Notices

89 civic no spark after a tune up

Old 08-01-2007, 04:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 89 civic no spark after a tune up

I've got a 1989 civic hatch back with the 1.5 liter, My son decided to do a tune up on this while I was at work, I got home and he was throwing everything around the yard, car will not start. I checked his work and he had the plugs wire cap and rotor all on , I decided to put all the original stuff back in place. still no spark at the plugs, I pulled the cap off and placed a screw driver into the coil end and used my hand on the fender as a ground, WOW very good spark. put it all back together agian and still crank no spark. I am a mechanic, and have been for 25 years, I am just not a honda tech, any advice will be greatly appriciated.
Old 08-01-2007, 07:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: 89 civic no spark after a tune up (sirwokalot)

Check the back of the cap there is a piece that sticks out that touches the coil. I have seen people push the cap on at an angle and it gets broken off. Aslo check that the rotor is attached properly and facing the right direction, On my old distributor honda decided to drill the hole all the way thru the shaft the rotor sits on as well as thread it all the way through as well so it was possible to put it on 180 degrees off. Did you take the plugs out? if they are new I have seen some come out of the box with the ground strap touching the electrode with no gap. It could be the wires but doubtful. Also look inside where you put the screwdriver(the coil). if it looks burnt in there the cap might not be contacting the coil, and thus no spark. If its looks burnt just get a new coil. Get one from honda its like $70. The aftermarket ones seem to be junk.

good luck, post back and tell us what your problem was if you figure it out.
Old 08-02-2007, 02:18 AM

I think it may be the contact between the cap and rotor, Looks like my son broke the new contact pin that came with the new cap, I didn't see how this came apart so I'm not sure how it's suppose to be. I used the old pin that has a spring with it but not sure how its installed(spring in the cap end or spring in the coil end), I am going to bring home my spark tester tonight to make sure I am getting a constance spark while cranking, Testing with my hand only allows me to feel one hit. so I don't know if I loose spark after the coil dicharges the first shot.Could he have damaged the coil when he broke the new cap pin? and if so what would have done that way I have another thing to look at. Thanks.
Old 08-02-2007, 03:06 PM

OK I put a spark teater to this coil and there is a puksing spark but it looks kine of weak to me, A new cap a rotor and still no spark at the plugs,I placed my volt ohm meter across the + and - terminals of the coil and I get an infinite reading-o.oo from the + terminal to the coil out put terminal and I get I high redaing of resistance which I should have. My question from here is Am I testing this coil primary correctly and I am not sure what setting the ohm meter should be on. A little more help here and I will go and purchase a new coil, I just hate throwing parts at a car untill I finally get it like so many other mechanics out there. fortunatly this is a auto cross car and we dont need it for a few more weeks. Thanks again to whom ever may answer my questions.
Old 08-02-2007, 03:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

The cap should have two contacts one for the coil and one for the rotor. The spring goes in the cap just like the one for the rotor.

So you have spark from the coil the spark is not making it thru. Which points to these contacts.

Also check your firing order too.

I am trying to not sound stupid just want you to double check. Is there any way that a piece got into the dizzy. There is a sensor in the bottom of the dizzy that might have been bent, chipped, etc...
Old 08-02-2007, 05:03 PM

Ok you may have just answer the question, There is only the one contact and its in the cap. There is not one in the coil end. This makes so much sense. I don't know what it would have looked like since I'm sure my son lost it . To make sure , the one in the cap sticks out of is by about 1/2 inch with the spring at the base of it closest to the cap- and inside the coil there isn't anything at all.any idea were I could pick up just that contact for the coil? Dennis
Old 08-04-2007, 06:47 AM

OK my last post to this tread- After doing some home work on this 89, I found out there is the only one contact point between the coil and the cap. After all this crap it turned out to be the coil after all. I guess just a coincidence,If this happens to you inspect the inside of the coil to see if it's burnt(blackened) try to clean it and if it still doesn't fire replace the coil. Thanks to all who helped with this issue. GO HONDA
Old 08-04-2007, 06:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

That aluminum piece came with the new cap, I am glad to help.