Notices
Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

Honda Accord 94 , stalls when stopped and A/C is on.

Old 10-01-2007, 02:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Honda Accord 94 , stalls when stopped and A/C is on.

Hey guys.

Driven my accord for years but lately it's been acting strange. If I just starting up or if I am coming to a stop (traffic / stop light) if I have the a/c on the engine tends to stall. Does anyone know what the problem is? And If you do any tutorials or diagrams on how ti fix it?

Also,

I think my master brake cylinder is out. I just change my brakes less than a year ago but there are times when i have to double pump or press my brake all the way down to make a good stop. It's not always but sometimes. My mechanic is wanting to charge me 280$ to replace it. Does that sound about right or high?

Thanks a lot! I'm on a tight budget as I am a student and also would love to learn more about fixing things myself.
Old 10-01-2007, 04:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Honda Accord 94 , stalls when stopped and A/C is on. (Miburo)

Maybe your car needs a tune up and is not running with the same power that it had before. It might be ideling low because of this. Try spark plugs, wires, clean EGR port, change PCV valve (~$3).

If you get the manual, changing the master cylinder shouldnt be too bad. Might need a sunday to do it though since its your first time. Do a search on here about this.

Try this tread as well. https://honda-tech.com/zerothread/2113185
Old 10-01-2007, 06:19 PM

Default Re: Honda Accord 94 , stalls when stopped and A/C is on. (professorman)

Thanks a lot for the reply. Sadly I have the automatic. I might just have to get the cylinder done by a mechanic.

I failed to mention if the A/C is off the car runs smoothly. I just replaced the spark plugs recently myself for the first time. Could i have messed up on something? Also I read things related to the IACV could this be the cause? and if it is do you know where it is located on 94 accords?

I've been a car noob for years and am pretty excited that I'm actually learning on how to do a few things on it
Old 10-01-2007, 08:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Assuming 4-cyl Accord LX, the IAC valve is #19 on the back side of the intake manifold. Back against the firewall, there might not me much room to work...

There's also a chance your AC compressor is going out, and it takes too much torque to turn it. That's probably best checked out by an AC mechanic.
Old 10-01-2007, 09:32 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

there's also something in the AC electrical system that senses electrical load from the AC - if that goes out then the computer doesnt adjust the idle for the AC being on, and so it stalls out because of the extra load. When he said "manual" above, I think he meant like a Haynes manual or Chilton manual, i.e. shop manual, not manual transmission. Anyhow - one of these manuals will tell you how to check the AC thing yourself, just like it will tell you how to swap out the master cylinder - might also want to bleed and top off your brake fluid before you start buying parts. good luck!
Old 10-01-2007, 10:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Here are two problems (but not the only problems) that can cause your car to stall when the A/C is turned on and the car is idling. They both have to do with A/C compressor becoming too much for the engine to turn. (The compressor is driven by a belt which is attached to the crankshaft).

When there is too much pressure in the A/C lines, the compressor has to work really hard to compress the gas in the lines. When that higher than normal load from the compressor is added to the engine, the engine just stalls. This is the more likely scenario if you just had your A/C serviced. However, there is also a pressure switch that is supposed to shut off the compressor if there is too high pressure.

If the compressor itself starts to build too much internal resistance (due to wear in the compressor), then again the compressor becomes much harder to turn, and when that load is added to the engine, it just stalls. This is the more likely scenario if you haven't had your A/C serviced for a long time and you have the original compressor.

As far as problems with the IAC valve, I doubt those would cause your problem. Here is what I think happens: When you push the A/C button, a signal is sent to the ECM (computer). The ECM then tells the IAC valve to add more air to the engine, thereby increasing power and RPMs, in anticipation of the extra load the A/C compressor will place on the engine. The ECM then tells the A/C compressor clutch to engage, adding the compressor load to the engine.

If the electrical connection between your A/C button and ECM was broken, then the A/C would not turn on at all. If the electrical connection between the ECM and IAC valve was broken, then there would be no control over idle speed and there would be a check engine light. So, there is no IAC valve problem specific to the A/C system.

There is no "electrical load" sensor specific for the A/C. What is important for the A/C is mechanical load anyway. (With an engaged compressor, a mechanical load is added to the engine). I think your compressor is placing too much mechanical load on the engine, and the ECM is not able to compensate for it through opening the IAC valve more.

It took all that to say, I think your compressor is probably dieing. However, I'm not great with air conditioning, and I'm not sure that all I said about it is true. But those are my ideas!
Old 10-02-2007, 05:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (97LXF20B)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 97LXF20B &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">there's also something in the AC electrical system that senses electrical load from the AC...</TD></TR></TABLE>
The IAC valve doesn't operate by itself. The ECU has to tell it how far to open & close.

The ELD senses electrical loads (any electrical loads) so the ECU can anticipate the drag from the alternator. You'll get a CEL if that's bad.

The mechanical drag from the AC compressor is much larger than the electrical load from the AC thru the alternator. The ECU is 'aware' of the AC because the ECU controls the compressor clutch. But if the compressor has excessive drag, the ECU doesn't seem to be able to automatically handle that.
Old 10-02-2007, 07:42 AM

you might have an A/c compressor that is locked up ........remove the belt and see if you can spin the compressor by hand
Old 10-02-2007, 07:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Honda Accord 94 , stalls when stopped and A/C is on. (Honda-Master)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Honda-Master &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">you might have an A/c compressor that is locked up ........remove the belt and see if you can spin the compressor by hand </TD></TR></TABLE>When you do that, probably the compressor clutch is disengaged & the pulley will just freewheel. What's the best way to engage the clutch so you're actually spinning the compressor? Will it work to simply have the engine running, & switch on the AC without the belt installed?
Old 10-02-2007, 09:16 AM

Default Re: Honda Accord 94 , stalls when stopped and A/C is on. (JimBlake)

trust me... if compressor is locked up , you will not be able to spin it ..been there done that
Old 10-02-2007, 04:44 PM

Bozok and JimBlake - thanks for the corrections. That's basically what I meant, just didn't know how to articulate: IACV not adjusting properly for added mechanical load. Anyhow... thanks!
Old 10-07-2007, 08:01 PM

Thanks for all the information guys. I ordered a master cylinder and am going to search for a manual today (any suggestions on where to get a manual for 94 accord?) . Luckily I had another car to drive for a bit.

I failed to mention that when my car is running on the highway or any situation I can sustain speed and gas the engine and A/C runs fine.

Another thing that just started happening today is my speedometer all the sudden acted like it was possessed. For the most part it is accurate but all the sudden it would jump or fall drastically while the car is running fine...

Old 10-08-2007, 07:32 PM

Default Re: (Miburo)

My AC does the exact same thing! Now I'm going to have to check the pressure on it..

But as for the speedometer jumping, mine did the same thing as well and it turned out it was the VSS (vehicle speed sensor) cost about $20 on ebay i believe and not that hard to change.

Also they have Haynes manuals at places like autozone..
Old 04-08-2011, 09:26 AM
Trial User

Default Re: Honda Accord 94 , stalls when stopped and A/C is on.

wow i have the same problem just installed a/c in my 1994 h22 hb and i turn the a/c on let it idle for a few minutes then it just stalls out turn the air off and all is well what a head thump never heard to much pressure in a/c could cause this but i will try to let some freon out to see if it will fix the the problem and post if it will do the Trick thanx
Old 07-05-2011, 03:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by reklizone
wow i have the same problem just installed a/c in my 1994 h22 hb and i turn the a/c on let it idle for a few minutes then it just stalls out turn the air off and all is well what a head thump never heard to much pressure in a/c could cause this but i will try to let some freon out to see if it will fix the the problem and post if it will do the Trick thanx

I had this issue installing my Ac unit. When i took it to the Ac shop the Ac tech told me the fan was not ingauging, which would cause the car to die due to the Pressure build up from the system overheating.

SO check you fan... It must be on at all times while the ac button is pushed in (Ac clutch ingauged). You can test this with the car off. Turn key to on position, Turn AC ON full blast, and you should hear the fan turn on. If you dont check to make sure the fan shroud is not bend causing the fan to lock up and not turn. IF that is good then it is a bad fan motor/wiring issue.

Hope this helps a bit for anyone who happens to stumble upon this.
Old 09-05-2011, 08:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i had the same problem with my car cutting off .. i just cleaned out the IAC valve a few days ago and the problem still exist
Old 09-28-2011, 04:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I am currently experiencing these issues too (A/C on, car stumbles and often stalls when letting off the gas to decelerate or stop at a light). I thoroughly cleaned the IACV, bled the cooling system only to find out my car doesn't have a FITV and I even reset the ecu a number of times to relearn the idle, which only lasts for 15 minutes before it relapses. Something somewhere is not telling the ECM to open the throttle a little more when the A/C kicks on.
Old 07-13-2013, 08:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Did anyone fix their problem?, Im having the same issue, have changed everything, compressor, IAC, throttle body...and nothing seems to work, car runs great without the ac on, but if it is cold or if A/C on, car starts acting up, help please... ( right now Im putting a ground cable on the thermostat to see if that helps.
Old 07-15-2013, 01:45 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Turning the ac on and assuming the compressor is cycling on, the ecu should bump up the idle and adjust the alternator accordingly. If this isn't happening this issue could be the ecu being bad.

I suppose the "engine coolant termperature sensor" could be bad too. I would test that first.
Old 07-21-2014, 02:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Miburo,
I had something like that happen with speedometer and it was just a loose wiring harness near the the alternator check your wiring harnesses first before replacing any thing.
hope this helps
Old 07-21-2014, 09:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

here is the manual.
50MB, 1400 pages.

https://mega.co.nz/#!t1Vn0CzJ!6RYWjI...xi8920DjpaclNo

Good luck
Old 07-21-2014, 11:32 PM
MM Gruppe B

Received 83 Likes on 76 Posts

I see what you did there Otis.
Old 07-28-2014, 04:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Hey onunezp,
Thank-you for posting the link for the service manual! It was a huge help in troubleshooting some small problems in my 1994 Honda.
Old 07-28-2014, 11:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

You are very welcome Otis,
im glad it helped you
Old 08-01-2014, 11:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I had the same issue with my VSS, ordered an ebay sensor and it lasted a little over a year. I got orders back to Cali, drove from NC then it quit as soon as I rolled in to San Diego. Get an OEM sensor, better quality and they last longer. I'm now have issues with rough idle while the A/C is on. Just recharged my A/C, never used it till now and now this is happening...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Honda Accord 94 , stalls when stopped and A/C is on.