Notices
Lighting HID/Xenon kits, Retrofits and Associated Topics

1157/1156 LED lights bulbs

Old 11-21-2007, 08:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 1157/1156 LED lights bulbs

Anyone here used 'em or had a pair in the past. Few weeks ago, walking around SEMA, noticed a a bunch of Tawi Co. carrying these on their booths. Curious if anyone here has purchase any? If so, did the harness & plug burnout on you?

Here's a sample pic of what I'm talking about!

Old 11-21-2007, 11:36 AM
Darth ModerVader

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: 1157/1156 LED lights bulbs (BERT-O)

The wiring and harness should not be an issue, since LED's normally draw quite a bit less current than standard incandescents. The main problem with LED drop-in bulbs is that they do not disperse light in the same manner as the incandescent that they're replacing, so the normally do not properly illuminate the reflector. These appear to address that issue to a certain degree by placing the LED's in a cylindrical pattern as well as at the top of the bulb, but I'm still not certain they'll perform as well as a regular 1157 or 1156.
Old 11-21-2007, 12:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i have all LED bulbs in my EG.i had to go through quite a few sets to find ones that were brighter than stock,but i finally did.later i'll post info on the companies i found to have the brightest bulbs.
chris
Old 11-23-2007, 10:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 1157/1156 LED lights bulbs (TeamNextGenChris)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by TeamNextGenChris &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i have all LED bulbs in my EG.i had to go through quite a few sets to find ones that were brighter than stock,but i finally did.later i'll post info on the companies i found to have the brightest bulbs.
chris</TD></TR></TABLE>

Awesome!

Thats what I wanted to do! More on my bike but we do it on my EG as well. More for safety issue on my end since it rains here bad during the summer!

Thanks again,
Bert
Old 11-23-2007, 10:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 1157/1156 LED lights bulbs (Padawan)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Padawan &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">The wiring and harness should not be an issue, since LED's normally draw quite a bit less current than standard incandescents. The main problem with LED drop-in bulbs is that they do not disperse light in the same manner as the incandescent that they're replacing, so the normally do not properly illuminate the reflector. These appear to address that issue to a certain degree by placing the LED's in a cylindrical pattern as well as at the top of the bulb, but I'm still not certain they'll perform as well as a regular 1157 or 1156. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Yeah, I thought about that as well! I figure I would tried it and see! Wanna some insight from individuals on here if they have done so.

Forgot that LED's don't draw much energy than your standard ones...
Old 11-23-2007, 12:22 PM
Me Gusta History

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had LEDs in my brake lights and signals, even bulbs with LEDs on the side hoping htey'd spread in the reflector well...they didn't. I swapped my halogens back in and it was much better-and safer.

When they draw so little power, your turn signals and sometimes your brake lights read as nonfunctional, that's when you get warning lights or hyper blinkers.
Old 11-23-2007, 04:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by BERT-O &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Awesome!

Thats what I wanted to do! More on my bike but we do it on my EG as well. More for safety issue on my end since it rains here bad during the summer!

Thanks again,
Bert</TD></TR></TABLE>
these are the 1156 bulbs i used for my rear turn signals:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors...71840
i used identical style bulbs in 1157 size from the same seller for my parking/brake lights and front corner lamps.

BUT,i went through three sets of bulbs from other sources that were very dim before i got these.one set had full size LEDs mounted on top and the sides,two other sets had surface mount LEDs on the sides like the above bulbs,but were very dim.
being that the bulbs that i'm now using were very similar in appearance to the crappy bulbs i got,i can only guess that they had lower output LEDs?

in my bike's eyebrow lights and front turn signals,as well as the sidemarkers on my cars,i used 194 sized bulbs with 4 standard LEDs per bulb that i got from Auto Zone.they're very bright and work well in all three applications.

so,i guess that i really can't recommend a specific bulb.i'd suggest trying to find out the intensity of the LEDs used in whatever bulb you're trying to use,and go with the brightest output you can find.of course,if the bulb will be used in a reflector style housing,you'll need one that puts out light to the sides and rearward.

Chris
Old 11-28-2007, 08:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 1157/1156 LED lights bulbs (TeamNextGenChris)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by TeamNextGenChris &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
these are the 1156 bulbs i used for my rear turn signals:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors...71840
i used identical style bulbs in 1157 size from the same seller for my parking/brake lights and front corner lamps.

BUT,i went through three sets of bulbs from other sources that were very dim before i got these.one set had full size LEDs mounted on top and the sides,two other sets had surface mount LEDs on the sides like the above bulbs,but were very dim.
being that the bulbs that i'm now using were very similar in appearance to the crappy bulbs i got,i can only guess that they had lower output LEDs?

in my bike's eyebrow lights and front turn signals,as well as the sidemarkers on my cars,i used 194 sized bulbs with 4 standard LEDs per bulb that i got from Auto Zone.they're very bright and work well in all three applications.

so,i guess that i really can't recommend a specific bulb.i'd suggest trying to find out the intensity of the LEDs used in whatever bulb you're trying to use,and go with the brightest output you can find.of course,if the bulb will be used in a reflector style housing,you'll need one that puts out light to the sides and rearward.

Chris</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yes, thats what I look into as far the way the reflectors sits at. Once thanks for the input. I will work on what I have and go from there

Old 11-28-2007, 10:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 52 Likes on 46 Posts

wow Chris, those bulbs on the eBay ad look like they'd be WAYYYY brighter than the ones I tried from superbrightleds.com

I tried 1157's that had normal-size LED's facing backwards, and then mini-size LED's (one ring of them) around the base. They were total junk compared to the stock incandescent 1157's.

Have you had any success with 1157 LED's? I'm concerned about the difference in brightness between the parking/tail function vs. the brake/turn signal function on 1157 LED bulbs.

This is what I tried and it was junk. Although, it could have been because I used white LED's instead of red LED's for my taillights.

Old 11-28-2007, 11:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (PatrickGSR94)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by PatrickGSR94 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">wow Chris, those bulbs on the eBay ad look like they'd be WAYYYY brighter than the ones I tried from superbrightleds.com

I tried 1157's that had normal-size LED's facing backwards, and then mini-size LED's (one ring of them) around the base. They were total junk compared to the stock incandescent 1157's.

Have you had any success with 1157 LED's? I'm concerned about the difference in brightness between the parking/tail function vs. the brake/turn signal function on 1157 LED bulbs.

This is what I tried and it was junk. Although, it could have been because I used white LED's instead of red LED's for my taillights.

</TD></TR></TABLE>
yes,my 1157 tail/stop light bulbs are from the same seller.they're noticeably brighter than the stock bulbs with the brakes on,and about the same as stock with the parking lights on.
Chris
Old 11-28-2007, 01:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I noticed that my poor results with the LED bulb I pictured above may have been due to the fact that I was using white LED's, when I should have been using red LED's. According to the SuperBright website, white LED's don't have much red light in them, and so you don't get much light left after the other wave lengths are filtered out by the red lens. If I would have used red LED's, apparently almost all light would have made it through the lens and it would have been brighter.

Who knows how much brighter, though.
Old 11-28-2007, 01:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by PatrickGSR94 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I noticed that my poor results with the LED bulb I pictured above may have been due to the fact that I was using white LED's, when I should have been using red LED's. According to the SuperBright website, white LED's don't have much red light in them, and so you don't get much light left after the other wave lengths are filtered out by the red lens. If I would have used red LED's, apparently almost all light would have made it through the lens and it would have been brighter.

Who knows how much brighter, though.</TD></TR></TABLE>
i've noticed that if you use the same color LEDs as the light's lens(red for tail lights,amber for corners fro instance),it makes a big difference in how bright it ends up being.
Chris
Old 11-28-2007, 01:57 PM

Default Re: (TeamNextGenChris)

I've used several types of led bulbs and the tower units work the best... I'm currently using these bulbs and I'm happy with the output..

and it looked like this installed:

*daytime with running lights on and taken from a camera phone*

Each bulb will act differently depending on the housing, bulb design and the reflectors... MOST led's will get sun washed (over powered by direct sunlight), this is always an important thing to remember...
Old 11-29-2007, 04:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

One of my buddies ordered the same type of bulb I had pictured above at the same time I ordered mine, but he got red instead of white. He doesn't need them anymore and said I could have his so I'll report the results with red 1157's instead of white.
Old 11-29-2007, 05:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

^^

can't wait to see the results
Old 11-29-2007, 05:53 PM
Me Gusta History

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by PatrickGSR94 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">One of my buddies ordered the same type of bulb I had pictured above at the same time I ordered mine, but he got red instead of white. He doesn't need them anymore and said I could have his so I'll report the results with red 1157's instead of white. </TD></TR></TABLE>

And do some comparisons to a normal incandescent bulb in both day and night conditions. I think that's a very valuable lesson I learned.
Old 12-03-2007, 12:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Here it is guys:

https://honda-tech.com/zerothread/2166668

Anybody tried a bulb like this? Looks like it should be bright as crap with 57 LED's per bulb!!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors...ZWDVW
Old 12-03-2007, 02:56 PM

I'd sooner use these type bulbs (the ones with regular 5 or 3mm led's aren't nearly as bright):

^not sure how bright these are gonna be...

***click pics for ebay sales***

The main problem is risking they money for bulbs that may or may not be worth the money.... It's a tough call....
Old 12-03-2007, 04:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (CarbonizedDX)

I will pitch in $15-20 for test-fund
Old 12-05-2007, 07:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I've havn't ordered anything cause I've noticed there's a few I wanted buy and tried out it. Still waiting to pick out what brand type, lol
Old 12-07-2007, 08:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (BERT-O)

heres some pictures of spiderlite leds

parking lights

brake lights
Old 12-08-2007, 03:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (grog)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by grog &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">heres some pictures of spiderlite leds

parking lights

brake lights

</TD></TR></TABLE>
i just don't know how well those will work.the stock tail lights depend a lot on reflected light going backwards off the bulb.those don't look to produce any backlight.
chris
Old 12-08-2007, 07:21 PM

Default Re: (TeamNextGenChris)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by TeamNextGenChris &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
i just don't know how well those will work.the stock tail lights depend a lot on reflected light going backwards off the bulb.those don't look to produce any backlight.
chris</TD></TR></TABLE>

The other problem with spider lights is they are only best (specially the five arm unit) in large tail light housings, my 96's tails are too narrow top to bottom to even have those open. But as you said the rear reflection is important and those units are relying only on strait off the led output....
Old 12-09-2007, 07:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

It looks to me like the 57 LED bulbs I posted above have the best potential... that is, if they are well-constructed.
Old 12-09-2007, 07:40 PM
Darth ModerVader

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by PatrickGSR94 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">It looks to me like the 57 LED bulbs I posted above have the best potential... that is, if they are well-constructed.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I suppose, but because of the directional nature of the LEDs, there still won't much light emitted downwards towards the base of the bulb, and it's this light that is so important for illuminating the reflector.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 1157/1156 LED lights bulbs