV every 5k, whether it's a cheap chinese part or OEM made from whalebone and platinum, you have an oil blowby problem or bad valve stem seals. The PCV valve is a very simple apparatus. Also the manufacturing of these often follows suit with the oil business as previously mentioned, even if it has an automakers brand on it.

Virtually all filters are the same, provided they are a decent brand. There are no flux capacitors involved, and the blessing of the high OEM priest will not yield more HP, MPG, or longevity.

Brake pads still follow the oldschool model: you get what you pay for (mostly). Cheap pads will wear out faster. The warranty is a clue, but not the final indicator of quality. Here again, fixing the whole problem is key. If your rotors are not replaced or turned, no pad will deliver adequate life and performance, and if a caliper is stuck, you will wear out one side very quickly. BTW, Beware Advance Auto Parts/wearever pads. They suck, and the wty is rarely honored.
If you want a car to run right and keep running, fix the cause, not the symptom. If a fluid is low, there is a leak. Find it and correct it. Pouring money into the reservoir is not a solution. Good luck.
I agree with everything you said EXCEPT for what you said about advance auto. That is the only place, besides the dealership, that I will buy regular maintenance parts from. For the record I used to work at advance and we were very good with our warranty's and the wearever pads are doing just fine on my car despite the fact that I need new rotors (I am too broke to replace them at the moment, its the first on the list of things to do when I stop being poor).
Old 01-18-2018, 12:33 PM
Trial User

Default Re: Whats the difference between Honda power steering fluid and others?

Use honda p/s fluid it is different my ex girl friend car had a leak and was low so I looked in the garage found some prestone fluid put it in the next day there was big problems had to replace the pump and rack wish I had asked some one so use honda p/s fluid it is the money definently

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Whats the difference between Honda power steering fluid and others?