Notices

1991 Civic DX Fuel Pump/Relay problems

Old 04-22-2007, 09:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts
Default 1991 Civic DX Fuel Pump/Relay problems

I hate the first Post has to be a ? but I'm lost on this one. I don't like asking for help with HONDA problems (I usually just try to fix it or just skim honda-tech for some answers. But i have a 1991 Civic DX, it had a dual cam ZC engine in it before i bought it (so somebody converted it to MultiPoint) Then before the guy sold it the D15b2 went back in.(the engine wiring harness was replaced with a dual point unmodified) Car was fine for almost a year with dual point. Then few days ago went to start it and it started up and idled for about 5 seconds then stalled. I tested the fuel pressure at the filter (the line running from the filter to the fuel rail)Fuel pressure was fluctuating from 0-10psi. So i replaced the fuel pump with a USED fuel pump from a 1991 Crx Si (Crx sit for 6 months but was fine when parked)After i replaced the fuel pump went to start it and nothing happen (check engine light came on normally in auxiliary, but there was no "click" from Main Relay nor a "buzz" from the fuel pump and the check engine light stayed on. But before i replaced the pump with the used one the Main Relay would "click" then the check engine light would go off but the Fuel pump wouldn't prime (no buzz)..Ive double checked the fuses in the underdash fuse box also the ground on the thermostat(read that somewhere)..I only found One hot wire in the wiring for the pump(wiring under the rear seat) it was a yel/wht wire..it was 6.5v..Cant find any info on the wiring voltages for the Pump.....But in my opinion there is a problem between the connector under the rear seat and the Fuel pump itself...sorry for the long post but just wanted to give detailed info on whats goin on..instead of being asked 76376378 questions...Anyone have an idea??(note: Forgot to mention i tried 2 USED Main Relays..(1 came from the Crx Si that was runnning when parked)...
Old 04-22-2007, 09:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 1991 Civic DX Fuel Pump/Relay problems (AllMtrRex)

No one has any ideas??? I think i typed to much and people just see alot of words and press back in their browser..heh
Old 04-23-2007, 07:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Tried a couple more things today..still nothing....someone got some info on this???..would be nice
Old 04-23-2007, 08:37 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

so your pump does not prime at all now? 0psi fuel pressure?

i thought power was fed to the fuel pump via a black/yellow wire. if you're not getting voltage through that, you may have found your problem.

it sucks swapping used parts around, you never really know what's good anymore lol
Old 04-26-2007, 06:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 1991 Civic DX Fuel Pump/Relay problems (mahatma)

yeah..fuel pump not priming at all...0psi yes...check engine light doesn't even come on...then off like normal it just stays on..not sure about the black/yel wire powering the fuel pump...I need a helms manual...i have a haynes (crappy for 88-91)...gonna give it another try tomm. been busy all week...sorry for the late post
Old 04-26-2007, 06:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

try the relay it has a rz number on it it is called the main relay it is above the hood relese it is not the small relay it is pretty big all so kinda hard to get to.
Old 04-26-2007, 06:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (nihad)

yeah..i noted that i tried 3 relays...its rz 0063...tried 3 of the same relay and nothing..someone state if it could be this.....when i took the fuel pump out it had plastic housings over the positive and ground on the fuel pump housing.. when i tried to take them off one of the clips that hold them on broke..so i put them on and noticed that they weren't as tight as before...maybe gas is getting in the plastic housings...i would kinda hope not..sounds like there would be a boom if positive or ground were to arc in a gas filled tank???maybe not
Old 04-27-2007, 03:35 AM

no it wouldnt cause flame no oxygen when under the gas and the plastic clips i doubt would have anything to do with it my walbro has nothing but a connector to the pemp itself and im pretty sure its not sealed.... anyway On ALLDATA there is a main relay HARNESS test that might be useful just to make sure the wires are good....

cvitullo
Old 04-27-2007, 07:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (charliev)

ok thanks for the info...will check ALLDATA out..starting again on it today..haven't been able to mess with it for a couple days..should have it fixed..
Old 04-29-2007, 07:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (AllMtrRex)

hey when you find out the problem let me know my buddy has the same problem with his crx its been sittin for like 3 months, we cant figure that **** out!
Old 05-01-2007, 09:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Jreycrx)

finally figured it out....when we replaced the fuel pump with the used (working fuel pump) the banjo nut on the fuel feed line was grounding out on the fuel pump's housings ground wire screw..if you plugged the fuel pump connector under the seat up...then turned the key on it would blow the underdash fuse #14 everytime...(we checked the fuses many times but it would only blow the fuse if the connector was plugged up so when we checked them all the connector was more than likely unplugged and the fuse was still ok)...so we dropped the tank flipped the fuel line 90 degrees (it wouldn't work any other way..dunno) then connected the fuel pump connector...turned the key and the main relay clicked and the fuel pump motor was buzzing...we jacked back up...took about to dry starts to prime the fuel system and it run fine....lot of trial and error..3 hours of being frustrated payed off...