Notices
Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

oil dipstick

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2008, 12:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default oil dipstick

i just did a oil change on my 97 accord,

oil dipstick is reading barely above first dot...if i can recall its suppose to be in between the two dots correct?..

i added 4 quarts of mobil 5000 oil.

should i add another half quart?
Old 02-12-2008, 01:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Re: oil dipstick (thakidd)

You don't have to, as long as you're above the lower dot, but I would add the half quart. Save the other half for next time.
Old 02-12-2008, 01:25 PM

Default Re: oil dipstick (BLKFLSH)

thx...i have a leak and believe it or not i drained it myself and the oil in there almost filled a 12 quart bucket.
Old 02-12-2008, 01:47 PM
H-T Order of Merit

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

what? So you are saying you had how much oil in the engine?
Old 02-12-2008, 01:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by thakidd &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">thx...i have a leak and believe it or not i drained it myself and the oil in there almost filled a 12 quart bucket. </TD></TR></TABLE>

No wonder you had a leak.

Whenever you change the oil, start with the 4 quarts like you did. Run the engine briefly, shut it down and check for leaks. Then top off the oil until it registers at the top dot on the stick. Sure, in between the dots is OK, but that doesn't give enough of a safety margin if the level should drop lower due to a leak or consumption before you check the level again, if ever.
Old 02-12-2008, 01:57 PM

Default Re: oil dipstick (TouringAccord)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by TouringAccord &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">what? So you are saying you had how much oil in the engine?</TD></TR></TABLE>I guess close to 12 quarts...it filled the bucket to the rim.
Old 02-12-2008, 01:58 PM

Default Re: oil dipstick (Perfectionist)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Perfectionist &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Whenever you change the oil, start with the 4 quarts like you did. Run the engine briefly, shut it down and check for leaks. Then top off the oil until it registers at the top dot on the stick. Sure, in between the dots is OK, but that doesn't give enough of a safety margin if the level should drop lower due to a leak or consumption before you check the level again, if ever.</TD></TR></TABLE>thanx a lot that info really helped.
Old 02-12-2008, 02:06 PM
H-T Order of Merit

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

why would you ever put that much oil into the engine?
Old 02-12-2008, 02:07 PM

Default Re: oil dipstick (TouringAccord)

car was bought at a auction and thats how i received it.<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by TouringAccord &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">why would you ever put that much oil into the engine?</TD></TR></TABLE>
Old 02-12-2008, 03:22 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Perfectionist &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Whenever you change the oil, start with the 4 quarts like you did. Run the engine briefly, shut it down and check for leaks. Then top off the oil until it registers at the top dot on the stick. Sure, in between the dots is OK, but that doesn't give enough of a safety margin if the level should drop lower due to a leak or consumption before you check the level again, if ever.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Umm why would you tell him to keep adding oil knowing he has a leak, instead of telling him to get the leak checked out, figure out what really IS leaking and get itfixed. No more worrying about checking the level.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by thakidd &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i just did a oil change on my 97 accord,

oil dipstick is reading barely above first dot...if i can recall its suppose to be in between the two dots correct?..

i added 4 quarts of mobil 5000 oil.

should i add another half quart?</TD></TR></TABLE>

as a general rule of thumb i add an extra quart to what is needed. Haven't had any issues so far doing it this way on any of the cars in the household.
Old 02-12-2008, 04:51 PM

Default Re: oil dipstick (sobeman81)

I plan on getting it fixed as soon as i get some extra cash...hope its nothing major...i jacked it up and its not leaking from the oil pan but the engine rather, so im guessing its some kinda seal.
Old 02-12-2008, 05:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

If the engine had that much oil in it (12 quarts), it was bound to leak somewhere. With only the required 4.5 quarts it may not leak at all. Keep an eye on the level for now though, just in case.
Old 02-13-2008, 01:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: oil dipstick (sobeman81)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by sobeman81 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Umm why would you tell him to keep adding oil knowing he has a leak, instead of telling him to get the leak checked out, figure out what really IS leaking and get itfixed. No more worrying about checking the level.

as a general rule of thumb i add an extra quart to what is needed. Haven't had any issues so far doing it this way on any of the cars in the household. </TD></TR></TABLE>

The OP made no mention of a leak in his original post. In a following thread he mentions a leak but doesn't give any indication of how bad, and also states he drained 12 quarts out. Some leaks are minor annoyances and not everyone can afford the cash to fix them. My advice to check for leaks after changing the oil is a common practice to ensure the oil filter seated properly and the drain plug is secure. It's basic common sense.

IMO, adding an extra quart is neither recommended nor wise. It does nothing but waste oil at the least. Sometimes, more is not better.
Old 02-13-2008, 01:47 PM

i agree with perfect, the xtra qt just wastes oil. its alot simplier to just simply check ur oil 1x weekly
Old 02-13-2008, 09:17 PM

The OP made no mention of a leak in his original post. In a following thread he mentions a leak but doesn't give any indication of how bad, and also states he drained 12 quarts out. Some leaks are minor annoyances and not everyone can afford the cash to fix them. My advice to check for leaks after changing the oil is a common practice to ensure the oil filter seated properly and the drain plug is secure. It's basic common sense.

IMO, adding an extra quart is neither recommended nor wise. It does nothing but waste oil at the least. Sometimes, more is not better.</TD></TR></TABLE>ya i really can't afford to fix as of now so i just keep a eye on it...seems to b holdin oil so far...but thanx 4 all the help, i just don't see how the previous owner pumped damn near 12 quarts into the car.