Notices
Honda Prelude All Model Preludes

somebody tell me how this works (immobilizer)

Old 10-26-2007, 07:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default somebody tell me how this works (immobilizer)

Ok i bought this 99 prelude auto trans,salvaged due to ricer(lol) anyway it came with a red key but the guys there tried to start it with the red key.I hear that is bad long story short i got it cheap and no i am not trying to STEAL someones car i am driving it now so that would be easy.If someone can help please pm me and let me know the way i am driving it the tranny doesnt shift right and it cant be good on it.THANKS ALOT in advance....
Old 10-27-2007, 06:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Re: somebody tell me how this works (mystclsklz)

i'll be the first to say, what.... You need to rewrite that in english. I couldn't understand a word you just said.
Old 10-27-2007, 09:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Immobilizer works off a chip in the key. The ECU has a code that must be matched by the key to start it, even if the key turns the ignition.
The rest of what you're asking I have no clue what you are asking
Old 10-27-2007, 10:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (BMan88)

You can't drive with the red one. Do you have a black key? If you not, take the red key to the dealer so that they can make you a regular key.
Old 10-27-2007, 01:02 PM

Can they make a master key from a valet key?
Old 10-27-2007, 01:14 PM

wait i thought the red key was for like the ecu or something. if i was you i would take your registration and I.D to honda and theyll make a new key for u based off your VIN.
Old 10-27-2007, 04:48 PM

Ok heres the deal I am driving the car but with the ecu setup i am running the transmission does not shift right.I took it to the dealer but they say i have to buy a new immobilizer becouse the blk key they cut and attempted to program did not work........NOW i know there is a way to wire around this crap i have got the starter part done also the fuel but i can't figure out the spark.Im just trying to not spend a grip on the imm.setup SO any help on my spark issue would be greatfully appreciated.
Old 10-27-2007, 05:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

your biggest mistake was starting the car with the red key...thas a huge no no
Old 10-27-2007, 06:58 PM

The place i bought it from did they were trying to start the car.I just refuse to pay that much for something that doesnt have to be on the car.
Old 10-29-2007, 05:33 PM

SO whats up whos gonna help me figure this out.I am going to start experimenting with the unit in the ecu in the next couple of days.Also before one of you guys say something stupid,I can prove it is my car and will gladly do so with any helpers in pm.Thanks
Old 10-30-2007, 01:03 PM

Default Re: (mystclsklz)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by prelude_93vtec &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">take your registration and I.D to honda and theyll make a new key for u based off your VIN. </TD></TR></TABLE>

first do that so yuou have the right key and not the red one!
Old 10-30-2007, 05:52 PM

read up a couple posts i took it to honda they took two hours to cut me a blk key and tell me i needed a new immobilizer unit,I understand some of you have the opinion the immobilizer is good but i do not want it on her car she likes to loose keys.I am bypassing the immobilizer and WILL figure it out but would like to skip the headache if someone already knows...
Old 10-30-2007, 06:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i need to know how to bypass the imoblizer too
just waiting for an answer

i have no red key
and only one programmed black key that works
i have another black key that is not programmed (because no red key)....this one just opens the door but does not start the car
if i lose the black programmed key...im screwed
Old 10-30-2007, 07:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

use and OBDI ecu...
Old 10-30-2007, 08:33 PM

I am running a conv harness with an obd1 gsr ecu but i need to use the factory ecu due to the auto trans it wont shift right.
Old 11-03-2007, 09:00 AM

So whats up all you guys saying you knew how to bypass this crap were you just full of it or what.
Old 06-16-2008, 11:35 AM

HA HA HA I FIGURED IT OUT ON MY OWN AND IT IS SO EASY I FEEL STUPID FOR WAITING THIS LONG TO MESS WITH IT.
Old 06-16-2008, 07:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default FV-QR

You should at least post up the fix asshat.

the RED one is for programing.

It will star the car ONCE, and to a dealership. THATS IT. For your dumbass to get a new Key.
Old 06-17-2008, 02:34 PM

Default Re: FV-QR (RaysBoomBoomLude)

Any one that doesn't have a RED key can call up a locksmith and get them to flash the ICU (immobilizer control unit) located under the little piece of carpet in the passenger floorboard and program a new RED key for WAY LESS than the dealer charges to replace it with a new one. I normally charge around 300 bucks to do the entire job locally. I know 3 yards is a lot to pay for a key but think about some of the Toyotas that I charge 1500 to make a key to and it doesn't seem so bad. Trying to start the car with the RED kay will do nothing but put the car in a "Lockout mode" for a few minutes and then you can just start the car with your normal key.
<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Ralleh &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Can they make a master key from a valet key?</TD></TR></TABLE>
NO!!
<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by mystclsklz &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">read up a couple posts i took it to honda they took two hours to cut me a blk key and tell me i needed a new immobilizer unit,I understand some of you have the opinion the immobilizer is good but i do not want it on her car she likes to loose keys.I am bypassing the immobilizer and WILL figure it out but would like to skip the headache if someone already knows...</TD></TR></TABLE>
The immobilizer makes it very difficult and impossible if you don't have the right equipment, to steal your car. A thief can not just break the ignition and crank your car without a programmed key. So, yes it is good, if you don't want your car stolen, but if you don't care, I don't either. It's not my car. Also you probably need to have the proper ecu in the car to be able to program new keys. I think you sated earlier that you were running some other ecu. That is most likely why Honda told you they could not program a key to your car.
Old 06-18-2008, 05:45 AM

Default Re: FV-QR (slamdlude)

Ok dude i been asking for 8 months for anyone to help me on here with no help at all.I wont be posting a fix anytime soon.
Old 06-18-2008, 05:52 AM

Default Re: FV-QR (slamdlude)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by slamdlude &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Any one that doesn't have a RED key can call up a locksmith and get them to flash the ICU (immobilizer control unit) located under the little piece of carpet in the passenger floorboard and program a new RED key for WAY LESS than the dealer charges to replace it with a new one. I normally charge around 300 bucks to do the entire job locally. I know 3 yards is a lot to pay for a key but think about some of the Toyotas that I charge 1500 to make a key to and it doesn't seem so bad. Trying to start the car with the RED kay will do nothing but put the car in a "Lockout mode" for a few minutes and then you can just start the car with your normal key.

(Ok first off honda only charges 20 bux to make a new key from the red one but if the immobilizer unit is junk then its junk thats why i am doing this(its common sense)

the immobilizer makes it very difficult and impossible if you don't have the right equipment, to steal your car. A thief can not just break the ignition and crank your car without a programmed key. So, yes it is good, if you don't want your car stolen, but if you don't care, I don't either. It's not my car. Also you probably need to have the proper ecu in the car to be able to program new keys. I think you sated earlier that you were running some other ecu. That is most likely why Honda told you they could not program a key to your car.</TD></TR></TABLE>
Uhh do you own a honda my grandma can steal any honda made An immobilizer will not stop a thief conversion harnesses and hondata have made it all to possible to do that.I did put the proper ecu in READ.I have been building imports for damn near a decade i think i know how to keep someone from stealing mine you dont have to worry.
If anyone wants thier immobilizer disabled pm me i can do it for 100.00 and thats cheap as hell.

Modified by mystclsklz at 2:58 PM 6/18/2008
Old 06-30-2008, 12:30 PM

Default Re: FV-QR (RaysBoomBoomLude)

please can you tell me how you done it?? ive got a done up honda civic and all i can do is look at it if anyones got anything email deanbadi87@hotmail.com i live in the uk
Old 07-10-2008, 11:11 PM

Default Re:

a man how do you do it because i lost my key and i dont want to pay alot of money pm me back man
Old 07-14-2008, 02:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Whenever I want a spare key for my 5th gen 'lude I just go to the Honda dealer parts dept. with my VIN#. The key is expensive because of the immobilizer chip ($22), but I bought mine used and never got the red key, but I really don't think it is needed since my car came with two aftermarket keys, and the two the honda parts guy made for me work too.