Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Car wont start: relay clicking, headlights turn off electronics help! HELP!

Old 08-28-2007, 09:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car wont start: relay clicking, headlights turn off electronics help! HELP!

Ok out of nowhere my car wont start anymore. I open the door, interior light comes on, put key in ignition, courtesy chime sounds. Turn key, computer makes a clicking noise and there is a tappin/scratching coming from the front right river footwell area which i am assuming is some sort of relay....all the instrument lights dim and flicker.

Turn on the headlights, all the lights and instrument cluster go out completely car doesnt even click or anything when i try to turn it on. Press brake pedal, similar situation, instrument lights go off completely, car wont even make a noise when i try to start it. Remove foot from brake, interior lights and instrument lights come back on, car still wont start but at least teh relay makes noise when i try and turn it over....

What the hell is going on here? Car was fine 5minutes ago! is the main relay dead? Is the battery dead? WTFFfff PLEASE HELP!!!!
Old 08-28-2007, 09:34 PM
HT White Ops

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sounds like your battery is dead.

You could also have an alternator problem, but get a jump start first.
Old 10-29-2007, 02:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Eran)

Im also having this problem in my 93 hatch. I left the lights on overnight and when I tried to jump start the car, it wouldn't turn over. I get the chime, and the lights on the cluster come on and when but when I push in the clutch and turn the key, there is a clicking/humming noise from the left lower dash, that's it. I got the car to turn over for about one second one time then it seems like it had no more juice, but it was hooked up to another car.

The battery is about 6 months old and the alternator is about a year old. I checked the grounds and the connection to the starter and everything seemed ok. Im thinking is the starter but does anybody else have and idea of what it could be?
Old 11-29-2007, 03:46 PM

Check the actual cables, i just had this problem on my nissan and needed to replace cables, no probs since
Old 11-29-2007, 05:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I agree with both. I have personally had my alternator take a crap on me and that had exactly the same symptoms you are describing. Also I worked on a neon that had similar symptoms and it turned out to be the battery wire to the starter that was frayed and melted. I would start with both of those. Check your wires first if they're fine, try and get a jump start, if you start it up then you could have an alternator problem like the voltage regulator taking a crap on you or something. Hope this helps!
Old 11-29-2007, 07:34 PM

try cleaning your terminal wires with some sand paper until you can see copper, then clean off the terminals, then use battery terminal protectant to see if its just corrosion. it could be your ignition [the electronic part] mine **** the bed too. there was a recall for the prelude and accord but not for the civic. junkyard the part too it'll deff. be alot cheaper then the stealership they were asking $520 for just the part. do it yourself too its pretty easy. take apart the column and then disconnect the harnesses there should be like 3 of them.
Old 11-30-2007, 12:09 PM

Default Re: Car wont start: relay clicking, headlights turn off electronics help! HELP! (turbotime)

check all of your grounds to make shure that they are all snug and secure