Notices
Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

Front end Accident, help me identify what needs replacing (radiator support and ?)

Old 10-27-2007, 06:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front end Accident, help me identify what needs replacing (radiator support and ?)

Well I was in a front end accident wiht my 6thGen Accord V6 Coupe and banged up my hood and driver side fender pretty good. I was quoted over 5k in repair costs to make the car as good as new (parts, labor, paint.. everything), but wouldn't mind finding the parts and doing it myself.

Ive hit a snag identifying the parts bent under the hood and the fender. Is the only thing I need a new radiator support and how hard would it be to replace yourself? Would this fix the bending of the metal up to the windshield?

Modified by ramstrung at 10:12 PM 10/27/2007
Old 10-27-2007, 07:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Front end Accident, help me identify what needs replacing (ramstrung)

radiator support assembly can be a bitch depending on how bad its bent...you will need a bumper(obviously) bumper support and bumper support assemblies and you may need a new windshield washer tank n pump
Old 10-28-2007, 07:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Front end Accident, help me identify what needs replacing (ramstrung)

hey that aint nuthin for you to fix man....lol check this before and after out....took me 5 straight days of hammering, cutting, and just a little welding ....

Name:  000_0121.jpg
Views: 2816
Size:  48.9 KB

goodluck man....

Modified by Grandhustleman86 at 11:24 AM 10/28/2007

Modified by Grandhustleman86 at 1:12 PM 10/28/2007
Old 10-28-2007, 12:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Front end Accident, help me identify what needs replacing (Grandhustleman86)

I think my list went a little like this....new core support....new headlights....grille....latch assembly....latch support bar....lower latch support bar....new radiator supports....new new bumper supports....new corner lights....new bumper lights....new radiator....new radiator hoses....new PS lines and A/C lines....new front motor mount....hood....driver side fender and thats about all....it brings back very very painstaking moments.... ....but she looks alot better now....assuming your pretty mechanically inclined....this should be a breeze for you....good place to start is on that headlight support area and straighten it out as good as possible....hammer, pry it, get it straight again....use the other side to compare with....but as of now the "NEW/USED" hood and fender you should get here soon for test fitting when your pulling out the damage....just a heads up....

Modified by Grandhustleman86 at 3:06 PM 10/28/2007
Old 10-28-2007, 02:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: Front end Accident, help me identify what needs replacing (Grandhustleman86)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Grandhustleman86 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I think my list went a little like this....new core support....new headlights....grille....latch assembly....latch support bar....lower latch support bar....new radiator supports....new new bumper supports....new corner lights....new bumper lights....new radiator....new radiator hoses....new PS lines and A/C lines....new front motor mount....hood....driver side fender and thats about all....it brings back very very painstaking moments.... ....but she looks alot better now....assuming your pretty mechanically inclined....this should be a breeze for you....good place to start is on that headlight support area and straighten it out as good as possible....hammer, pry it, get it straight again....use the other side to compare with....but as of now the "NEW/USED" hood and fender you should get here soon for test fitting when your pulling out the damage....just a heads up....
Modified by Grandhustleman86 at 2:08 PM 10/28/2007</TD></TR></TABLE>

You are naming non existing parts for this vehicle...

This vehicle doesn't show any obvious damage that demands a new bumper support or bumper stay.

Needs frame work, measure all ends and pull the structure back to where it needs to be. Measure again and make any necessary welds.
Needs:
1)Left fender panel
2)Hood panel
3)Left headlamp assembly

By the looks of it, the bumper still was attached to the fender, which means the tabs aren't broken, so bumper could be reused.
The upper radiator support may not bend back to its prior shape without cracking, so you might need a new upper radiator support.
Needs to have new hood painted, blend to right fender. Paint bumper, paint left fender and blend to right front door. I estimate around 1200 to 1400 for it.
Needs alignment on 4 wheels again.
Old 10-28-2007, 02:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Front end Accident, help me identify what needs replacing (gianinline)

My bumper cover/bumper wasnt damaged, only the headlight, hood, and fender and the supporting pieces underneath these parts. The metal is twisted pretty good and I tried pulling, prying, hammering today without much luck and I am leaning towards replacing the parts.
Does anyone know the name of the support/metal that goes from the radiator support up underneath the fender? I think I need to replace those pieces as well so my new hood and fender can bolt on and line up correctly.

I am also going to bring it around to some local shops for quotes on just replacing these bent pieces of metal support since a new pieces would have to to be welded back on (dont have a welder), What would be a reasonable price for a shop to just replacing the bent frame pieces?
Old 10-28-2007, 02:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Nice job on that repair, sounds like you went all out doing your own welds. I am hoping to have the same results with a little help from a body shop on the straightening the supports or welding in a new one.
Old 10-28-2007, 03:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Front end Accident, help me identify what needs replacing (gianinline)

Love your input....thanks bud....as for the fact of being in the middle of Iraq and having no access to my mitchell or my chiltons (expletive a haynes)....the "LATCH ASSEMBLY"....is infact an "EXISTING" part....these following "EXISTING" parts are named off the top of my head ALSO TO HELP YOU I'VE SUPPLIED YOU A PICTURE ....the "LATCH SUPPORT BAR"....and the "LOWER LATCH SUPPORT BAR"....believe it or not these are real parts kinda suprising huh....now what you could do for me is find me the correct names for these parts that'd be nice....

heres your picture 90-93 core support....

and for the Headlight support area (sorry for not being so specific )

this core support pictured is a 98-02

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by gianinline &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">This vehicle doesn't show any obvious damage that demands a new bumper support or bumper stay.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Name:  000_0122.jpg
Views: 2670
Size:  39.8 KB

For the obviously blind this bumper (pictured above) is drastically dipping to the ground on the driver side....mostly due to the fact of cracked (yes cracked/ripped a tab on the support) driver side bumper support bracket....therefore needing a replacement one....while I was at it I bought both....

Now onto the good points...."blending of the paint to match up to the aged paint" must agree....and the alignment is an assumed task....hey we all have our days.
Old 10-28-2007, 03:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I don't recall the name of the part, but it won't be replaced, that is why i told you that the car will need frame work. The car will be placed on a frame machine, will have all corners secured to the machine, and using the required tools, you gently pull out the damage, and measure, pull out some more, measure, until you get to where it needs to stay. The spots that may have broken welds, will be re-welded, sealed and then new parts can be installed.
Just take it to a body shop, but again..... this kind of job is around 1000 to 1400, including parts (i'm thinking aftermarket prices on my head.... btw) and paint service as required.
Old 10-28-2007, 03:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dont forget to get an alignment just in case.
Old 10-28-2007, 03:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I read your post again, and realized that you were naming parts for YOUR vehicle. Which is fine.... but the OP was asking about what parts HE needed, and when you say... bumper support, bumper lights and stuff i was like: "...didn't he see that v6 engine belongs to a 6th generation accord?!... those don't have bumper lights". Don't get all crazy now... lol
He will have to take the car to a shop no matter what. Need to have the frame measured up otherwise parts won't align and have proper gaps.

Old 10-28-2007, 03:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ramstrung &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Nice job on that repair, sounds like you went all out doing your own welds. I am hoping to have the same results with a little help from a body shop on the straightening the supports or welding in a new one. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Thanks man it was pretty rough and tedious....hey man do what you can there at the house, it'll be cheaper in the long run....if you need any help finding replacement parts im willing to help....I have a couple of friends who own a bodyshop in Tennessee where im from that could get you OEM Replacement stuff real cheap....but let us kno how it goes and take pics man....wished I had the time to do a step by step on my work....have you started working with it yet or you still assessing the damage?
Old 10-28-2007, 03:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by gianinline &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">"...didn't he see that v6 engine belongs to a 6th generation accord?!... those don't have bumper lights"</TD></TR></TABLE>

It's cool man...lol....i thought you were telling me my **** didnt exist I was like ummmm....lol....but yes as i posted above it'd be a good idea to fix what he can and then comes some shop time....again we all have our days....

Modified by Grandhustleman86 at 4:27 PM 10/28/2007