Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Best additive for oil burning?

Old 07-05-2007, 10:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Best additive for oil burning?

i got a d15b8, smokes from burning oil, im just looking for a good additive that will stop the burning and the smoke
Old 07-05-2007, 10:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Best additive for oil burning? (standbackimapro)

Is there really an additive that can do this? Your burning oil because of a piston ring and im not sure that theres an additive that fix a bad piston ring.
Old 07-05-2007, 10:39 AM
Darth ModerVader

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Try RESTORE. Just keep in mind that no additive is going to "fix" the problem, it will only help alleviate some of the symptoms.
Old 07-05-2007, 11:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Best additive for oil burning? (HCivicSi23)

Yea i know that the car is not burning oil for no reason, i know theres a problem, i just dont really want to repair this motor, just somthing to keep it going for a few months..

and BTW, Burning oil can also be caused by Worn Valve stem seals
Old 07-05-2007, 11:14 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by standbackimapro &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Yea i know that the car is not burning oil for no reason, i know theres a problem, i just dont really want to repair this motor, just somthing to keep it going for a few months..

and BTW, Burning oil can also be caused by Worn Valve stem seals</TD></TR></TABLE>

Right, but most likely its a piston ring. I guess the restore idea could work... but I think youll still burn some amount of oil. Just fix the motor
Old 07-05-2007, 11:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Best additive for oil burning? (HCivicSi23)

lets see $8 for a can of restore in an engine that he doesn't want to rebuild to help with reducing oil burn. Sounds like a good idea. Or he could dump over a grand into rebuilding a motor. Id go with the $8 save your money and get the engine you want. I can tell you from experience that restore does a nice job of reducing oil burn. Just for fun used it in a 4 stroke lawn mower engine. It stopped all noticeable oil burn
Old 07-05-2007, 12:28 PM
* B A N N E D *

Default Re: Best additive for oil burning? (Padawan)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Padawan &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Try RESTORE. Just keep in mind that no additive is going to "fix" the problem, it will only help alleviate some of the symptoms. </TD></TR></TABLE>

is this what your talking about? what are the directions or how do u use it

Old 07-05-2007, 12:42 PM
Darth ModerVader

Default Re: Best additive for oil burning? (akunamatta)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by akunamatta &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

is this what your talking about? what are the directions or how do u use it</TD></TR></TABLE>

That's it.

Directions are on the can, but basically, you just add it to the crankcase.
Old 07-05-2007, 12:51 PM
* B A N N E D *

should you substitute one can for a quart of oil when i change my oil next?

and should i leave this in for the full 3000 mile interval?...
Old 07-05-2007, 12:59 PM
Darth ModerVader

Default Re: (akunamatta)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by akunamatta &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">should you substitute one can for a quart of oil when i change my oil next?

and should i leave this in for the full 3000 mile interval?... </TD></TR></TABLE>

As I said, the can will tell you everything you need to know. It's 11 oz (about 1/3 of a quart), so it will not replace an entire quart of oil, and you can generally add it without overfilling the crankcase. Basically, just substitute the can of RESTORE for 1/3 quart of your usual oil at the next oil change.

As for leaving it in, you treat it just like the rest of your oil.
Old 07-05-2007, 01:04 PM
* B A N N E D *

k thanks padawan im just making sure because the directions never seem to be clear.... im going to give it a try and see if it helps.
Old 07-05-2007, 01:08 PM
Darth ModerVader

What are the symptoms you're trying to alleviate?
Old 07-05-2007, 01:13 PM
* B A N N E D *

im burning oil when i rev past 4000 rpm's.... not much but i can see a light cloud behind me.

the reason why this started was because i ran some seafoam through my IM..... i will never reccomend using that on a higher mileage engine because im assuming it decomposed the carbon that has been acting like a seal on my 185k mile engine.
Old 07-05-2007, 03:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Restore ??? Never heard of that before. Sounds good from what's being said about it.
Old 07-05-2007, 03:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

You can also try Castrol for higher mileage engines.
Sorry to hear the bad thing about Seafoam. I used it in my D16 with 200K and no problems. But yeah you do take a chance. I have heard some good results from the restorer too.
Old 07-05-2007, 04:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (thesmogman)

i dont trust any of that **** personally. if i were you , id switch like was said to high mileage oil , and up the grade to 10W30 instead of 5. stay away from that stupid *** seafoam ****. anything you put in your engine besides oil is most likely no good. if you changed your oil when you should , you shouldnt need such things.
Old 07-05-2007, 04:39 PM

restore dont work at all i use it before. try to use some thicker oil like 15-40w or 20-50w they will slow down the oil burning alot. good luck but eventually u will need a rebuild
Old 07-05-2007, 06:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (blackKready)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by blackKready &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">if i were you , id switch like was said to high mileage oil , and up the grade to 10W30 instead of 5. stay away from that stupid *** seafoam ****. anything you put in your engine besides oil is most likely no good. if you changed your oil when you should , you shouldnt need such things.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Please do some research on oil before you post things like this. 10w 30 is no different then 5w 30 in the summer.
Old 07-05-2007, 07:23 PM

Default Re: (instructor74)

Whats the point? Just take the block apart and replace the piston rings and valve seals. You will always burn some amount of oil, so just leave it if you don't want to rebuild it.
Old 07-05-2007, 07:33 PM

Default Re: (HCivicSi23)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by HCivicSi23 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Whats the point? Just take the block apart and replace the piston rings and valve seals. You will always burn some amount of oil, so just leave it if you don't want to rebuild it. </TD></TR></TABLE>

he said

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by standbackimapro &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Yea i know that the car is not burning oil for no reason, i know theres a problem, i just dont really want to repair this motor, just somthing to keep it going for a few months..

and BTW, Burning oil can also be caused by Worn Valve stem seals</TD></TR></TABLE>

he said hes only keeping the motor for a short time so putting the money into a rebuild is pointless for his situation compared to a quickfix... unless he was reselling the motor after he did swapor whatnot

HCIVICSI23 your right man i miss read what you said and we basically said 6 one way half dozen the other ... if he wanted to do anything jsut quickfix it... or just buck up and deal with it til he gets rid of it... sorry for the mixup

Modified by B16CarSeat at 9:15 PM 7/5/2007
Old 07-05-2007, 07:36 PM

Default Re: (B16CarSeat)

And what I am saying, is if hes ditching the motor... theres no point in doing anything. No matter what you do, you will be burning some amount of oil, so why try to fix it? Just let it alone.
Old 07-06-2007, 10:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Can anyone vouch for this?

Rislone Ring Seal reduces oil burning and exhaust smoke by increasing the viscosity of motor oil. Quiets noisy engines by increasing oil thickness and providing a cushion between worn parts. Contains high shear polymers which provide a seal for worn pistons and rings to help regain lost compression. For use in all internal combustion engines. May be used with all petroleum based motor oils.

Old 07-06-2007, 10:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Name:  rodi_1955_95884454.jpg
Views: 4348
Size:  5.5 KB
Old 07-06-2007, 08:30 PM
* B A N N E D *

i can vouch for RESTORE... just added it 50 miles ago and now, i can bounce it off the rev-limiter (6200 rpm's) and NO SMOKE. thanks padawan
Old 07-06-2007, 11:33 PM

dont even waste your money. I had the same problem, and I tried everything. Additives dont work, you'll just burn that too and you would just be wasting your money. dont let the oil get too low or you'll break the cam in half like I did. just swap it out because that motor is junk anyway.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Best additive for oil burning?