Notices
Honda Prelude All Model Preludes

Cryo-treated Stock Pistons

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2006, 07:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cryo-treated Stock Pistons

Alright I've been searching, googlin', etc....once again no real answers...so I post...

Has anyone ever cryo-treated a set of stock H22 pistons and thrown them back into the stock sleeves?

I know cryo-treatment would make them stronger and I'm not looking for some miracle fix for FRM problem but would they be able to handle like +350hp without destroying a ringland?

I'm under some pretty heavy considerations of buying OEM specific to the stock bores so I don't have to get the block bored over to fit them correctly, essentially just dropping them in and see what it's got.

One last question...

Now I don't know a ton about FRM, but I know that stock pistons are apparently the only type that work well in the FRM sleeves and maybe it has something to do with specfically the type of metal used to manufactuer the pistons ,but would cryo-treatment have any effect on the "coating" on the stock pistons which allows them to work in harmony with the FRM sleeves?
Old 12-13-2006, 05:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: Cryo-treated Stock Pistons (h22sedan)

after all the labor of taking out the pistons, shipping then paying for the cryo treatment, just get a set of mahle gold pistons. they work with frm and are forged.. will be alot stronger than cryo treated honda pistons.
Old 12-13-2006, 02:48 PM

what does frm stands for?
Old 12-13-2006, 02:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Cryo-treated Stock Pistons (prelittlelude)

Here's the thing I'm wondering though.. I posted this originally on the Mahle thread recently but no replies so...

Ok, so let me get this straight...

They sell these pistons in 87mm and 87.25mm
The stock engine bore can be a mix of 87mm and 87.05mm (either A or B)

So you can't just pull the head and drop in a set of these pistons without boring and honing the sleeves?

Example: My block would be AABB (just tossin' it out). I can't buy a set of A bore 87mm pistons and put them in B bore cylinders? You can't just gap the piston ring larger? I'm still pretty new and doing alot of research on the technical aspects of building an engine so forgive my ignorance.

I mean I'm interested in getting a set for my turbo project to be a little safer but at the same time if it means I'd have to pull the entire engine, completely disassemble, and have the block machined then I won't be doing it.

If I'm going to go to all that trouble I'll just pay to have sleeves pressed in. Granted it's expensive for sleeves, may as well go big.

Also, aren't the bore sizes also stamped on the bottom of the block on the oil pan end, back side. I'm fairly certain last time I changed my oil I noticed them.
Old 12-13-2006, 02:54 PM

Default Re: (Vilmar)

Fiber Reinforced Metal
Old 12-13-2006, 03:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Cryo-treated Stock Pistons (h22sedan)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by h22sedan &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Here's the thing I'm wondering though.. I posted this originally on the Mahle thread recently but no replies so...

Ok, so let me get this straight...

They sell these pistons in 87mm and 87.25mm
The stock engine bore can be a mix of 87mm and 87.05mm (either A or B)

So you can't just pull the head and drop in a set of these pistons without boring and honing the sleeves?

Example: My block would be AABB (just tossin' it out). I can't buy a set of A bore 87mm pistons and put them in B bore cylinders? You can't just gap the piston ring larger? I'm still pretty new and doing alot of research on the technical aspects of building an engine so forgive my ignorance.

I mean I'm interested in getting a set for my turbo project to be a little safer but at the same time if it means I'd have to pull the entire engine, completely disassemble, and have the block machined then I won't be doing it.

If I'm going to go to all that trouble I'll just pay to have sleeves pressed in. Granted it's expensive for sleeves, may as well go big.

Also, aren't the bore sizes also stamped on the bottom of the block on the oil pan end, back side. I'm fairly certain last time I changed my oil I noticed them.</TD></TR></TABLE>

The numbers you see on the bottom of the block are for ordering main bearings. The A's and B's are on the top.

IMO its so worth it to get a sleeved block, you can sleeve it at 87 and if the motor ever goes it can be rebored a few times. Trust me it doesnt take much going wrong to f-up an entire motor.

But if you do go with the Mahles then have a trusted shop that has expierience witht them do the work.