Notices
Honda Civic (2006 - 2015) 2006 - 2015 Civic Forums

Advantage/Disadvantage of vented disc brakes??

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2007, 08:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advantage/Disadvantage of vented disc brakes??

I don't know much about them...I guess I would do it more so for the look of them...but of course I know that Honda's brakes are gonna be the best...but how much of a difference would I notice in like stopping power...or braking distance?? Recommend or NOT Recommend??
Old 01-30-2007, 08:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Advantage/Disadvantage of vented disc brakes?? (06 Habanero-NaVi)

You mean cross drilled or slotted? If so the brakes are able to get rid of heat more quickly, thus reducing the feeling of brake fade under heavy braking conditions.
Old 01-30-2007, 08:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Get slotted, especially on a street car. Drilled is usually cheaper, but can mess with the structural integrity of the rotor (since it basically is full of holes)

Also, in addition to getting rid of heat; the holes or slots allow for expanding gases released by the pad material to escape. Getting rid of the gases lets the pad make complete contact with the rotor without a "pillow" of air (so to speak) between them.

Upgrade is worth it, especially with quality pads (not autozone) and SS brake lines.

I like all of my pedals to be more responsive, not just the throttle

Modified by IT GUY at 1:08 PM 1/30/2007
Old 01-30-2007, 09:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Advantage/Disadvantage of vented disc brakes?? (IT GUY)

i feel that there is no point in it. just asking for a cracked rotor FTL . blanks are the way to go on the street
Old 01-30-2007, 09:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Advantage/Disadvantage of vented disc brakes?? (SYTFU Tommy.)

I say if you go road racing alot or track(curcuits) it's worth getting em.~!!!
Old 01-30-2007, 10:06 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 06 Habanero-NaVi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I don't know much about them...I guess I would do it more so for the look of them...but of course I know that Honda's brakes are gonna be the best...but how much of a difference would I notice in like stopping power...or braking distance?? Recommend or NOT Recommend??</TD></TR></TABLE>

Honda's brakes aren't the best, but it is very easy to buy something worse. Brembo is always a good choice, as are Centric. If you must go slotted, just do the front rotors; the rears are already kinda thin and the need to "scrub" the pads with slots is minimal. There will be no noticeable performance benefit 90% of the time, but they may help in wet weather or if you've started to glaze the pads.
Old 01-30-2007, 12:10 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by IT GUY &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Get slotted, especially on a street car. Drilled is usually cheaper, but can mess with the structural integrity of the rotor (since it basically is full of holes)

Also, in addition to getting rid of heat; the holes or slots allow for expanding gases released by the pad material to escape. Getting rid of the gases lets the pad make complete contact with the rotor without a "pillow" of air (so to speak) between them.

Upgrade is worth it, especially with quality pads (not autozone) and SS brake lines.

I like all of my pedals to be more responsive, not just the throttle Modified by IT GUY at 1:08 PM 1/30/2007</TD></TR></TABLE>

Also, slotted rotors help keep dirt and grime off your pads. This helps your pads last longer and and give you better performance.
Old 01-30-2007, 12:34 PM

Default Re: Advantage/Disadvantage of vented disc brakes?? (Si 4 Life)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Si 4 Life &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Also, slotted rotors help keep dirt and grime off your pads. This helps your pads last longer and and give you better performance.</TD></TR></TABLE>

It doesn't help the pads last longer, but rather it wears them sooner as it scrubs the surface of the pad. It MAY help performance if you've glazed the surface or it is wet.
Old 01-30-2007, 04:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Blanks are the best except on the most extreme big brake and racing kits because they retain the most thermal mass to dissipate heat. If you want to improve cooling get rotors with directional vanes. Finally, if your pads are getting so hot that they are gassing you need to choose new pads or quit driving like a hooligan on the stock ones. Your fluid will also generally boil before your pads gas, especially if you are using the stock fluid.

Jon