Notices
Audio / Security / Video Sound Systems, Alarms, Electronics

Remote Start install tips

Old 01-05-2007, 04:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Remote Start install tips

Steps to a remote starter install. (read the Sticky on Alarm install so you will understand the basics)

1. Get the diagram for your car.
Acura
Honda

2. Get the R/S unit of your choice
Good products are Compustar, DEI(Viper/Python/Clifford), Audiovox/Prestige, UltraStart
(other units exist but these are the ones i have used in the past and never had a problem with)

3. Get the Bypass (For vehicles equipped with Immobilizer/ Chipped key)
Pick BypassKit PKH3 -o- PKH2 (or DEI 555h -o- 556h)
I perfer the the BypassKit because it requires one key for programming and you can use the grey key. (pick whichever is cheaper for you)

4. Take apart your car as if you are doing an alarm install

5. Wires you will need to hook up for remote start to work are
12v
Ground
Tach
Neutral Safety Switch
Brake
Ignition harness (ignition, accessory, 2nd ignition or 2nd accessory, starter)
R/S Bypass wires (only if your car needs it)
Factory Alarm disarm (only if your car has factory security)
Hoodpin (optional, but recommended)

6. Find the wires and hook up the R/S wires to the car

7. Program tach

8. Hook up bypass and program it

9. Remote start your car.

You cannot hook up remote start to your existing factory alarm/keyless entry because once the engine is on, you must manually open the door with the key.

But if you already have an aftermarket alarm and want remote start you can use a remote start add-on.
Pick Between DEi Valet 561T or UltraStart 1155
(other units exist but these are the ones i have used in the past and never had a problem with)
Old 01-05-2007, 04:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">You cannot hook up remote start to your existing factory alarm/keyless entry because once the engine is on, you must manually open the door with the key.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Hmm, then something must be wrong with my car because I can unlock my doors with my remote when it's remote started... And most remote starts have lock/unlock outputs, so this really isn't an issue.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">5. Wires you will need to hook up for remote start to work are
12v</TD></TR></TABLE>

In the ignition harness.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Neutral Safety Switch</TD></TR></TABLE>

Rarely required. Usually hooked up to remote start on/off switch.

Lots of misinformation in your first post. Great start.
Old 01-05-2007, 05:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Location: 99 probs but a stolen car aint 1, ca, cerritos/fullerton
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: (B18C_EJ8)

my co worker can add a remote start unit with the factory trunk button But you lose its function.
Old 01-05-2007, 06:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (wrx-killer-Sti eater)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by wrx-killer-Sti eater &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">my co worker can add a remote start unit with the factory trunk button But you lose its function.</TD></TR></TABLE>

You can program some cars to use a sequence of buttons instead of a single button like 02accord did in his 02 accord
Old 01-05-2007, 09:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: (misanthropist)

I didn't exactly program it to do that. It involved a bunch of relays and 3 timer chips.
Old 01-05-2007, 09:41 PM

What you mean misinformation,
first off, you CANT use FACTORY REMOTES after remote start (unless you got a really old car without immbolizier, then this is dealer installed)

and hoodpins are a safety precaution for people. Rather safe than sorry.

you dont always have to get your 12v from the ignition harness.

Newb
Old 01-05-2007, 10:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (misanthropist)

Good overview, but you can't do any alarm or remote start install without verifying every wire. Locating and verifying a wire is practically the same thing.

The stupid little safety switch is a cop-out. It doesn't actually protect you from remote starting your car when it's in gear. If you forget to put your car in park, you'll forget to hit the safety off switch as well. It's just there to put liability on the operator so they can't sue the installer. Connect the neutral safety like you're supposed to.
Old 01-06-2007, 12:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (PKH3)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by PKH3 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">What you mean misinformation,
first off, you CANT use FACTORY REMOTES after remote start (unless you got a really old car without immbolizier, then this is dealer installed)
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Lol nice try but you're wrong. You can use the immobilizer bypass module with the factory remote just as easily
Old 01-06-2007, 04:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">What you mean misinformation,

and hoodpins are a safety precaution for people. Rather safe than sorry.

you dont always have to get your 12v from the ignition harness.

Newb</TD></TR></TABLE>

First of all, are you calling me a newb???

Second, you didn't mention anything about factory remotes in your first post. You simply said that you can't add remote start to cars with factory security/keyless.

Third, I never said anything about hood pins. I agree with you on them. I questioned your description of the NSS.

And last, why would you go elsewhere to get 12v when it's right there with all of the other wires you're tapping? To make more work for yourself and to have one more wire to tie up/hide?

That's what I meant by misinformation...
Old 01-06-2007, 09:55 AM
fcm
Old Fart

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Re: Remote Start install tips (PKH3)

Well all I can say is, BRAHAHAHAHA, ROFL.

You cannot hook up remote start to your existing factory alarm/keyless entry because once the engine is on, you must manually open the door with the key

That's funny, I must be doing something wrong as I have done 100s of cars with OEM alarms and key-less entry and they are all working just fine, even the OEM remotes still work on the oem systems.

Also what the hell is an R/S bypass wire?

Not all Honda/Acura OEM alarms can be armed/disarmed with anything but the OEM remote.

Not all aftermarket alarms are compatible with remote starts without mods.

Misinformation, you think? 94

Old 01-06-2007, 02:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Remote Start install tips (fcm)

calm down kids. He's just trying to help. I don't see you guys post up a tutorial on how to install a remote start do you? stop criticizing the guy.
Old 01-06-2007, 03:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Maybe I would be cooler if i made a thread about how I completed the oh-so-complex install of an armrest???
Old 01-06-2007, 05:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Location: 99 probs but a stolen car aint 1, ca, cerritos/fullerton

fcm its possiable but you lose the trunk feature the way we do it, 02 accord has done the same but a diffrent way. I bet you could figure it out
Old 01-06-2007, 06:02 PM
fcm
Old Fart

Default Re: (wrx-killer-Sti eater)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by wrx-killer-Sti eater &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">fcm its possiable but you lose the trunk feature the way we do it, 02 accord has done the same but a diffrent way. I bet you could figure it out</TD></TR></TABLE>What is possible? Yea I know, anything is, but what specifically are you referring to? 94
Old 01-06-2007, 06:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: (fcm)

Adding remote start and activating it using the factory keyless entry remote without losing the functionality of any buttons on the remote.
Old 01-06-2007, 06:11 PM

Default Re: Remote Start install tips (fcm)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by fcm &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Well all I can say is, BRAHAHAHAHA, ROFL.

You cannot hook up remote start to your existing factory alarm/keyless entry because once the engine is on, you must manually open the door with the key

That's funny, I must be doing something wrong as I have done 100s of cars with OEM alarms and key-less entry and they are all working just fine, even the OEM remotes still work on the oem systems.

Also what the hell is an R/S bypass wire?

Not all Honda/Acura OEM alarms can be armed/disarmed with anything but the OEM remote.

Not all aftermarket alarms are compatible with remote starts without mods.

Misinformation, you think? 94
</TD></TR></TABLE>
ex. Say you are doing r/s on a 06 Accord. if you hook up remote start to the factory remote using a Valet 561T and you set it to turn on by press "lock lock". Once you walk out to the car, you try to press unlock but it doesnt unlock, so you must manually open the door.

You can turn on your engine by hand and see if your factory remote works. it doesnt.

Thats why pro dont hook up r/s add-on to factory remote when this happens. Better to get a new remote with better range too.

Bypass wires are wires off the bypass stupid
can you not read?
Did you not know that new cars have this thing called "Immobilizer". and if you hook up an r/s, you will need to get around this "Immobilizer". So you use something called a "Bypass" and there are wires for it to work

You stated "Not all Honda/Acura OEM alarms can be armed/disarmed with anything but the OEM remote."

List a car that has factory alarm that cant be disabled my using factory alarm disarm.

I think your just mad cause you drive an old honda or acura that just dont got all this new stuff like "immobilizer" and factory keyless entry that are built into the car's computer

Plus, this was a thread meant to help inform those about remote start, and intrested in doing it themselves.
Old 01-06-2007, 07:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I just literally laughed out loud.
Old 01-06-2007, 08:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

This guy is something else!!
Old 01-07-2007, 09:02 AM
fcm
Old Fart

Well you asked for it, how about this one.... http://www.directwholesale.net...eID=3

or this one... http://www.directwholesale.net...eID=3

or maybe this one... http://www.directwholesale.net...eID=3

Maybe an Acura... http://www.directwholesale.net...eID=6

The DEI 561T was designed as an add on to DEI alarms, [that have remotes] and although possible, [nothing a few relays and diodes wouldn't fix] why would anyone want a remote start using the short range oem remote?

The fix.... I wonder if installing a relay on the ign. input to the oem alarm/key-less, controlled by the remote starts "status output" would solve the problem of the key-less not working with the engine running?

Getting by the "using the oem remote and not losing a function of the oem remote" posses another problem, I have to think about that for a bit, but again why would any one want a remote start with so little range?

Now we get to the name calling....
<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by PKH3 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Bypass wires are wires off the bypass stupid
can you not read?</TD></TR></TABLE> Call me stupid, you ignorant ****, I was installing car starters when you where still your daddy's wet dream.

What the hell do you think we have been doing here other then helping people that want to install things themselves?

I will tell you, one of the things is keeping an eye out for no0bs like you who come on here and spue misinformation, and stomp your ***, when you argue the point.

Don't get me wrong, it's not that we want you to go away, we all need a good Brahahahah now and then, and you are good at that. 94
Old 01-07-2007, 10:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Don't get me wrong, it's not that we want you to go away, </TD></TR></TABLE>

Speak for yourself...
Old 01-07-2007, 07:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Well, if we're all sharing our wealth of remote start information, Where the heck do you connect to the starter wire at? I found it at the key cylinder, not enough room to splice in there, so i followed it down, where it goes WAY up and out of reach, then it disapears GRRR.
Old 01-08-2007, 04:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Well, if we're all sharing our wealth of remote start information, Where the heck do you connect to the starter wire at?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Year/Make/Model would help.
Old 01-08-2007, 06:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

You are talkin trash to the wrong person. You should be asking fcm for help my friend. Nice start, you should be taking the constructive criticism and improving it. Gettin pissy will get you no where.
Old 01-08-2007, 08:15 AM
fcm
Old Fart

Default Re: (red91sit)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by red91sit &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Well, if we're all sharing our wealth of remote start information, Where the heck do you connect to the starter wire at? I found it at the key cylinder, not enough room to splice in there, so i followed it down, where it goes WAY up and out of reach, then it disapears GRRR.</TD></TR></TABLE> Yea, MM&Y of car would help, but on any car there are a number of places that the remote start wire can be connected, if we are talking about a Honda/Acura I make my connection at the ign. harness plug, or the starter relay plug, [5 speed] or the gear position switch, [auto trans.] it can even be run into the engine bay and connected directly to the starter solenoid.
The easiest is the ign. harness plug, Pepin the OEM starter lead from plastic plug, solder remote start lead to the pin, [being careful not to interfere with the pins ability to be repined and lock into the plastic plug again].
Easy as cake/piece of pie. 94
Old 01-08-2007, 04:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (fcm)

haha, yeah i suppose a little more information would have helped "DOH"

But anyways, i found the connection near the steering column disconnected it and have it all soldered up now, thanks anyways. It was a 1995 Honda Civic Coupe too.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Remote Start install tips