Notices
All Motor / Naturally Aspirated No power adders

most horsepower ever made on naturally aspirated LS motor (fully built) ???

Old 01-10-2007, 08:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default most horsepower ever made on naturally aspirated LS motor (fully built) ???

any one have any numbers? preferably fully built dynos....im thinking of putting one together just to see how much hp i can squeeze out of it
Old 01-10-2007, 09:09 PM
ABK
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: most horsepower ever made on naturally aspirated LS motor (fully built) ??? (myke)

with what head? And how big of stroke and bore?
Old 01-10-2007, 09:21 PM

Default Re:

There was a guy in SD that had a 86x99 2.3L carb'd LS motor making 248 whp.
Old 01-10-2007, 10:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Re: (Hardt)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Hardt &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">There was a guy in SD that had a 86x99 2.3L carb'd LS motor making 248 whp.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Im assuming thats without a Vtec head? If that with a vtec head thats not that much.
Old 01-10-2007, 10:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ive made over 400 NA whp on an LS(1)
Old 01-11-2007, 06:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Location: Where the wild things are in, NY, United States of America
Default Re: (Combustion Contraption)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Combustion Contraption &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Ive made over 400 NA whp on an LS(1)</TD></TR></TABLE>

Hahaha I was waiting for someone to do that. WELL SUM-BITCH my LS2 makes 400 OUT THE BOX!!!!

Why build an LS non-vtec tho? seems like trying to squeeze juice from a rock.
Old 01-11-2007, 11:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (ComeOnKip)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ComeOnKip &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Why build an LS non-vtec tho? seems like trying to squeeze juice from a rock.</TD></TR></TABLE>

why not? Not everyone is going for 500+hp.
Last time I checked, most people just need in the 300s for a good daily driven pump gas turbo setup.
Old 01-11-2007, 01:26 PM

Default Re: (exospeedAMcrx)

ive seen a couple fully built ls motors and they were real nice, so i see no prob with a non vtec motor
Old 01-11-2007, 03:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by exospeedAMcrx &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">why not? Not everyone is going for 500+hp.
Last time I checked, most people just need in the 300s for a good daily driven pump gas turbo setup. </TD></TR></TABLE>

read the title. N/A. And I fully understand that building a street car and building a race car are two different beasts of burden, but for NA horsepower in either, it seems like a vtec head would be an obvious choice.

But theres still people strapping superchargers on their flatheads, so more power to him.
Old 01-11-2007, 03:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I've seen setups making 240s on FULLY built setups.

You can make 200hp on a basic streetable setup with LS.
Old 01-11-2007, 06:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

and more power to them. is that 200 wheel?
Old 01-11-2007, 06:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ComeOnKip &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">and more power to them. is that 200 wheel?</TD></TR></TABLE>
yes 200whp.
Old 01-11-2007, 06:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: most horsepower ever made on naturally aspirated LS motor (ABK)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ABK &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">with what head? And how big of stroke and bore?</TD></TR></TABLE>
thinking of going with 86 x 95...with an ls head of course...maybe squareport (thank God that my buddy is a well known head porter lol) hehe...my hp goal is 250-260 whp

Modified by myke at 8:10 PM 1/11/2007
Old 01-11-2007, 06:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by exospeedAMcrx &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I've seen setups making 240s on FULLY built setups.

You can make 200hp on a basic streetable setup with LS. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Threads/Dynos/Links?
Old 01-11-2007, 06:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Vtec is not what is generating these high horsepower numbers, it is merely providing a more broad power curve. Using a high lobe camshaft to expoloit volumetric effiecency is what makes power(along with a host of other things), these high lobe camshafts do not require Vtec.

Julian
Old 01-11-2007, 07:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (bambam)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by bambam &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Threads/Dynos/Links?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Forums/internet, pic hosting werent easily accessible back in the late 90s. I've just seen local setups here in SoCal make the power, but not PRAISED and advertised on forums like we do every single thing today.

There were a few well known LS All Motor setups that were talked about in the scene around that time and a couple were even in Magazines. maybe you can remember or recall one of them.. it was a red DC all motor LS, I think it was around 98-99 or so.
Old 01-11-2007, 07:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: most horsepower ever made on naturally aspirated LS motor (myke)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by myke &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
thinking of going with 86 x 95...with an ls head of course...maybe squareport (thank God that my buddy is a well known head porter lol) hehe...my hp goal is 250-260 whp </TD></TR></TABLE>

the easy part is the compression and bore. The part you have to plan around on this motor is the cam you are using.

We did an 81.5mm 14:1 LS setup a couple years ago. the class rules limited the bore size so we couldnt go bigger. it ran our Stage 4 LS cams which we matched the custom piston to. It was planned to be carburated and mated to a 2 speed transmission for Circle track. Initial dyno results were about 203whp. The car was put in a tube chassis Monte Carlo body. I lost track of the guy so I never knew what it made after he eventually got more jets for the carbs he was using.
Old 01-11-2007, 07:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by exospeedAMcrx &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Forums/internet, pic hosting werent easily accessible back in the late 90s. I've just seen local setups here in SoCal make the power, but not PRAISED and advertised on forums like we do every single thing today.

There were a few well known LS All Motor setups that were talked about in the scene around that time and a couple were even in Magazines. maybe you can remember or recall one of them.. it was a red DC all motor LS, I think it was around 98-99 or so.</TD></TR></TABLE>

DPR??
Old 01-11-2007, 07:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (SIXTY)

the red DC i believe is mike the kid from lucky racing.....my friend ported that head when he was working at DPR
Old 01-11-2007, 07:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ya that was the one in the magazines. there were a few more after that was done but not high profile people u know. it was different back then.. we just learned about setups from word of mouth or seeing them at the track.. no HT to tell the whole world what you did. hehe
Old 01-11-2007, 07:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by exospeedAMcrx &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">ya that was the one in the magazines. there were a few more after that was done but not high profile people u know. it was different back then.. we just learned about setups from word of mouth or seeing them at the track.. no HT to tell the whole world what you did. hehe</TD></TR></TABLE>
Yeah it was like noone had names...that guy with the white gsr hatch or the fool with the black h22 coupe
Old 01-11-2007, 07:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SIXTY &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
Yeah it was like noone had names...that guy with the white gsr hatch or the fool with the black h22 coupe </TD></TR></TABLE>

haha yup that was so cal racing scene.

you were either called:
"that dood with the (insert car color) (insert engine type) (insert car type)"
or
"that foo with the (insert car color) (insert engine type) (insert car type)"

Old 01-11-2007, 08:33 PM
ABK
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (87mugenprocr-x)

yea but unless you run pr8 head valves are 31mm instead of 33mm. And I believe that non vtec head cannot run really high lift due to it's rockers (or someshit like that) I might be wrong.
Vtec heads also flow more, so it's cheaper just to run a vtec head.
Old 01-11-2007, 11:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (87mugenprocr-x)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 87mugenprocr-x &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Vtec is not what is generating these high horsepower numbers, it is merely providing a more broad power curve. Using a high lobe camshaft to expoloit volumetric effiecency is what makes power(along with a host of other things), these high lobe camshafts do not require Vtec.

Julian</TD></TR></TABLE>

it's not the process of vtec, it's the ability to run a larger lobe for high rpms and still idle on smaller lobes.
Vtec head's have larger ports, better shaped ports, larger valves, better shaped combustion chambers, better rocker assemblies, better springs, lighter valves (ITR), better intake manifold designs, etc.....
There's no doubt that a vtec head is superior. It's not opinion, but fact. You'll always be able to make more power out of a vtec head.
Old 01-11-2007, 11:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: most horsepower ever made on naturally aspirated LS motor (myke)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by myke &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
thinking of going with 86 x 95...with an ls head of course...maybe squareport (thank God that my buddy is a well known head porter lol) hehe...my hp goal is 250-260 whp

Modified by myke at 8:10 PM 1/11/2007</TD></TR></TABLE>

Good luck. If I were you, i'd set my goals near 180whp first. 250 whp would most likely be the most power ever documented out of an LS head.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: most horsepower ever made on naturally aspirated LS motor (fully built) ???