Notices
Paint and Body Auto Body Repair, Painting and Prep

thining Rustoleum

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2007, 03:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default thining Rustoleum

i heard of a few people spray the paint threw a hvlp fun. what do u guys thin it to? i heard 10% and 50% that a huge gap..can some1 clear this up for me
Old 07-08-2007, 04:53 PM

Default Re: thining Rustoleum (slowassciv33)

anyone have any idea?
Old 07-08-2007, 06:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I didnt spray it, i rolled it. But i went to 50 if not more.
My guess would be its the same since i hear it clogs the gun quite easy.
Old 12-28-2007, 10:25 PM

Well if this helps I recent started painting. My car using spray gun that i bought at harbor for $18.99 and using a4 gallons compressor so far I havent run in to trouble is alot aesier
Old 12-28-2007, 11:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: thining Rustoleum (R,coustoms)

I have nothing against Rustoleum, heck I just spray bombed one of my cheap car projects with it, but if your going to spray your car using HVLP equipment, you might as well go with a good one stage car paint. I know most people use Rustoleum because of the price, and it's not a whole lot to invest if something goes wrong.

1 Gal Rustoleum = $25-$40?
1 Gal 100% Mineral Spirits = $8-$15?

And if you were to use an enamel hardener with rustoleum it would be another $20-$25. Either way it gets from around $50-80 bucks.

But for about 100 you could get a real good quality Urethane 1 stage paint instead of using a fish oil based enamel that *may* never completely cure. Kustom Shop has 1 Gal paint kits that come with hardener and any choice of thinner either slow, med or fast. (Mineral spirits is considered slow or really slow, but good for brush technique).

I'm just opening some options. If your going the cheap route, Rustoleum isn't the only way. Although I love the results I've gotten with it, but if I had the space and time, and equipment, I'd probably choose the Urethane base for durability for about the same price as using Rustoleum. Rustoleum was good for my last project since I had no booth, only my driveway and a very limited time to use it. (less than a week).

As for thinning Rustoleum. A lot of it depends on the environment temperature you are spraying in, and the temperature of the materials. If you were spraying in the morning where the materials were cold from being left in the garage overnight, then the material will be cold and thick. It will require more mineral spirits to *thin* the material for it to spray properly through an hvlp gun. Now say you left the material in the sun or shade but outside during a hot day, you'll find the material may be warm enough that it will require a very little amount of mineral spirits to flow through the gun properly. That is where you get the 10%-50% range for mixing mineral spirits.

People painting their car in the garage in a snowy Chicago are going to mix more thinner than someone who is painting in the garage in middle of the Arizona desert.

Hope this helps.
Old 12-29-2007, 01:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: thining Rustoleum (shearinfinity)

well if you're going for a home paintjob and you live in cali then you really shouldnt be using auto paitn because its illegal to spray it outside of a registered boothe or whatever...thats the reason i used the rustoleum...
Old 12-31-2007, 03:10 PM

do what the can says,like 15% or some thing
Old 12-31-2007, 06:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: thining Rustoleum (bleakdragonmage)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by bleakdragonmage &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">well if you're going for a home paintjob and you live in cali then you really shouldnt be using auto paitn because its illegal to spray it outside of a registered boothe or whatever...thats the reason i used the rustoleum...</TD></TR></TABLE>

are the cops going to drive by while you are spraying and arrest you? lol

shearinfinity is absolutly correct. i was going to spray the Interlux Brightside paint (even bought everything, practiced on a few computer cases and painted a bumper with it). **** i even painted my engine bay. it worked really well.

then i went to the paint store and for ***** and giggles asked how much an economy single stage would run me.

i ended up walking out with a gallon of Omni MAE black single stage, and fast reducer (painting outside in garage). cost about $90.

the interlux was costing me $40 a quart. do the math. $160 a gallon.

Old 12-31-2007, 11:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: thining Rustoleum (welfarepc)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by welfarepc &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

are the cops going to drive by while you are spraying and arrest you? lol
</TD></TR></TABLE>

dont know about you...but i have some douche neighbors and i also have about 6 cops that live within 2 streets of me...hell..even while i was painting i did have an officer come by to see what i was doing...so..yea...it depends...if you think you can get away with it go ahead..i knew i wouldnt be able too so i didnt even try...now if i was able to use my garage that wouldve been different...
Old 01-01-2008, 01:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: thining Rustoleum (bleakdragonmage)

if you have a small **** compressor, why not get a LVLP gun?

at 40psi a 4 gallon 120v(my guess) is about 8 cfm? maybe 10?

most hvlp guns are rated around 12-14cfm at 40ish psi

anyways, don't go by what we said, call the number on the back of the can.

Ask the reps how much to thin out with a gun(and size of tip), mix a little cup and see if it passes the wood stick grain test.