Notices
Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

Axle shaft stuck in wheel hub trying to replace front rotors

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2007, 12:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Axle shaft stuck in wheel hub trying to replace front rotors

1996 Accord... I am trying to replace the front rotors on a 1996 Accord . The passenger side came apart no problem, but the axle is stuck inside the wheel hub on the driverside.The splines appear rusted up.. I have a puller on it trying to push the shaft toward the tranny, have soaked it with pb blaster, hit the top of the puller with a sledge hammer, etc ...it won't budge. The outer axle splines are stuck inside the wheel bearing hub. Very frustrated...any suggestions would be greately appreciated.
Old 05-04-2007, 01:15 PM

Default Re: Axle shaft stuck in wheel hub trying to replace front rotors (Fastshivy)

sh[t, i am going to do axles on my 95' cord next week... i'm afraid i'll face the same problem bro. 12 years of snow and salt are not gonna do any good...
Old 05-04-2007, 01:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Axle shaft stuck in wheel hub trying to replace front rotors (Fastshivy)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Fastshivy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">1996 Accord... I am trying to replace the front rotors on a 1996 Accord . The passenger side came apart no problem, but the axle is stuck inside the wheel hub on the driverside.The splines appear rusted up.. I have a puller on it trying to push the shaft toward the tranny, have soaked it with pb blaster, hit the top of the puller with a sledge hammer, etc ...it won't budge. The outer axle splines are stuck inside the wheel bearing hub. Very frustrated...any suggestions would be greately appreciated. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Soak it over night in the PB blaster, spray the front and back as much as you can. If that doesnt work then you need to heat it up with a torch, i like to use a propane torch becaust it wont get it hot enough to damage the wheel bearing, but at this point if you cant get it out your going to need a new bearing and hub anyhow. If you use a propane torch let it sit on there for a good amount of time and then (with the axle nut scred on but not all the way down) hit the end of the axle with BFH. if that doesnt work then i dunno what to tell ya. the nut on the axle keeps the threds from mushrooming and then the axles is wasted after that unless you have a pretty large die to go over the threds and even then its iffy
Old 05-04-2007, 02:02 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Axle shaft stuck in wheel hub trying to replace front rotors (Turbo-LS)

Try disconnecting the lower control arm and then propping the knuckle up at an angle to let the PB soak down easier. Trying to penetrate it with the spline relatively parallel to the ground won't help much.

Another thing I did that may help was drive my car around for awhile (in the city, with accel+braking well mixed) so everything around the brakes and hub was hot, then I stuck ice cubes up against the end of the axle spline. This might help contract enough metal to break it loose, who knows. Maybe I just got my tire wet for no reason
Old 05-04-2007, 02:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The puller is lame. It didn't do me any good at all. Take out the whole steering knuckle and support it on a jack. and turn it so the CV telescopes out. Then start beating the crap out of it. It took a few good hits. It'll get out.
Old 05-04-2007, 08:48 PM

Default Re: (The-Kid)

your axle is probably seized into your hub ive seen this happen a lot...go rent a 3 jaw gear puller at autzone or advance auto parts or wherever you can find to rent tools...find a good place to put the three jaws and put the little shaft that goes through the middle on the middle of the axle..tighten the **** out of it and it should pop loose

EDIT: have you popped the joint out of the tranny yet..because if not that could be one of your problems...try disconnecthing the lower control arm from the lower ball joint so you can move the hub assembly more and then try that is if you havent already done this
Old 05-05-2007, 03:47 AM

Thanks guys...I have tried all of the above. I finally pulled the steering knuckle, rotor and entire axle assembly all in one big unit. Put it on a 30ton press and heated it with a torch....Still stuck!!!!!!!! Now I will have to desroy the axle and try to salvage the rest of it.
Old 05-05-2007, 06:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: (Fastshivy)

NO WAY! a 30 ton press wont do it??? You did try to remove the axle from the wheelbearing/hub assembly???
Old 05-05-2007, 07:00 AM

Default Re: (The-Kid)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by The-Kid &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">NO WAY! a 30 ton press wont do it??? You did try to remove the axle from the wheelbearing/hub assembly???</TD></TR></TABLE>

thats what hes beeing saying this whole time lol...hes trying to remove it from the hub assembly...ok well try this maybe...try removing the boot on the joint that goes into the hub...then you will be able to move it around better and lay it in different spots..just try everything in your mind if a 30 ton press didnt get it out i dont know what will but you can always try stuff again...my friends eclipse did this on both sides and they were stuck for like 2 months and we tried everything then all the sudden he came over one day to do them and one of them pressed out with our thumb and the other one came out with a hammer...so its all about breaking all that rust loose...give it all you go man..try the three gear jaw puller again and put a impact wrench on it..that usually works...do you have an impact wrench to use?
Old 05-05-2007, 12:05 PM

Default Re: (lowered94accord)

Well i found a hub, steering knuckle combo used for $60$ plus $26 for shipping. I will just put a reman shaft in .. boots aren't great anyway. I have never seen one stuck like this!! I am still going to keep trying as I can use the axle for a core. Broke the caliper mounting flanges on the steering knuckle....it was like just go for it ..if it breaks...get new parts. Thanks again!