Notices

parking lights randomly come on when brakes are pressed

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2006, 05:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default parking lights randomly come on when brakes are pressed

ok, so intermittenly my parking lights (1st click) will come on when the lights are off when i press the brakes. it doesn't matter if the car is on or off. it just happens sometimes and doesn't other times. what do you guys think could be causing this? maybe the brake light/fuel pump ground isn't securely grounded in the hatch? is there a ground below the steering wheel around where the turn signal canceller is?any help would be greatly appreciated.

Modified by STDClayton at 9:36 AM 9/26/2006
Old 09-26-2006, 10:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: parking lights randomly come on when brakes are pressed (STDClayton)

seriously, if anyone knows if this is maybe a sign of something failing or if it's something completely obvious that i can't think of, let me know!
Old 09-26-2006, 11:32 AM
Stouts 'n' Scotch

Default Re: parking lights randomly come on when brakes are pressed (STDClayton)

I think you know where you're going with this, it definitely sounds like a grounding issue because the electricity is leaking into other wires when you hit your brakes. Check all of your grounds out and the brake light switch itself. Good luck, wiring demons are either simple or mind-numbingly complicated in my experience.
Old 09-26-2006, 02:55 PM

yep look at the grounds and bulb sockets for the taillight, also check all your break light bulbs. I had a dual filiment bulb pop once and part of the brake filiment was touching the parking light filiment. Talk about beating my head aginst the wall on that one.
Old 09-27-2006, 09:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (markviiisvt4)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by markviiisvt4 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">yep look at the grounds and bulb sockets for the taillight, also check all your break light bulbs. I had a dual filiment bulb pop once and part of the brake filiment was touching the parking light filiment. Talk about beating my head aginst the wall on that one.</TD></TR></TABLE>

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by wiZCo &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I think you know where you're going with this, it definitely sounds like a grounding issue because the electricity is leaking into other wires when you hit your brakes. Check all of your grounds out and the brake light switch itself. Good luck, wiring demons are either simple or mind-numbingly complicated in my experience.</TD></TR></TABLE>

thank you, both so much. that's what i was thinking, wiZCo, i just needed some reassurance. markviisvt4, good call on that man. i never would have thought about that. now it's time to figure this out!
Old 09-28-2006, 02:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Your fluid level is low.

Doesn't anyone read the manual anymore?
Old 09-28-2006, 04:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (SETI20)

fluid level?
Old 09-28-2006, 04:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

pop the hood, unscrew the cap of your brake cilinder, and top it off.

Problem solved. Bet you a beer on that.
Old 09-28-2006, 05:49 AM

Default Re: (SETI20)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SETI20 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">pop the hood, unscrew the cap of your brake cilinder, and top it off.

Problem solved. Bet you a beer on that.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Exactly what i was going to say...you are saying you dash brake light is coming on when you hit the brakes, correct...there is a sensor in the MC when it gets low it turns on the dash warning light, when you press your brakes it is pushing enough fluid out to set the sensor off

But yea now after read rereading i see you aren't talking about your dash light
Old 09-28-2006, 09:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Loserkidwac)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Loserkidwac &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
But yea now after read rereading i see you aren't talking about your dash light </TD></TR></TABLE>

exactly. i know that the brake light on the gauge cluster will come on when the brake fluid is lower than it should be. but my left brake light/tail light (dual fillament bulb) is burnt out and the fillament is touching the parking light...now i just have to wait until friday (payday) to replace the bulb and hope that that is the case.