Notices
Honda Prelude All Model Preludes

Huge oil leak??????Please help!!!!!!

Old 01-21-2008, 11:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Huge oil leak??????Please help!!!!!!

OK, I have a 94 vtec stock H22 about 140k miles. I warm up my car this morning for like 8-10 minutes and when I come out of the house I see a HUGE puddle of oil under my car. I shut her down and push it backwards to see how big it was.....about a 5ft circle puddle of oil...WTF.

So I jack it up, its like 4 degrees by the way, and see it looks like a oil bomb blew up all around the oil filter. So I change the oil filter thinking maybe the filter failed or the gasket and fill her back up with some fresh oil and start her up and again a steady stream of oil that looks like its comming from the filter or maybe above the filter

Before I go out into the blizzard we are now getting, I have no garage to work in or anything and we are looking at 6-8 fresh inches of snow my morning.lol!!!!

I have no clue what it could be has anyone else expienced anything like this? From what I can see, its definately coming from the back of the block, near the oil filter. Is there a oil cooler line that could have broke. It only leaks when the car is running. Any help will be super duper

PS. Dont ask if I have the oil filter on all the way and the old filter gasket is not is not doubled up
Old 01-21-2008, 11:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Huge oil leak??????Please help!!!!!! (EFz6er)

your oil filter screws into the oil cooler and it hooks to the block, i had the o-ring on the block side of the oil cooler go bad one time and i lost a lot of oil, but if you take your oil filter and oil cooler off you should be able to tell whats up.....the o-ring i needed was like $4
Old 01-21-2008, 12:00 PM

Default Re: Huge oil leak??????Please help!!!!!! (94SuperLudeSI)

And that would leak only while the car is running? I just want to be sure B4 becuase its sooooo cold and its really snowing good now....dont want to open a can of worms in a blizzard. Thanks again
Old 01-21-2008, 01:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

The oil cooler o-ring is a very very common leak spot in the H22. Yes, it would only leak while the engine is running. It's a pretty easy fix, and the part is cheap too.
Old 01-21-2008, 02:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Almost 100% sure...just like they said. "Oil cooler seal".
I just replaced mine.

It's scary but it's an easy/cheap fix.

Pull the car on ramps, drain the oil (if any left), and unscrew the oil filter.

You will need a 1/2" drive ratchet, and a deep impact socket if you don't already have one, it's a 30mm if I'm correct. I rented mine from auto zone for around 15$, which I got back after I returned the tool.

Using the ratchet and 30mm socket, break the oil shaft that holds the oil filter, it's one full piece, once you have it unscrewed, you'll see an O ring most probably a split 2 1/5" O ring (approx.).

You can go to the honda dealer and purchase one for around $4.00, or you can

Go to a hardware store and match one up, for around $2.00.

Grease the ring before install/replaced, and your good to go.

By the way, there are two coolant lines leading into the housing. I did NOT have to remove them for my H23....Just use your best judgment.

Return the socket for a full refund, and you've only lost the oil, a little time, and 3 or 4 dollars for the fix.

Oh yeah.......Don't forget to fill the oil back up, before backing it off the ramps.

Hth,

-Shadow-
Old 01-21-2008, 02:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Huge oil leak??????Please help!!!!!! (shadow29485)

Just a note, use someone elses vehicle for the run around town to get the parts. Do NOT drive your vehicle (even if you keep adding oil). Mine lost 4 1/2 quarts just driving 2 blocks, babying the engine.

I had a fellow luder, snap one of his crank pulley's, because he ran the car a little to late after the oil pressure light came on.

Speaking of the oil pressure, your going to need to remove the wire's attached to the oil pressure sensor.

Don't for get to hook them back up either .
Old 01-21-2008, 02:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes, it's the oil cooler o-ring.
Old 01-21-2008, 04:40 PM

Default Re: Huge oil leak??????Please help!!!!!! (Hawkze_2.3)

yup the oil cooler o-ring...it broke in 2 places. Its kinda a PITA everytime I put the gasket into the valley it popped out like it was a few mm to big but a few cusses and a little gasket maker to help it stick in there and shes all put back together and no more oil leak. Thanks for all the help everyone

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by shadow29485 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> Just a note, use someone elses vehicle for the run around town to get the parts. Do NOT drive your vehicle (even if you keep adding oil). Mine lost 4 1/2 quarts just driving 2 blocks, babying the engine.</TD></TR></TABLE>

No joke, I drove the car to my neighbors garage and had a real nice oil trail on the freshly fallen snow
Old 01-21-2008, 05:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Now that's team work.

Hell yeah, glad to here you got her fixed.
Old 01-22-2008, 07:25 AM

I am having the same prob but i have a 98 prelude auto. Do you think it could be the same prob with the oil cooler? I hope so.
Old 02-22-2008, 10:48 AM

Anyone have a torque spec for the 30mm bolt that holds the cooler onto the block?
Old 02-22-2008, 01:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (MikeKi)

Just snug it down pretty tight.
Old 02-22-2008, 02:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

this just happened to me last week. $4 oil cooler seal. easy fix
Old 02-22-2008, 04:35 PM

Default Re: (shadow29485)

Found it in the service manual. 54 ft-lbs.
Old 02-23-2008, 05:27 PM

Default Re: (MikeKi)

^^^good info Had this same problem not too long ago. Fixed the seal and BAM no more oil.
Old 02-24-2008, 06:13 PM

Default Re: (johcamp)

i had the same problem with my prelude.
Old 03-12-2008, 01:00 PM

Thanks for the information very helpful had same problem on 92 Prelude. I put the o-ring on the block with some grease is this OK. I could not figure out how it would fit on the oil cooler.
Old 11-26-2008, 12:40 PM

Location: guelph, elora, fergus, peterborough, misissauga... i move around a lot
Default cheers, this was really hlepfull

hey. im thor, and im new. just wanted to say that this info was a huge help. i have been experiencing the EXACT same problems with my 92 lude si and have found very little info on the subject. I'm now up and running again, thank you all.
Old 11-26-2008, 06:56 PM

Originally Posted by john1
Thanks for the information very helpful had same problem on 92 Prelude. I put the o-ring on the block with some grease is this OK. I could not figure out how it would fit on the oil cooler.
This is ok to do the grease will be washed away with the oil. We do it all the time at work.
Old 12-17-2008, 07:18 AM

i have a 98 honda civic know nothing about cars but i'm pretty sure i'm having the same problem. took a friend home and my oil light came on so before i dropped them off i ran to the store and grabbed 2 guarts of oil. put it in the car and looked underneath to see if it was leaking. didn't look to see if there was a pool on the ground though and saw a minimal leak. backed out of the spot and the light was still on and there was a huge pool where i was parked. i'm having a mechanic come and look at it later today but i was hoping to get some info before i let someone else under my car. so does this problem happen with civics also?
Old 12-18-2010, 08:35 AM
Trial User

Default Re: Huge oil leak??????Please help!!!!!!

I had the exact same problem with my 93 Honda Prelude si v-tech and suffered same situations/conditions (like having to fix this in 4 inches of snow) as those of you who had to replace the oil cooler O ring (seal). Thank you for such accurate advice and suggestions
Old 12-19-2010, 06:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

With as common as this is with the H22, you would think there would be a sticky by now.

"If your Lude ***** out every drop of oil it has, replace the Oil Cooler Gasket."

I would be surprised if there is an H22 out there that hasn't done this at some point in it's life.
Old 12-19-2010, 08:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I don't see how anyone lets it get this bad, for that seal to completely blow out from deterioration/pressure it would have to be leaking for a LONG time. You'd also notice it leaking every time you changed the oil, seems like neglect is the main problem.
Old 01-23-2013, 06:19 AM
Trial User

HUGE HELP! Thank you so much! you were dead on with everything. Id be so lost without this forum its not even funny.

Originally Posted by shadow29485
Almost 100% sure...just like they said. "Oil cooler seal".
I just replaced mine.

It's scary but it's an easy/cheap fix.

Pull the car on ramps, drain the oil (if any left), and unscrew the oil filter.

You will need a 1/2" drive ratchet, and a deep impact socket if you don't already have one, it's a 30mm if I'm correct. I rented mine from auto zone for around 15$, which I got back after I returned the tool.

Using the ratchet and 30mm socket, break the oil shaft that holds the oil filter, it's one full piece, once you have it unscrewed, you'll see an O ring most probably a split 2 1/5" O ring (approx.).

You can go to the honda dealer and purchase one for around $4.00, or you can

Go to a hardware store and match one up, for around $2.00.

Grease the ring before install/replaced, and your good to go.

By the way, there are two coolant lines leading into the housing. I did NOT have to remove them for my H23....Just use your best judgment.

Return the socket for a full refund, and you've only lost the oil, a little time, and 3 or 4 dollars for the fix.

Oh yeah.......Don't forget to fill the oil back up, before backing it off the ramps.

Hth,

-Shadow-
Old 12-08-2013, 07:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Hey there! So I think I have had this happen to me as well, I had winterized my H22a1 but needed to get it out (long story). It started right up, but within ten minutes I had no oil left. It only leaks when it's running. It's about 2 degree and snowing where I'm at. I haven't a garage. Before I get into it I was wondering if anyone had more detailed information.
Pictures of what I need, and what to do. I'm fairly good with cars but my prelude is my baby and I want to do it right. Please let me know if you can walk me through this.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Huge oil leak??????Please help!!!!!!