Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

stripped oil drain plug

Old 07-13-2007, 07:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default stripped oil drain plug

just picked up a 96 civic and the oil drain plug is stripped...constantly leaking oil

just wondering if there's any fixes to buying a new pan...I know you can't re-thread it cause the metal on the pan's too thin...wondering if there's a quick oil release thing I can put on...maybe use jbweld or something for the holder, and just use the plug

if anyone has any ideas, let me know
Old 07-13-2007, 07:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

y not just buy a new oil pan
Old 07-13-2007, 07:36 PM

New oil pan FTW. Less problems down the road
Old 07-13-2007, 07:38 PM

Default Re: stripped oil drain plug (Leb_CRX)

Mine's doing the same thing. If I were going to keep the car, I probably would just buy a new pan since it is so easy to replace. But, since I am just going to sell it, I will probably just use gasket maker or something simple since I already have one of the quick-drain adaptors for it. Works just as well and I don't have to spend another $100 or whatever a new pan is.

-Shane
Old 07-13-2007, 07:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

For now jb weld it in place if you must, but get on buying a new pan right away.
Old 07-13-2007, 07:51 PM

Default Re: (97Ej6mike)

I just dont want to spend the money on the oil pan, and it's a messy job...and the car's a beater

I've found this:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors...wItem

what I might do is end up putting that on, and putting jbweld around it to be safe...so when I drain the oil, all I need to do is plug in the adapter, and bam

anyone got any heads up before I do this? bad idea?...should I just man up the coin and replace the pan?
Old 07-13-2007, 07:52 PM
Global Moderator

Received 419 Likes on 389 Posts
Default Re: (Leb_CRX)

Try an oversize drain plug. Kragen, Autozone, etc., and even some dealers sell them for a couple of bucks.
Old 07-13-2007, 08:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (tech8)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by tech8 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Try an oversize drain plug. Kragen, Autozone, etc., and even some dealers sell them for a couple of bucks.</TD></TR></TABLE>

But that would only be good for a limited number of uses, eventually it would just strip it out even more. Just spend the money on a new pan.
Old 07-13-2007, 08:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Heat it up and use a slightly larger tap and re-thread the hole, then use a bolt of that size?
Old 07-13-2007, 08:59 PM
Global Moderator

Received 419 Likes on 389 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 97Ej6mike &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

But that would only be good for a limited number of uses, eventually it would just strip it out even more. Just spend the money on a new pan.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Not necessarily. Oversized drain plugs are self-tapping, and made just for this type of situation. There are many cars on the road, not just Hondas, that use this as a solution without further problems.
Old 07-14-2007, 02:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: (tech8)

mine has this problem also,too many quickee mart oil changes by previous owner.try a new oil plug first,the new threads on the plug may be just enough to fix it.i buy a new oil plug for a couple of bucks every other oil change.little bit of red thread locker on the plug threads helps too.
Old 07-14-2007, 03:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (redcoats1976)

had this problem once with a car.. what i did was buy one of theses at a autozone near my house..

what it is basicly is a nut slightly larger then the one u have.. i screwed it in with a something like a silicon to seal it in.. and to change oil there is a smaller screw in the nut u open the let the oil out.. of course it would take longer for oil changes but a quick fix if your too lazy to change the pan..

this site
http://www.burdickenterprisesi...o.htm

sells a oil changing valve for the truly lazy person in all of us.

Old 07-14-2007, 05:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

At the dealer we have an insert that we thread into the striped hole..and the kit comes with a slightly smaller drain plug...
Old 07-14-2007, 08:48 PM

Default Re: (john666)

what kind of silicon did you use?

i placed bid on the ebay item..quite simular to what you have

I can go with an oversized, but to be honest I am not sure what to buy...I went to a local shop and they looked at me like I was crazy and said I need to replace the pan...which is exactly what I'm trying to avoid

thanks for the help guys
Old 07-14-2007, 08:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Somebody recently told me about it - use it when u snap heads off - it's a stripped bolt remover. basically you just drill a small pilot hole with a tiny bit (doesn't have to go all the way through) - then u spin this thing into it (and it's reverse thread) so as you screw it in and it tightens into the bolt it loosens in - so you just keep tightening it in and it eventually catches and starts to unspin the bolt. That's probably your best bet, though I'd drop the pan to drill it easier.

When I made my last post I didn't even think of the fact that the bolt was still in there .

Old 07-14-2007, 09:00 PM

Default Re: (Syndacate)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Syndacate &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">When I made my last post I didn't even think of the fact that the bolt was still in there .</TD></TR></TABLE>

But the head didn't break off. Somehow the bolt got cross-threaded and now won't tighten enough to keep oil from leaking. He can screw the drain plug in, but it will just keep spinning and never fully tighten.

-Shane
Old 07-14-2007, 09:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Something like this:

I can't find a picture of the reverse pick deal right now, but that works too.

What about a pair of vice grips? I'm REALLY surprised that didn't do the trick as the bolt's really big and it's not like the head broke off.
Old 07-14-2007, 09:04 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Syndacate &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">What about a pair of vice grips? I'm REALLY surprised that didn't do the trick as the bolt's really big and it's not like the head broke off.</TD></TR></TABLE>

The head's not stripped, the bolt itself is. Hence the constantly leaking oil

-Shane
Old 07-14-2007, 09:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (nighttrain33)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by nighttrain33 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

But the head didn't break off. Somehow the bolt got cross-threaded and now won't tighten enough to keep oil from leaking. He can screw the drain plug in, but it will just keep spinning and never fully tighten.

-Shane</TD></TR></TABLE>

Does it unscrew?

If so, pull and tap is ur only bet .

If not - drill is basically ur only bet, I'd drop the pan to make it easier, either way. Empty the oil out, heat up the pan, and tap it, should work.

EDIT:
Note the "REMOVE" your oil pan...don't heat it while it's on there w/ oil in it .
Old 07-14-2007, 09:11 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Syndacate &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Does it unscrew?

If so, pull and tap is ur only bet .

If not - drill is basically ur only bet, I'd drop the pan to make it easier, either way. Empty the oil out, heat up the pan, and tap it, should work.

EDIT:
Note the "REMOVE" your oil pan...don't heat it while it's on there w/ oil in it .</TD></TR></TABLE>

It's not my car, nor my thread, but from what I have gathered, the OP is having the same problem I am. The drain plug got cross-threaded. So I can take it out, put it back in (you guys are dirty), but when I screw it back on, it will never go on tight enough and will constantly leak oil. Again, that's my problem, and only the OP can say that this is what he is going through, but that's what it sounded like to me.

-Shane
Old 07-14-2007, 09:39 PM
* B A N N E D *

oversized plug is a good solution for a temporary fix...
Old 07-14-2007, 10:54 PM
GDD's Dr. Phil?

Default Re: (akunamatta)

weld that bitch shut and get the pump that sucks the oil out through the dipstick tube for $30. Better way to to it in the first place anyway!
Old 07-14-2007, 10:56 PM

Default Re: (oneludesol)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by oneludesol &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">weld that bitch shut and get the pump that sucks the oil out through the dipstick tube for $30. Better way to to it in the first place anyway!</TD></TR></TABLE>

Well I was kinda thinking along the same lines. Weld it and just keep my quick-drain fitting for it.

-Shane
Old 07-15-2007, 02:49 PM

Default Re: (oneludesol)

what are they called? the things that suck oil through the dipstick

I've heard of them, and I know VW's use them...but for the life of me can't find a link online to buy it...and no one locally has a clue
Old 07-15-2007, 05:19 PM
GDD's Dr. Phil?

Default Re: (Leb_CRX)

http://www.skymall.com/shopping/search.htm

Lol I saw it in a skymall catalog on a flight about a year ago, I bought one somewhere else for cheaper, but here it is!! (just search oil extractor)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: stripped oil drain plug