Notices
Acura Integra All Integra Except ITR

How To: JDM ITR SRS Steering Wheel Install

Old 01-25-2007, 11:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How To: JDM ITR SRS Steering Wheel Install

First off here are the two pages from the Helms manual on removing the stock steering wheel. I have included in my write up the removal of the steering wheel to supplement the helms.

http://www.meilinkvision.com/i...1.jpg
http://www.meilinkvision.com/i...2.jpg

Park your car where you plan to work and position the steering wheel/wheels straight.

Remove the negative battery cable then the positive. Wait ten minutes before starting so that the airbag does not deploy in your face when you begin working.

Remove the access panel located below the steering wheel by removing the phillips head screw and then using a flathead to pop it off:

With the access panel opened, pull down on the plug for the srs wiring and the cable reel. Then disconnect them.

Locate the left side access panel and remove by prying with a flathead screwdriver to expose the torque bolt.

Locate the right side access panel (cruise control switch cover) and remove to expose another torque bolt. This cover can just be pulled off by hand.

Now with both torx bolts exposed remove each. Size you'll need is a t-30. For me this was a bitch to get off and I broke one of the torx wrenches.

With both bolts removed, the airbag should slide right off.

In the above picture, disconnect the horn (red wires, black clip at the top) and the cruise control wires (green to yellow clip on the right next to the cruise control buttons)

Remove the steering wheel nut in the center. It's a 19mm, but you'll also need a small extension to clear the steering wheel to loosen the nut. This nut was also a bit of a pain to get off. Just throw a pipe on the end of your socket wrench and it should come right off.

The wheel will now slide off. If you haven't already, now would be a good time to unscrew the two bolts on the rear of your JDM steering wheel to remove the airbag.

It's hard to see in the picture, but there's 2 black clips inside the brass part that needs to be clipped. There extremely easy to break so you can probably use some needlenose pliers to reach in and break them. If that doesn't work remove the two steering column covers to give you better access. Make sure you don't move the white part with the arrow too much. If you lose the center you'll have to refind it by going all the way to either the right or left then spinning it back around the opposite way about 2 and a half times.

Now with the black part clipped, you need to put the brass part back to 9 and 3 if it moved. Move the white srs ring to the right a bit so it lines up with the JDM wheel. Slide it in and play with it until it goes all the way down and sits flush. This may take a couple of tries. If you get it on and the steering wheel isn't straight, the brass part moved. So pull it back off, reposition the brass part and try again. Once its on put the nut back on and tighten it down.

Connect the horn wires. The horn shares a wire with the cruise control and by removing the cruise control buttons, there is an open circuit. To keep your horn from ever failing this circuit will need to be closed with a wire/jumper (info provided by canuck-mx6 in this thread: https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=508078). I didn't do this I just connected the two horn wires and the horn works. But it will probably fail after some time.

Pull the cable reel wire through the access panel on the jdm wheel. Put the airbag into place and tighten down the two bolts on the side. Connect the airbag wire and cable reel wire and put the access panel back into place.

Connect the battery. From the passenger seat put the car into the ON position and then look to make sure the SRS light goes off. I cannot stress enough the danger of doing this from the driver seat. Just in case you did something wrong, you do not want the airbag going off in your face.

Sit back and enjoy

Thanks to Comp97GSR for hooking me up with a great deal on the wheel and providing me with some helpful links and posts on how to install it.

A couple of notes:

Sorry for no pictures on the 2nd half. It started to snow and I wanted to get done quick.

Following these steps you will not get the SRS light and you will retain the signal cancellation.

This install is for 96+ integras. To make it compatible with 94 - 95, please follow the link in step 13.

Modified by BLacK FirE at 5:14 PM 1/25/2007

Modified by BLacK FirE at 5:44 PM 1/25/2007
Old 01-25-2007, 11:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: How To: JDM ITR SRS Steering Wheel Install (BLacK FirE)

neato
Old 01-25-2007, 12:42 PM

Default Re: How To: JDM ITR SRS Steering Wheel Install (GSRdude)

thats awsome keith. i wanna see that **** in person!!!
Old 01-25-2007, 12:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: How To: JDM ITR SRS Steering Wheel Install (gsr dood)

very useful info!
Old 01-25-2007, 01:02 PM
HT Black OPs

Default Re: How To: JDM ITR SRS Steering Wheel Install (brick top)

very nice write up.
Old 01-25-2007, 01:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: How To: JDM ITR SRS Steering Wheel Install (00IntegrAllmotoR)

Very nice writeup. May I add this is to apply to 98-01 integra's only. This will not work for the 94-95 OBD1 tegs because the plugs for the airbag are different.

Edit : My bad, changed the years it doesn't work on. Link in step 13 talks about a how-to for these cars but it involves "trial-and-error" method.

Modified by ThePro at 3:21 PM 1/25/2007
Old 01-25-2007, 01:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: How To: JDM ITR SRS Steering Wheel Install (ThePro)

Looks great! I like instruction 15, how to avoid eating airbag!
Old 01-25-2007, 01:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ThePro &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Very nice writeup. May I add this is to apply to 98-01 integra's only. This will not work for the 94-97 tegs because the plugs for the airbag are different.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Not true, I had it in a 97 GSR.

Good Job! Looks good!!! Glad to see you did it like a pro and even did a 'How To'.
Old 01-25-2007, 01:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ThePro &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Very nice writeup. May I add this is to apply to 98-01 integra's only. This will not work for the 94-97 tegs because the plugs for the airbag are different.</TD></TR></TABLE>

This install will work for all 96+ integras. The airbag plug is different on the 94 - 95 integras because they are OBDI, but it is possible to get it to work. The link I provided in step 13 also mentions how to make it work in a 94 - 95.

Thanks everybody, while all the info for this install is already on HT, it was seperated in different threads. I figured it would be good to have it all laid out in one easy to access thread
Old 01-25-2007, 02:44 PM

nice writeup keith
looks really good
Old 01-25-2007, 03:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Aside from appearance, is the JDM wheel a different size than the USDM wheel? I'd love to have a smaller diameter wheel, but am not willing to give up the airbag on a daily driver.
Old 01-25-2007, 04:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: How To: JDM ITR SRS Steering Wheel Install (TunerN00b)

I meant to compare them side by side, but forgot to. It is a bit smaller, from what I've read its around 10mm.
Old 01-25-2007, 04:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Nice write-up. What year is your teg? I heard the SRS plug won't connect to OBD1 tegs.
Old 01-25-2007, 07:07 PM

nice wheel
Old 01-25-2007, 07:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

looks good bro...good job on the write up
Old 01-25-2007, 07:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: How To: JDM ITR SRS Steering Wheel Install (BlueIntegraBoy)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by BlueIntegraBoy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Nice write-up. What year is your teg? I heard the SRS plug won't connect to OBD1 tegs.</TD></TR></TABLE>

At the end of the install I have the years its compatible with, 96+. In step 13 the link there also has about doing it in a 94 - 95, but as thepro pointed out its sorta trial and error because both wires are red, so theres no way to tell which is the positive and which is the negative.
Old 01-25-2007, 07:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

what about a multimeter?
Old 01-25-2007, 07:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

According to this post, that won't work either:

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by integra15 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

PS dont use a multimeter on the air bag, you could set it off.</TD></TR></TABLE>
Old 01-25-2007, 07:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

so if you get it wrong the first time, you can just swap the 2 red wires and try again...or no?
Old 01-25-2007, 07:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

it would set it off if you got it wrong ...?
Old 01-25-2007, 07:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I honestly have no idea. I'd suggest talking to the OP of that thread to see what he says.
Old 01-26-2007, 09:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I've heard that airbags are ground sensing, so if you get the two wires wrong, BOOM! There goes a $400 JDM Steering Wheel.

A multimeter would set it off because it is ground sensing and a multimeter is a ground. So there really isn't a way to figure it out unless you can get into a JDM ITR and check.
Old 01-26-2007, 09:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

maybe the op of the other thread would remember which wires he used, but I cant really do this ...I dont have the money for one ...there 300 or so
Old 01-27-2007, 12:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

do the non-srs wheels work on an srs sytem?? is there any way to delete the system to the wheel?
i bought a non-srs wheel and need to know if i can get it to work on my 97 (with srs airbag)
thanks
Old 01-27-2007, 03:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: How To: JDM ITR SRS Steering Wheel Install (97integraLS911)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 97integraLS911 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">do the non-srs wheels work on an srs sytem?? is there any way to delete the system to the wheel?
i bought a non-srs wheel and need to know if i can get it to work on my 97 (with srs airbag)
thanks</TD></TR></TABLE>

You remove the cable reel all together. To make the horn work, go to Honda and purchase a horn shoe from a 88-91 Civic/CRX.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How To: JDM ITR SRS Steering Wheel Install