Notices

Clutch Fluid, Transmission Fluid, and brake fluid; What kind do you use?

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2007, 02:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch Fluid, Transmission Fluid, and brake fluid; What kind do you use?

I just finished a engine swap and i need to buy all these to complete it, what kind of Oils do you use? (Trans, Clutch, and brake fluid) It was a straight stock swap, the car stores around my area they all don't really know that much. They say i can use 5W30 engine oil for my transmission, and i can use the brake fluid for the clutch. I highly doubt you can do that, and i don't want to take any chances.

So Basically i'm asking:

What type and brand do you all use?
Old 02-21-2007, 02:47 PM

Trans- Honda manual trans fluid. Clutch- DOT 3 brake fluid. Same for the brakes. No specific manufacturer for the brake fluid, but I like to run Honda fluids.
Old 02-21-2007, 04:26 PM

Default Re: (70hphf)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 70hphf &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Trans- Honda manual trans fluid. Clutch- DOT 3 brake fluid. Same for the brakes. No specific manufacturer for the brake fluid, but I like to run Honda fluids. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Do i gota go to the dealership for em? if so i'll most likely get the trans fluid from their, and the clutch/brake fluid from autozone.

thanks
Old 02-21-2007, 04:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (explictness)

you can get the clutch/brake fluid from dealer also but you can prob get reg DOT 3 from autozone cheaper get Honda MTF for the tranny or Pennzoil Syncromesh (gm syncro) either will work best
Old 02-21-2007, 04:48 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

but wait...what "stock" tranny are you using in a 91 crx which requires a "clutch" slave cylinder fluid? you should have a normal cable actuate clutch pressure plate which doesn't require hydraulic assistance, nor do any of our crx's come equipped with any slave cylinders.

Also, for your tranny fluid, this has been discussed, debated way too many times. But just to make it easier for you. Get either honda MTF from your dealer or any synchromesh tranny fluid such as GM Synchromesh, Pennzoil. There are plenty to choose from.
Old 02-21-2007, 04:58 PM

As far as I know, you can only get honda fluids from a honda/acura dealer.
Old 02-21-2007, 05:15 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Clutch Fluid, Transmission Fluid, and brake fluid; What kind do you use? (explictness)

My preferences:

Transmission: 10W40 motor oil, just like the owner's manual calls for.
Clutch: None, as my car has a cable clutch.
Brake: Castrol GT LMA, ATE Super Blue, ATE Typ 200. The blue stuff is nice because I can tell when my old fluid is completely flushed out by the color of what comes out the bleeders.

It sounds like you have a non-stock transmission; it might be a good idea to check the owner's manual for whatever car your trans came out of. Many Hondas are spec'ed to use motor oil in their transmissions.

--DD
Old 02-21-2007, 05:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

transmission: the lucas oil for trannys or gm synchromesh
clutch(hydro): cheap brake fluid
brake:cheap brake fluid
Old 02-21-2007, 08:37 PM

Default Re: Clutch Fluid, Transmission Fluid, and brake fluid; What kind do you use? (Dave_Darling)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">but wait...what "stock" tranny are you using in a 91 crx which requires a "clutch" slave cylinder fluid? you should have a normal cable actuate clutch pressure plate which doesn't require hydraulic assistance, nor do any of our crx's come equipped with any slave cylinders.
Also, for your tranny fluid, this has been discussed, debated way too many times. But just to make it easier for you. Get either honda MTF from your dealer or any synchromesh tranny fluid such as GM Synchromesh, Pennzoil. There are plenty to choose from. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Um, my car is all stock 1991 CRX DX. All i did was get a d15B swapped over.

i have no time or money to mess around with a b16 b18 swap i'm going to college in the fall.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Dave_Darling &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">My preferences:

Transmission: 10W40 motor oil, just like the owner's manual calls for.
Clutch: None, as my car has a cable clutch.
Brake: Castrol GT LMA, ATE Super Blue, ATE Typ 200. The blue stuff is nice because I can tell when my old fluid is completely flushed out by the color of what comes out the bleeders.

It sounds like you have a non-stock transmission; it might be a good idea to check the owner's manual for whatever car your trans came out of. Many Hondas are spec'ed to use motor oil in their transmissions.

--DD</TD></TR></TABLE>

The autozone in my area have nothing there, i think i'll go to wallmart to get the brake/clutch fluid, 3Dot i guess.For the MTF fluid i'll just go to a honda dealer that is close by and just buy it from their this time, then when i get enough time to read more and stuff then i'll swing over to the syntech stuff. i'm finding it hard to retain and remember any information about my crx because of my 240 and school. haha thanks alot for the info guys