Notices
All Motor / Naturally Aspirated No power adders

LS vtec tap head??

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2008, 07:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS vtec tap head??

Before anyone say "search it first before putting it up for discussion"; I did do the search but came up negative. My questions is when tapping and plugging the vtec head; what EXACYLY mean by what it says. Well, I mean can anyone direct me to or show with pictures how to start drilling to end?????

and...

My GE LS/vtec kit came with two allen wrench plugs..Is both plugs going to be use in the build or is the other one was sent for an "in case I lose the original one??"

I sure am confused, and I think i'm making it a lot more harder than is originally is. Can a expert builder help me please.. It's my first build so I sure dont wanna mess up..kinda on a tight budget..THANKS!!!!
Old 02-17-2008, 09:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: LS vtec tap head?? (philliedawg)

pretty sure this will clear it up,,,,

https://honda-tech.com/zerothread/1676914

A sticky'd thread..
Old 02-18-2008, 04:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: LS vtec tap head?? (poppypizza)

I've seen this and i printed it out and it seemed to be like my "bible" by all means. But reading to that part, Bambam just said tap and plug. Nothing really detailing and a DUmmie like me could pretty much do start to finish. thanks tho, but i've read that thread almost 40-50 times on the popper. Any more help guys??!?!?!!?!!
Old 02-18-2008, 07:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

didn't the GE kit come with instructions?
If not, all you have to do is put the pipe tap into the small hole on the intake side to the far right corner. Also one plug is for the head and the other is for the sandwich plate. You can also try contacting GE and have them email or send you a instruction sheet.
Old 02-18-2008, 01:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: LS vtec tap head?? (CerealKiller)

so i don't have to pre-drill the hole first??...Just go and use the tap and start drilling??...
Old 02-18-2008, 01:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

no, don't need to drill, that's the whole point on GE's kit. NO drilling required. torque pipe tap in, then screw on flush plug.
Old 02-18-2008, 02:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

hmmm if i didnt use the full-race kit i would be able to help you...
Old 02-18-2008, 02:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by CerealKiller &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">no, don't need to drill, that's the whole point on GE's kit. NO drilling required. torque pipe tap in, then screw on flush plug.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Thanks man. I'll give a try and i'll let ya know..Thanks again!
Old 02-18-2008, 02:29 PM

the extra plug is for the sandwich plate there are 2 ports in it if you don't use them both we give you a plug to block one of them off if you get stuck fill free to pm me or give me a call 909-592-43111 ext 102 we always more then happy to help out
Old 02-22-2008, 04:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: LS vtec tap head?? (Golden Eagle)

you know....i tried just start tapping the head. and as i was doing that...wondering...how is the tap being flat going into the flat hole in the head.???...flat surface against flat surface..??..??....my tap is suppose to be flat at the tip right?? and there is a way of doing a tapping being hand????...???...i'm confused man....help dudesss..
Old 02-22-2008, 06:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by philliedawg &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">you know....i tried just start tapping the head. and as i was doing that...wondering...how is the tap being flat going into the flat hole in the head.???...flat surface against flat surface..??..??....my tap is suppose to be flat at the tip right?? and there is a way of doing a tapping being hand????...???...i'm confused man....help dudesss..</TD></TR></TABLE>

make sure you have the right hole...get a 1/8 tap at..and make sure the thread is the same as ur plug...just tap it by hand....should work..thats how i tapped my gsr head....
Old 02-22-2008, 08:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: LS vtec tap head?? (mouab18c1)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by mouab18c1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

make sure you have the right hole...get a 1/8 tap at..and make sure the thread is the same as ur plug...just tap it by hand....should work..thats how i tapped my gsr head....</TD></TR></TABLE>

Dude i checked, double checked, and tripled and quad-triple checked if its the right hole, and it IS!!!....Is the tap that GE sent you flat at the point that goes into the head flat???...
Old 02-25-2008, 08:34 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by philliedawg &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Dude i checked, double checked, and tripled and quad-triple checked if its the right hole, and it IS!!!....Is the tap that GE sent you flat at the point that goes into the head flat???...</TD></TR></TABLE> all taps are flat at the head. give me a call so we can go over this again
Old 02-25-2008, 09:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by philliedawg &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Dude i checked, double checked, and tripled and quad-triple checked if its the right hole, and it IS!!!....Is the tap that GE sent you flat at the point that goes into the head flat???...</TD></TR></TABLE>

Picture talks