Notices
Tech / Misc Tech topics that don't seem to go elsewhere.

I want a LS motor in my dune buggy

Old 01-23-2007, 04:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I want a LS motor in my dune buggy

I would like a LS motor in my dunebuggy(because I had an Integra before). I would like to pick your guys' brain on exactly what I would need and if this is the best engine for my application. I would like at least 130-140 hp minimum the less wiring I need to make it run, the better. I want a stock engine, minus intake and exhaust which will be very basic (only muffler and about a foot of pipe). The lighter and smaller the engine the better (it replaces a vw aircooled engine and weight is a factor for off-road). Availibility to inexpensive parts would be a plus because of it intended use (lots of high rpms). Is a 1.8LS motor the way to go, or is there something else out there that would do better? I know I will need a computer, radiator, and a bigger fuel pump. What sensors do I have to leave in, and can I use just a high pressure fuel pump or do I need a return line also.
Old 01-24-2007, 07:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: I want a LS motor in my dune buggy (strokedgto)

This is a little extreme, but here is my 2.2l b-series w/b16a head. Let me know how much your looking to spend and I can give you some help/hints/tips on what to look for. I have some spare blocks too that may be of interest to you.

Kyle

https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1006776
Old 01-24-2007, 10:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

You'l need a return line, thats how these fuel systems are designed, unless you re-do ofcourse.
Old 01-24-2007, 03:16 PM

get an adapter plate and use the vw bus trans, i'm building a turbo b20 vtec sandrail right now for a customer.
Old 01-25-2007, 02:19 PM

Default Re: I want a LS motor in my dune buggy (hondafiend)

Getting the hardware and drivetrain isn't really my question. I know about the adapters, My engine is 160hp now and the trans is made for this motor and will hold all the motor I want. I just don't want a carb or vw maintenance and honda motors kick *** and are lightwieght. My question is about wiring and what it will take to run. What components do I need. Is there a year or engine that is easier/better for my application.

Thanks for the replies so far.
Old 01-25-2007, 02:49 PM

you can run a standalone like DFI, thats what my customer has. just runs the necessary items. he's going with the b20 instead of the LS block for more displacement and they run really strong with a b16 vtec head , and turbo. nice setup.
Old 01-25-2007, 02:52 PM

yep u need a radiator, ebay has the 92-95 civic aluminum radiators CHEAP... that will be more than enough and also is small so you can mount it easily, and an electric slimfan will work great. just wire the fan to a switch, not too complicated.
Old 01-25-2007, 04:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Just curious , where can I find info on adapter plates ?
Old 01-25-2007, 09:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by strokedgto &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Getting the hardware and drivetrain isn't really my question. I know about the adapters, My engine is 160hp now and the trans is made for this motor and will hold all the motor I want. I just don't want a carb or vw maintenance and honda motors kick *** and are lightwieght. My question is about wiring and what it will take to run. What components do I need. Is there a year or engine that is easier/better for my application.

Thanks for the replies so far.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Almost all b-series, from all years have the same wiring harness. The main differences are knock sensor, and resister box. But ls motors never had knock sensors, just the vtec version. So as far as your choice for wiring there really is no better year, I would say run an obd1 ecu, or a full obd1 setup. So you dont have to worry about the resistor box.
Old 01-26-2007, 09:01 AM

Default Re: I want a LS motor in my dune buggy (93hatched_projekt)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 93hatched_projekt &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Just curious , where can I find info on adapter plates ?</TD></TR></TABLE>

you can get them here http://www.kennedyeng.com/
Old 02-01-2007, 10:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Heres an early pic of a d16z6 buggy that a buddy and I are building. Its all Honda parts and metal stock, with some piping. The front end is just a VW front rail end and we've rigged up a rack and pinion steering setup for it...it'll be nice. Basically, we've tried to make the smallest possible budget. After the rear suspension is fabricated, and the motor is mounted right, the rest can basically be purchased and "bolted on" from any buggy place (bugsandbuggies.com for instance). Haven't worked up fuel or brakes, but thats all that it lacks.
Old 02-05-2007, 08:14 PM

OMFGWTF your gonna end up killin ur self HAAH