Notices
Paint and Body Auto Body Repair, Painting and Prep

How to Remove Paint from Rubber?

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2007, 02:08 AM
H-T White Ops

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Default How to Remove Paint from Rubber?

I'm looking to remove some automotive paint from some rubber trim on a lip I have. The rubber is similar in finish to the rubber seal that goes along the bottom of a moonroof visor.

Does anyone know how I might be able to remove this paint on the rubber trim without damaging the rubber?

*SCROLL DOWN FOR PICS.*

Modified by NOFX at 5:40 PM 9/20/2007
Old 09-20-2007, 02:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

2 ways: if it's flexible rubber you could try to bend it enough to break the paint off, or if it's black just trim black over it.
Old 09-20-2007, 04:16 PM
H-T White Ops

Default Re: (Pockets)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Pockets &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">2 ways: if it's flexible rubber you could try to bend it enough to break the paint off, or if it's black just trim black over it.</TD></TR></TABLE>
It is a part of the lip and cannot move enough to make it crack off of the rubber.

And perhaps you misunderstood. I do not want to paint over it. I want it in it's stock finish, without paint on it.

This is on a '98 OEM coupe rear lip.
Old 09-20-2007, 04:20 PM
EPIC TUNING

Default Re: (NOFX)

you can try paint thinner I guess. is it fully painted or it it overspray?

acetone wont really "damage" it or discolor it either.

edit: I reread it and saw its just the trim on the lip. id either remove the lip and wipe the trim down with acetone, or tape the lip off. removing it to do it woul dbe best.

worst comes to worst you can do what you gotta do to get it off, then paint the trim black.
Old 09-20-2007, 04:39 PM
H-T White Ops

Default Re: (E-Rok)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by E-Rok &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">you can try paint thinner I guess. is it fully painted or it it overspray?

acetone wont really "damage" it or discolor it either.

edit: I reread it and saw its just the trim on the lip. id either remove the lip and wipe the trim down with acetone, or tape the lip off. removing it to do it woul dbe best.

worst comes to worst you can do what you gotta do to get it off, then paint the trim black.</TD></TR></TABLE>
I don't mind if it damaged the current paint on the lip. It's getting ready to go in to be repainted.

It's not overspray. It's completely painted. A previous over didn't treat this lip very well.

I want to try to remove the paint on the trim and tape it off so the lip can be repainted.

Here's how the rear lip looks. The trim is at the top, but has been painted over.

This is how it should look stock.

Here is a photo of the back to give you an idea. This rubber cannot easily be peeled off or bent unless I want to damage it.

Old 09-20-2007, 04:50 PM
EPIC TUNING

hmm have you looked into buying new rubber trim?

it cant be but a $30 item, and then the lip will be off the car for painting
Old 09-20-2007, 07:22 PM
H-T White Ops

Default Re: (E-Rok)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by E-Rok &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">hmm have you looked into buying new rubber trim?

it cant be but a $30 item, and then the lip will be off the car for painting</TD></TR></TABLE>
It's a rare lip. I can't figure out where I could ever find OEM trim and I'm not willing to mess it up in an experiment.

The rubber would have to be cut off to replace it and then there is a good chance that it'd be very difficult to remove the remnants so that I could put new rubber on.

I am incredibly particular and it would bother me even just not being OEM. I would rather just get another rear lip than cut this trim off. The brackets have already been broken off by a previous owner. I'm looking to restore this lip. It's bad enough that I have to get non-OEM brackets since they're sold as part of the lip (another owner CUT / DRILLED them off).

This is the piece that rests on the top of the lip where it will rest against the rear bumper. If I put other trim on there's a good chance it will not fit correctly and might flare out. Too much trouble. I'd rather try to remove the paint.
Old 09-20-2007, 07:32 PM
Ek Forever y0!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I would try reading the cans of various paint strippers. I'm sure a very select few are safe for rubber.

It will take it longer to eat the rubber.

I think you'll be fine, just get the paint and the stripper off before it eats very far into the rubber.
Old 09-20-2007, 07:37 PM
H-T White Ops

Default Re: (ek forever guy)

I'm just really worried that I'll damage the rubber. I might call up a paint shop tomorrow and see what they recommend. Keep meaning to do that, but been busy or sleeping.

If I figure it out, I'll be sure to post.