Notices
Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

Check Engine Light On/Code P1486, P1738

Old 12-18-2007, 03:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Check Engine Light On/Code P1486, P1738

I took my '00 Accord to the local Honda dealership for a diagnostic test because my engine check light is on. I was told that I have a malfunction in the PCM and that I'll need a new one as well as a second gear pressure switch. The cost to fix both will be $1235.

I was told that they tried to reset the engine check light but it came back on and I think this is why they're telling me that I need a new PCM. I was also told that if I don't get a new PCM, that the engine check light won't go off nor will I be able to pass emissions.

The bulk of that price is replacing the PCM but I don't think that I need to replace it because my car is running fine (i know it doesn't necessarily mean there isn't a problem). I would also like to mention that earlier this year, the same dealership told me that I needed to replace my PCM when I had to get another diagnostic test for my Accord. Since that time, my car has been running fine.

The code that the dealership gave me for the faulty PCM is P1486 - Cooling System Malfunction

I went to Autozone and they gave me the following codes: P1486 (same) - Auxiliary Emission Controls and P1738 - Manufacturer Control Transmission.

Here's a few other things the dealership found that they say isn't directly related to the engine check light being on:
- Vtec Sol. Assy. is leaking oil
- Dist. O-ring and water inlet hose
- Battery acid leak

I wanted to get a another opinion but I don't want to pay another $100 for another test and I need to pass emissions.

Old 12-19-2007, 08:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Look into getting a PCM off of a forum 6thgenaccord.com might be able to help you, dist o-ring comes with a new dist, should be changed at 90k and battery just ride out until it dosen't work and replace it. keep using cleaning methods found on google. You might have to pay something around 100 dollars to get the dealership to reprogram your PCM but thats the least of your worries.
Old 12-19-2007, 06:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Patman)

P1486 is an Evap system related code relating to the fuel tank side. Quite possibly you left the gas cap loose after a fill up. If your cap was tight,then you could have an intermittent failure of a two way valve or bypass solenoid. They should have run a function test to check the system. Even with an intermittent bad part the test could still pass. Evap codes are a little difficult to diagnose. If the light returns with the same DTC,id look into further diagnosis and part replacement. Great techs will catch the failure the first time,good techs will fix it on the second attempt. You shouldnt have to return a third time for an evap DTC.
P1738 Problem is 2nd gear pressure switch. A PCM is part of the diagnostic repair but rarely have I seen it needed. I would assume they have properly tested the circuit. Most of the time the 2nd gear pressure switch replacement is the repair to this DTC. If your a DIYer,test and replacement of the switch is farely easy. Reset the PCM and see if the DTC returns. Autozone reset the DTC?
Old 12-22-2007, 06:23 AM

Default Re: (IMALLSLO)

Thanks for the info. Again, I don't think my PCM is faulty. I talked to a few techs at different shops and they said that they've never had to replace a PCM in their entire careers (20+ years). I think the tech just told me that because he didn't know what the problem may be because they didn't give me good enough explanation as to why I need a new PCM. I don't know if the tech at Honda ran a function test to check the system.

Do you think I should take it somewhere else and get another DT? If it is an evap problem how much do you think it'll cost? No I didn't get Autozone to reset the DTC.