Notices

HOW TO INSTALL AN FITTINGS!!!!

Old 11-12-2007, 10:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HOW TO INSTALL AN FITTINGS!!!!

Being that I sell AN fittings, I get this question a lot. So I thought I would put together a how to.

www.brfittings.com

The first thing you need to know is the length of hose that is needed. So after you take your measurements and you know how much you need. Mark it on your steel braided hose using electrical tape. Wrap the electrical tape around the hose tightly 4-5 times around. Then use masking tape, and wrap that around 2-3 times.

Now once you've done that tighten it down in the vise just like the picture above. Then get you high speed cut off wheel with 5" blade and make the cut as straight as possible.

Then take the tape off, you should have a nice clean cut, with very little fraying of the steel braid. Don't forget to blow the line out using compressed air.

Now get your AN fitting and screw off the socket part from the nipple end.

If your going to be installing a lot of AN fittings then I would recommend getting the Koul Tool. It will make things a lot easier and a lot less cussing will be involved, lol.

Once the Koul Tool is in the vise all you have to do is insert the steel braided hose in and twist while pushing in. In less then 15 seconds the steel braided line is in the socket head.

Now if you don't have this tool which most people don't. Then you need to use your
vise jaws to hold the socket head. I would recommend using smooth vise jaws that
way you don't scratch up your fittings. Insert the steel braided line at an angle and use a flat head screw driver to push the steel braided line in while turning the line clockwise.Be careful not to scratch the socket fitting.

Push the steel braided hose right up underneath the threads, about 1/16" from the threads. Don't push it right up against the threads because you won't be able to get the threads started when you screw the socket head onto the nipple part of the fitting

So now you have the steel braided hose in the socket head. Take a piece of masking tape and wrap it around the steel braided hose for a reference point. This is important because if the steel braided line starts to back out when your screwing the socket head onto the nipple part of the fitting you will know.

Now take the nipple part of the fitting and dip the first 1/4" of the fitting in motor oil.

Now take the nipple part of the fitting and thread it on the socket head. Tighten it as far as you can by hand. Then take a boxed end wrench and tighten it down. Push up on the hose while tightening it down to prevent it from backing out. I have found that using the ratcheting boxed end wrenches works the best, they don't scratch the fittings. In the picture I'm using a 19mm to tighten down a -6 fitting. Here's a list of what wrench you will need with the different AN fitting hose ends. This list is for B & R Fitting hose ends, other brands may differ.

AN 4 straight 14mm
AN 4 45º,90º,150º etc. 5/8"
AN 6 19mm
AN 8 1"
AN 10 27mm
AN 12 1 1/4"

Keep your hand close to the wrench when tightening down, if you use too much leverage the fittings can break. They are aluminum.

Tighten down until there is a small gap between the socket head and the main fitting. Don't bottom them out. Also check your reference point (the tape) to make sure it didn't back out. If it did, unscrew and repeat the steps. When the hose backs out, I have found that the hose wasn't pushed in close enough to the threads on the socket head.

This is what it should look like when your done. No scratches.

Here's a plug for the Koul Tool. They come in two sets. The small set comes with sizes -4, -6, and -8. The larger set comes with -10, -12, and -16.

Last edited by B R Fittings; 02-15-2013 at 12:29 PM.
Old 11-12-2007, 10:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

nice how-to. good stuff!
Old 11-13-2007, 02:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: HOW TO INSTALL AN FITTINGS!!!! (B R Fittings)

after the hose is in the socket end, you are supposed to fit the fitting end into the vice, and turn the socket onto the fitting by turning the hose.( when it gets tight, then use a wrench on it)
you are doing it backwards, and probably why you have problems pushing the hose out. you have it backwards.
Old 11-13-2007, 02:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: (south504)

it's a little easier with the nylon-braided black hoses. and it doesnt cut ya like the steel-braided. hehe

nice write-up.
Old 11-13-2007, 04:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (STREETWERKZ)

i bought koultool's product few weeks ago, they help out big time when doing AN lines. Awesome write up.
Old 11-13-2007, 04:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (STREETWERKZ)

those koul tools do help assembly and avoiding scratching up the fittings, I have a set from another distibutor I had to order some special made fittings through.

I have been cheating now anyways though, I use the new push lock stuff.
Old 11-13-2007, 04:58 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Default Re: (twkdCD595)

kool write up!! the fraying of the steel braid line isnt so pleasant on the fingers
Old 11-13-2007, 05:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (DfwBB6)

Try cutting the steel braided line with a concrete chisel, makes a much cleaner cut.
Old 11-13-2007, 05:27 AM

Default Re: (905_Legend)

Nice write-up. A true testament to why I don't sell them.
Old 11-13-2007, 05:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (905_Legend)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 905_Legend &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Try cutting the steel braided line with a concrete chisel, makes a much cleaner cut.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yep chisel FTW.

http://www.anplumbing.com/TURBO_TECH.html
Old 11-13-2007, 06:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (ladysman)

there also is a really nice set of shears for specifically cutting braided line... those work very well for making clean cuts... I dont want to plug a company who is not a sponsor here but they should be easy to find if someone was interested.
Old 11-13-2007, 06:10 AM

Default Re: (twkdCD595)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by DaveF &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">after the hose is in the socket end, you are supposed to fit the fitting end into the vice, and turn the socket onto the fitting by turning the hose.( when it gets tight, then use a wrench on it)
you are doing it backwards, and probably why you have problems pushing the hose out. you have it backwards. </TD></TR></TABLE>
his way works...your way works also...good DIY
Old 11-13-2007, 06:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I use a dremel and a cut off wheel, I tried the 30+ tooth per inch saw blades and they are ****, I also second the black nylon hose being cake to install, wish all my hose was black.
Old 11-13-2007, 06:38 AM

Default Re: HOW TO INSTALL AN FITTINGS!!!! (DaveF)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by DaveF &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">after the hose is in the socket end, you are supposed to fit the fitting end into the vice, and turn the socket onto the fitting by turning the hose.( when it gets tight, then use a wrench on it)
you are doing it backwards, and probably why you have problems pushing the hose out. you have it backwards. </TD></TR></TABLE>

You can do it either way, it really doesn't matter. I don't have any problems with them backing out.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 905_Legend &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Try cutting the steel braided line with a concrete chisel, makes a much cleaner cut.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I'd probably end up cutting off my hand or missing the chisel and breaking my arm, lol.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by STREETWERKZ &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

it's a little easier with the nylon-braided black hoses. and it doesnt cut ya like the steel-braided. hehe

nice write-up. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Ya I agree, the nylon hose is pretty easy on the fingers, and pretty heavy on the wallet, lol. I tell people the price and most of the time they say I'll take the steel braided line.
Old 11-14-2007, 11:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (96 GSR-T)

where do i go about getting one of those koul tools?
Old 11-14-2007, 11:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I use a cut off disk as well. As long as you wrap the line tight you'll get little fray in the wire. Just remember when putting the red cap side on that you twist it with the fray to put it on if you don't have a koul tool.
Old 11-14-2007, 12:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

nice write up man. but i guess it's not totaly nessasry to have that blue jig thing that goes into the vice to hold the fittings while your making the line right?
Old 11-14-2007, 12:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (stealthmode62)

thanks
Old 11-14-2007, 01:32 PM

Default Re: (d15bfi)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by d15bfi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">where do i go about getting one of those koul tools?</TD></TR></TABLE>

I know jegs has them and racer parts wholesale has them.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by PrecisionH23a &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I use a cut off disk as well. As long as you wrap the line tight you'll get little fray in the wire. Just remember when putting the red cap side on that you twist it with the fray to put it on if you don't have a koul tool.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I forgot to put that, thanks.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Flexin5 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">nice write up man. but i guess it's not totaly nessasry to have that blue jig thing that goes into the vice to hold the fittings while your making the line right? </TD></TR></TABLE>

You don't need to but it makes it easier. You can use the aluminum vise jaws like the one in the pictures above. Or you can take the inserts out on your vise and replace them with smooth flat steel ones. That way you don't scratch the fittings.
Old 11-14-2007, 04:30 PM
official honda whore

Default Re: (B R Fittings)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by B R Fittings &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

You don't need to but it makes it easier. You can use the aluminum vise jaws like the one in the pictures above. Or you can take the inserts out on your vise and replace them with smooth flat steel ones. That way you don't scratch the fittings. </TD></TR></TABLE>

or use wood wrapped with a towel
Old 11-14-2007, 04:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Nice.
Old 02-20-2008, 07:58 PM

Nice! I need this..
Old 02-20-2008, 11:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: HOW TO INSTALL AN FITTINGS!!!! (17)

nice...

i used a cutting disc too, it smells bad
Old 02-21-2008, 12:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: HOW TO INSTALL AN FITTINGS!!!! (RACEPAK)

I've always used a little vasoline on the fitting/hose so it slips in easily.

Old 02-21-2008, 05:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: HOW TO INSTALL AN FITTINGS!!!! (ExVtec)

hand soap works really good

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: HOW TO INSTALL AN FITTINGS!!!!