Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

How To: Cabin Air Filter For 1998 - 2000 Civic

Old 09-30-2007, 07:04 AM
H-T White Ops

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Default How To: Cabin Air Filter For 1998 - 2000 Civic

Okay, as you may or may not know, the '96-'00 Civic came with a cabin air filter... Just not in the US. Don't ask me why, but though our USDM Civics with air conditioning have all the equipment to have a cabin air filter, we do not have the actual cabin air filter assembly, nor is it listed in the USDM EPC for our cars.

But, this is how you can make your '98-'00 Civic have a cabin air filter. '96-'97 models do not have the same assembly and cannot do this mod so easily!

The following photos are of a USDM 1998 Honda Civic EX coupe. Other years and trims might have slight differences.

Supplies
Phillips Tip Screwdriver
10mm Ratcheting Wrench/Socket
8mm Ratcheting Wrench/Socket
Needle nose Pliers
Flashlight
Bottle Brush
Vacuum

Parts
Cabin Air Filter Parts*:
- '97-'01 CR-V / '00-'06 Insight Cabin Air Filter
--- US Honda Part No.: 80291-ST3-E01 - List: $21.98
--- EDM Honda Part No. (Civic): 80291-ST3-505 - List: $21.98
--- Bosch Part No.: P3753 - List: $19.99
- '97-'01 CR-V / '00-'06 Insight / '96-'00 EDM Civic Cabin Air Filter Frame
--- Honda Part No.: 80292-ST3-E01 - List: $13.74
* I'd recommend you purchase these parts all separately instead of as a full filter assembly. The list for the full assembly is $55.93, while the parts separately which make up the assembly cost a total of $39.25 for some reason.

Installation Instructions

*NOTE* You can skip some of the panel removal if you happen to have a ratcheting 8mm wrench.

First, you're going to have to pull off your driver's side knee bolster panel. There's a screw above the coin pocket towards the door, and one on either corner of the bottom of the panel. There will also be one in the top corner next to the center of the dash. Once all those screws are removed you can pull the panel off. There will be a few metal clips along the top of the panel.

Then drop the glovebox by pushing the sides in to let it clear the frame it fits into. You can just let it hang there if you wish, or you can remove it by removing the screws at the bottom of the box.

Now get to work on the screws and bolts holding the 12 volt panel on above the cup holders. There will be a screw or bolt in each of the four corners (the lower glove box side corner will have a 10mm bolt) and then two screws right above the 12 volt plug. In the photo the 12 volt panel has been replaced with an ashtray and lighter, but the hardware is still in the same locations.

All of that just to get to one 8mm bolt (which is behind the center part of the dash, shown in the first color photo below).

Remove the screw at the top of the trim piece on the right side of the glovebox. There are three metal clips holding this piece on, so it might take some muscle to take the panel off.

If you haven't already, remove the 8mm/Phillips tip bolt in the lower left side of the glovebox frame. Then remove the 10mm bolt, plus the 8mm bolt near it which was just behind the 12 volt panel.

Remove the two 8mm bolts and the 10mm bolt from the lower right side of the glovebox frame too.

Make sure you're holding onto the metal bar and glovebox (if you have not removed it from the bar) so that no damage is done when you remove the last bolt on the bar.

You will see a tall black rectangular piece with a handle sticking out. This is the evaporator lid. Use needle nose pliers to pinch the white clip holding the wire harness on. The clip on the right might be easier to unclip if you use a flathead bit to press the edges of the clip in because of the lack of space. Then remove the screw that is holding the metal bracket on right in front of the evaporator lid.

Lift the edge of the top of the lid up and then do the same on the the bottom.

There it is. That's where the cabin air filter sits. It might be obvious that now would be a good time to clean that out. To the left you can see the metal evaporator. I used a bottle brush to remove the debris from the mesh and then carefully vacuumed it all up.

Put the filter into the frame, making sure that the air flow directions match.

The '97-'01 CR-V / '00-'06 Insight cabin air filter assembly will fit in here perfectly.

Once you install the filter, assembly is the opposite of disassembly.

Last edited by NOFX; 04-20-2009 at 12:12 PM.
Old 09-30-2007, 07:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

sweet write-up! did you notice a decrease in airflow once it was installed?
Old 09-30-2007, 11:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

nice, does that black panel go back over the filter to seal all the way?
Old 09-30-2007, 11:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I might just do this....Im tired of turning the vent on full, during the fall, and having bits of leaves hit me in the eyes...
Old 09-30-2007, 11:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (pdiggitydogg)

Nice write up!
Old 09-30-2007, 11:56 AM

Default Re: (pdiggitydogg)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by pdiggitydogg &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I might just do this....Im tired of turning the vent on full, during the fall, and having bits of leaves hit me in the eyes...</TD></TR></TABLE>

+1......That **** is really annoying and hate having to clean it up.

..On the write-up OP.
Old 09-30-2007, 12:08 PM

If there was one to fit an Eg I would definately do it, easier on the asthma. Ill just have to stick to protecting my lungs with a good coat of the ganj' smoke. Does anyone know if there is something like this for an Eg?
Old 09-30-2007, 01:48 PM

Default Re: (Endo-land)

Old 09-30-2007, 02:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

any reviews about it Amy?
Old 09-30-2007, 06:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Endo-land &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Does anyone know if there is something like this for an Eg?</TD></TR></TABLE>sorta, im rockin this
Old 09-30-2007, 06:40 PM
H-T White Ops

Default Re: (Iceman05)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Iceman05 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">sweet write-up! did you notice a decrease in airflow once it was installed?</TD></TR></TABLE>
No. Airflow is just fine.
<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by NastyHabitzCRX &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">nice, does that black panel go back over the filter to seal all the way?</TD></TR></TABLE>
Yes. Like I said, it's all like the EDM Civics, USDM Insight and USDM CR-V. It belongs in there, it just isn't listed for the USDM Civics.
<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by sk8shorty012 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">any reviews about it Amy? </TD></TR></TABLE>
It works well. I know leaves won't be blowing through my vents anytime soon.

And the airflow is actually better since I cleaned it out.
Old 09-30-2007, 06:45 PM
Darth ModerVader

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: How To: Cabin Air Filter For 6th Gen with A/C (NOFX)

Interesting and informative write-up. Thanks.
Old 09-30-2007, 07:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thats awesome! I wish you could do this in a del sol.
Old 09-30-2007, 07:43 PM
H-T White Ops

Checking the EDM parts diagrams for both a 5th gen VTi and a del Sol VTi, I don't think you can do it on those models because even those trims don't show a filter at all.

It could be worth dropping your glovebox and looking for something similar though.
Old 09-30-2007, 08:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

damn, i was changing my dad's accord carbin filter and thinking where is the civic one located....

I cant understand why Honda dont put one in!
than you for the informative thread. now you have to clean or change the filter every 30000 miles?
Old 09-30-2007, 08:23 PM
Ek Forever y0!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: (polything)

Easily one of the best/most functional write-ups out here. I will definately be doing this in the future.

Mad props girl.

(yes I'll keep the beer to myself )
Old 09-30-2007, 10:03 PM
H-T White Ops

Default Re: (polything)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by polything &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I cant understand why Honda dont put one in!</TD></TR></TABLE>
I was thinking that it might have something to do with what I heard about Buick in China. See, in China Buick is incredibly popular and looked up to. They sell great cars there and I've read reviews from Americans who said they were just phenomenal vehicles, yet their US counterparts are lacking in such enthusiasm. When he asked spokesmen for Buick, why doesn't the US get all of this, he was told, "This is what they expect from Buick in China." To which he replied back, "Does that mean Buick will be closing down in the US." They told him no.

But what I'm getting at is that perhaps more is expected out of the cars in Europe. I know they have some awesome options that most Americans wouldn't even dream of a Honda, much less a Civic, having back then.

It's just not what is expected out of a Civic in the US. In the US, a Civic is (especially 2005 and earlier) just an economy car. They're supposed to be reasonably cheap. Many in the US began seeing them as sporty, so a sportier model was introduced in the US, as there were already comparable models outside of the US.
<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by polything &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">than you for the informative thread. now you have to clean or change the filter every 30000 miles?</TD></TR></TABLE>
I would imagine the service on such a filter would be just as recommended to any other Honda, particularly the '97-'01 CR-V and '00-'06 Insight.

Glad everyone's enjoying the info.
Old 09-30-2007, 10:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (NOFX)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by NOFX &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
No. Airflow is just fine.

Yes. Like I said, it's all like the EDM Civics, USDM Insight and USDM CR-V. It belongs in there, it just isn't listed for the USDM Civics.

It works well. I know leaves won't be blowing through my vents anytime soon.

And the airflow is actually better since I cleaned it out.</TD></TR></TABLE>
Old 09-30-2007, 10:14 PM
H-T White Ops

I cleaned the leaves out and was so eager to see if the airflow had changed that I just turned the air back on after replacing the cover (this was before I put in the filter). I took a few pieces of leaves to the eyes because of that.

Oh, and when you first install it you might smell a "filter smell" when the air is running for the first day or so.
Old 09-30-2007, 11:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (NOFX)

bookmarked for the to-do list. where did you get the materials? honda?
nice job nofx
Old 09-30-2007, 11:47 PM
H-T White Ops

Default Re: (EM1SON)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EM1SON &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">bookmarked for the to-do list. where did you get the materials? honda?
nice job nofx </TD></TR></TABLE>
I listed the parts at the beginning and even included part numbers. I got the frame from Honda. You can pick up the filter from Honda or any autoparts store. The frame will probably have to be ordered, but some parts stores might keep the filter in stock since cabin air filter stock usually isn't that large.
Old 10-01-2007, 05:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

OR! lift up your windshield wipers, pop the hood. pop the debris and drain cover at the bottom of your windshield up, and wala! pull the cabin air filter out!
Old 10-01-2007, 10:17 AM
H-T White Ops

Default Re: How To: Cabin Air Filter For 6th Gen with A/C (jdm91CrxSi)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by jdm91CrxSi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">OR! lift up your windshield wipers, pop the hood. pop the debris and drain cover at the bottom of your windshield up, and wala! pull the cabin air filter out!</TD></TR></TABLE>
No, that won't work. Trust me. There's a big piece of METAL body between the cabin air filter and you if you do that.

Not to mention that the cabin air filter does not pull up and out, it pulls in towards the passenger in the car.

Did you even look at the photos? The cabin air filter is right underneath the passenger air bag in 6th gens.
Old 10-01-2007, 10:41 AM

Sucks if you dont have AC. Great write up though
Old 10-01-2007, 10:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I wish my girlfriend would clean out my leaves and stuff, I'm gonna give your her numer haha j/k. I try to teach her as much as possible, even got her to help install my LCAs not long ago. Another well written write-up

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How To: Cabin Air Filter For 1998 - 2000 Civic