Notices
Honda / Acura Appearance related discussion for Honda / Acura vehicles

Tried that vinyl/fabric paint from duplicolor... pics/mini review..

Old 09-01-2002, 09:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tried that vinyl/fabric paint from duplicolor... pics/mini review..

There was a thread on here a couple days ago about this stuff. I figured it would be perfect for my faded gray door panel inserts on my 95 EX, so I headed to the local autoparts store and found it in the paint aisle.

I went ahead and pulled my door panels (kind of a pain, since the Chilton's manual I have is VERY vague (so vague it doesn't even have instructions for my year/model)). Anyway, got them all apart, and I was disappointed to find that I couldn't remove the inserts to paint them seperately from the vinyl panel. They're held in with "plastic rivets" (at least, that's what it looks like). So, I got to work masking off the vinyl. The only thing I could get to stick was electrical tape. Masking tape wouldn't stick at all to the vinyl (probably cause it's got armor-all on it).

After I got everything taped off, I went ahead and sprayed the stuff on... It goes on pretty much just like spraypaint. The one thing I wasn't satisifed with was the fact that the one spot there was still discolored a bit. However, this is probably because the fabric is all crushed down and stuff, since that's right where I rest my arm when I'm driving.

After the stuff dried completely, I pulled the masking off and re-installed all the components into the door panels and put them back on the car. I was surprised, the inside of the car doesn't smell like aerosol at all.

I was pretty skeptical at first, but this stuff does seem to work. The next thing I will probably do is my front seats, since they're the same faded gray. The paint does leave the fabric kind of stiff and bristly feeling, but I rubbed it with a stiff shoe-cleaning type brush to soften it up a little bit, and when I did this, the paint didn't flake off or anything, so it seems pretty durable.

Anyway, here's some pics, for those of you who are visual... Sorry for the crappy quality on a few, my camera just isn't that great...

The test subject... That's my brother's Impala in the BG

The product. As you can see, I also picked up something for the exterior as well, but that will happen tomorrow.

Before...

After...

Old 09-01-2002, 09:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Tried that vinyl/fabric paint from duplicolor... pics/mini review.. (matt-eg)

Well its black now... looks good.
Old 09-01-2002, 11:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Tried that vinyl/fabric paint from duplicolor... pics/mini review.. (iLLestjr)

heres wat i did...on my sol and my friends 95 hatch,.....buy some vinyl from whereever...and once u get the door panel off use a screw driver to break the plastic rivets. i then used a combination of spray adhesive and supre glue to put the new vinyl over the old material....to get the door back together i used a washer and a screw and it was like new and now u dont have ot worry about the paint commin off
Old 09-02-2002, 10:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Tried that vinyl/fabric paint from duplicolor... pics/mini review.. (VTEC CX)

That does look great. I'd like to see more pics if you have any?

Does anyone have the ***** to try to dye theirs red??
Old 09-02-2002, 10:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Tried that vinyl/fabric paint from duplicolor... pics/mini review.. (EpDarks)

i jus covered mine in red vinyl
Old 09-02-2002, 11:10 AM

Default Re: Tried that vinyl/fabric paint from duplicolor... pics/mini review.. (DevilSolSi)

Hmm... I actually saw an article on JDM Fan after I did this about recovering in vinyl and how you can just break the rivets and put screws in. I wish I'd seen that before cause it would've made it much easier than having to tape everything off, plus there's a little part that's peeking out on the underside of the driver's side that's still gray cause I messed up with the tape and didn't notice before I painted.

Ahh well, I'll take some more pics in better light today to show everyone just how it turned out. From the second "After" pic there, it almost looks like the cloth is darker than the vinyl, but really it's about the same color.
Old 09-02-2002, 01:22 PM
H-T Poker champion

Default Re: Tried that vinyl/fabric paint from duplicolor... pics/mini review.. (matt-eg)

looks good.. let us see how it looks installed with the rest of the finished interor!
Old 09-03-2002, 03:50 PM

Default Re: Tried that vinyl/fabric paint from duplicolor... pics/mini review..

I love that vinyl paint. I even painted my headliner
Old 09-03-2002, 07:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Tried that vinyl/fabric paint from duplicolor... pics/mini review.. (blacksoul)

I just used the same stuff on some parts in my HF CRX. from blue to black just like that
Old 09-03-2002, 09:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Tried that vinyl/fabric paint from duplicolor... pics/mini review.. (Civicboy)

i know some people that painted theirs... it'll chip eventually..dont worry...recovering it in a different material is more of a pain but better in the end
Old 09-04-2002, 03:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Tried that vinyl/fabric paint from duplicolor... pics/mini review.. (DevilSolSi)

We shall see how it holds up. I just sprayed my door panel.