Notices
Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

1996 honda accord speedometer issue

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2008, 04:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1996 honda accord speedometer issue

the speedometer on my 1996 Honda accord is intermittently working and not working and is mostly random...this problem started about a week ago and when the speedometer doesn't work neither does the odometer, this happened once before and it was the VSS but then there was a CEL, this time there is not and i have replaced the VSS as i thought it may have went bad again. if i hit the front of the cluster/top of the dash sometimes it will come back on. also sometimes once the car warms up it will work normally, i was thinking it may be the cluster itself but a buddy of mine told me if it was it would most likely not be and on and off thing and would just go bad all at once, so i am at a standstill.... i have taken the whole dash apart and tightened the screws on the back of the cluster and made sure all the wires were tight.....anyone else have this problem?
Old 01-23-2008, 08:11 PM
0x5359-0055

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: 1996 honda accord speedometer issue (bseriescrxsi)

Mine did it for a while and then completely quit working. Have yet to solve the issue (as my car has been down since Aug ) but I'm pretty sure its the connection between the harness and the VSS.
Old 01-23-2008, 08:16 PM
He knows where you live!

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Both of you refer to my thread about the Cluster Removal in the Accord FAQ.

I had the same problems.

You'll want to get a hold of a working speedometer and replace just the green circuitry on the back.

Like I said, refer to the Accord FAQ Cluster thread (I wrote it in text, another added pics)
Old 01-24-2008, 03:29 PM
0x5359-0055

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: (TheMuffinMan)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by TheMuffinMan &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Both of you refer to my thread about the Cluster Removal in the Accord FAQ.

I had the same problems.

You'll want to get a hold of a working speedometer and replace just the green circuitry on the back.

Like I said, refer to the Accord FAQ Cluster thread (I wrote it in text, another added pics)</TD></TR></TABLE>

Will do, once I get my swap in. Probably be swapping the cluster anyway
Old 01-24-2008, 07:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (TheMuffinMan)

yea thats what i was thinking the problem was the green circuit board...thanks
Old 01-25-2008, 06:36 AM

Default Re: (bseriescrxsi)

I have a 95 accord and the odometer was working intermittently. I gave it a sharp tap and it works now. Sometimes you gotta smack things around a bit. :D
Old 01-25-2008, 10:40 AM
ate my pixel

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (Westboarder)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Westboarder &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I have a 95 accord and the odometer was working intermittently. I gave it a sharp tap and it works now. Sometimes you gotta smack things around a bit. :D</TD></TR></TABLE>

It will die after a few months. Easiest fix is a new set of gauges.
Old 01-25-2008, 12:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Westboarder &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I have a 95 accord and the odometer was working intermittently. I gave it a sharp tap and it works now. Sometimes you gotta smack things around a bit. :D</TD></TR></TABLE>

when you have to smack the thing around so much your brake all 4 screw screw in points...i think its time to say smacking it around has run its course
Old 04-07-2014, 06:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 1996 honda accord speedometer issue

My 96 Accord has developed the speedometer problem of working only at times. I've read through several postings and believe mine stems from the printed circuit. My cruise control works even when the speedometer doesn't. That makes me believe that the signal is coming out of the sensor at the transaxle. Now my question: Might anyone know of a source of the printed circuits or do I throw the dice and buy a used one. I've read about trying the resoldering and am not above trying that as well if no easily obtainable printed circuits are available.
Thanks
Marvin
Old 04-10-2014, 09:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I had the same problem. It was the Circuit board that connects to the odometer and speedo. I tried to re-solder...didn't work. I went to a pull and pay and swapped the whole instrument cluster, that didn't work. Went back to the salvage yard and pulled just the circuit board and popped it in...bingo. Turns out the original board was bad and the second cluster I purchased also had a bad board. It's a common problem. Good luck.

The board cost me five dollars and the cluster something like 25. Here in Denver they are easily located in most salvage yards.

Last edited by Known_Offender; 04-10-2014 at 09:25 AM. Reason: Ad Cost info.
Old 05-21-2014, 08:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Hi, I have the same issue with my 1996 Honda accord speedometer VSS and even bought a new one. That didn't work. I pulled the speedometer cluster and checked the connections and the wiring but everything was fine. I pulled the circuit board off the back of the speedo and resoldered all the joints and also followed toolmans advice and resoldered IC1 terminal 10. Terminal 10 connection was cracked and after I soldered it I checked the voltage and it was exactly as he said it should be. The problem now is that it doesn't work at all. It is completely dead, no movement at all and everything should be working. It looks like it may be time to buy another speedometer head unless someone can give me an idea to try something else.
Old 05-22-2014, 02:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Soldering caused mine to completely stop working also. Get another speedo circuit board at a salvage yard if you can. Another thing, if the VSS is horked the cruise control will not work correctly.
Old 05-27-2014, 10:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks for the post's. I did buy another speedometer head and it works fine now. It still bugs me that I couldn't find the problem and had to spend $85 for a used one. Hopefully this one will keep working.
Old 09-27-2016, 05:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Same issue, looks ill have to be searching for a new cluster :\
Old 03-06-2017, 03:17 PM
Trial User

Default Re: (bseriescrxsi)

😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

Originally Posted by Westboarder
I have a 95 accord and the odometer was working intermittently. I gave it a sharp tap and it works now. Sometimes you gotta smack things around a bit. :D
Old 03-06-2017, 03:18 PM
Trial User

Originally Posted by bseriescrxsi

when you have to smack the thing around so much your brake all 4 screw screw in points...i think its time to say smacking it around has run its course

indeed it has