Notices
Honda Accord & Crosstour (2003 - 2012) 2003 - 2012 Honda Accord and Inspire

2003 Accord intermittent Power Window problem

Old 02-16-2008, 06:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2003 Accord intermittent Power Window problem

The following reply was posted by el_penguino:

The passenger window on my 03 has been doing the same thing. First it started by intermittently not responding to the down switch like yours, then it got stuck down. I took the regulator/motor out and took the motor housing off and removed the armature/worm screw and took a look at the brushes. One was burned up pretty badly and caked in carbon. I cleaned everything and lubed as appropriate and put it back together and reinstalled. Everything worked fine for about a week, then the window slowed to a stop when I was putting it back up earlier this week. I removed everything again (out in a snowstorm) and manually cranked the window back up by turning the armature while the motor housing was off.

So that's where I am. I was planning on ordering a new regulator/motor assembly, then I saw this post...

So your brush replacement was successful?? Did you see similar damage/buildup on your brushes before you replaced them?? I think (at least in my case) the motor's sporadic refusal to start is because of the burned brushes. I think after at times this prevents a good enough connection between the brushes/commutators. I know it might sound silly, but I did notice back when the occasional refusal to move was the only problem (which became increasingly frequent over about 6 months) that if I hit a bump in the road or gave the door panel a whack that the window would (more often than not) work again.

Take that for what it's worth...I'm a chemical engineer, not electrical... But, if you could please tell me where you got your replacement brushes, if you saw a similar problem with the originals, and if you've had any problems with that motor since, it would be much appreciated...

Thanks...hope something in there helps you...

MBECKWIT - What I did was purchase a used regulator from the junk yard and replaced the front passenger side. When the drivers door started acting up, I removed it and used one of the brushes from the one I removed from the passengers side.( I am a pack rat and never throw anything away, just in case)
Only one brush was burned pretty bad. That was last fall.

I know I am probably on borrowed time.

But further, I do not believe that the motor or regulator or track is the issue. Dirty switch? maybe.

But it acts like a logic problem (electrical eng). Even almost like a capacitor charge or discharge time.

Like I said, I will be pulling up to a coffee shop and try to put down my window, and nothing. Wait 10-15 seconds and it works every time.

Other times it works all the time.

Modified by mbeckwit at 2:43 PM 3/4/2008
Old 03-02-2008, 12:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: 2003 Accord intermittent Power Window problem (mbeckwit)

Dirty switch?
Old 03-03-2008, 11:14 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: 2003 Accord intermittent Power Window problem (Chiovnidca)

Also try lubing the window tracks.I have had a few intermittent issues with mine and since keeping them lubed properly I have had no issues.Try to use the Honda brand silicone spray available from the dealership and not WD-40 as it will dry out the rubber.
Old 03-03-2008, 01:08 PM
Banned

Default Re: 2003 Accord intermittent Power Window problem (str8rcn)

Yup Honda silicone spray works had the same issue and it solved it just fine.
Old 05-03-2008, 07:25 AM

Default Re: 2003 Accord intermittent Power Window problem (Get-InsuranceQuotes)

New guy here. Started out as intermittent problem with the driver's side front window of my 03 Accord EX not rolling down. Then if I held the switch down 5 seconds or so it would go down. Then started an intermittent problem with passenger front window. Hold that switch down sometimes up to 10 seconds and it would go down. Then the driver's side stopped working altogether, then the passenger side. Read on web have to replace the master power window switch. Got the entire panel in the driver's side door armrest used on ebay from LKQ. Just removed the original and installed the new one and the front windows still dont go down! I hear a click when I push the pass front window switch, but can hear that with the original switch. Can't tell if I am getting a click pressing the driver's front switch.

From other posts here, sounds like it's a motor problem? I'm not an engineer. Can someone please tell me how to get to the motor(s)? It appears to me the concave area under the armrest is a seperate panel and removable? If so, what would be the best way to remove it w/out damage? If this isn't the the way, have to remove the whole door panel? If I can do that, I can get a buddy to check out the motor(s).

Thanks!

Bear

Modified by BEar1484 at 8:40 AM 5/3/2008