Notices
Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

Unstable "loose" feeling at highway speeds

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2006, 07:18 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Unstable "loose" feeling at highway speeds

lately ive been noticing that the old accord feels very unstable at highway speeds. i have a slow leak in the rear passenger side tire (i believe a staple is punctured in at the tread/sidewall junction), but i fill up the tire every time before i get on the highway (only time i drive now that im from school). i have a feeling that the tire may be to blame, and i know that i should get it replaced, but for the time being, im kinda stuck between a rock and a hard place about it.

it can best be described as a uncertain loose feeling. at times it feels like the rear end of the car will want to break loose and oversteer (this is on straigh-aways mind you). this is much more prevelant when i first get on the highway (maybe its just my mind playing tricks on me, and i get used to it?) and it seems to be less prevelant when i have both hands on the steering wheel. however it makes me feel kinda uncomfortable, and i stay in the right lane at keep it at 65-70.

i tried doing some searching, but its such a hard thing to describe...one thread talked about maybe one of the joints in the tie rod being bad -i have noticed the handeling feels a little "looser" or "open" at very slow speeds. last time i was under the car (middle of august), i inspected CV boots, etc. so i dong think its axle related.

im really stumped because even when the tire is at full pressure, it still feels kinda awkard, and this has just come up really since i got to school (commuted 25 miles a day on highway during the summer)

thanks in advance
Old 09-10-2006, 07:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Unstable "loose" feeling at highway speeds (fw190bvi)

Get your alignment checked out.
Old 09-10-2006, 07:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Well.. you said rear of car feels weird....
In my case, when camber kit wasn't properly tighten, car would make strange noises and even have a mind of its own when driving at high speed. I got that checked, and know (..as I was told..) my tie rods are messed up; when stopped, turning the wheel before accelerating will cause the wheels to make a noise, like a hammer hitting the fender....
Have you lifted the car to see if there's any play with rear wheels?
Old 09-10-2006, 07:34 PM

Default Re: (gianinline)

theres no play in the rear wheels....at least when i jacked the car up last there was nothing abnormal with the sag.

on a side note, the car MIGHT have been hit (long story) in a parking lot, and driver's side camber is a little big (i have a bit of negative camber to begin with).

this is just one more thing to depress me about this damn car. i really wanna just get rid of it

is there anyway to test the tie rods w/o getting under the car and removing the boots and inspecting the joints? -i was planning on just taking the car into my mechanics over winter brake to have them do the fuel filter and a few other odd things i just dont have time for anymore....eh......
Old 09-11-2006, 09:29 AM

Default Re: (fw190bvi)

bump...help me out guys
Old 09-11-2006, 10:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do you have cheap tires on the car? My Accord did that after I stupidly bought Pep Boys tires. They were very thin in the sidewalls.
Old 09-11-2006, 01:25 PM

Default Re: Unstable "loose" feeling at highway speeds (Hondaman56)

depending on how hard your car was hit in the parking lot it may have distortated your body to make it wasnt to pull to one side. a normal alighnment shop would not notice it unless you tell them.
Old 09-11-2006, 01:33 PM

Default Re: Unstable "loose" feeling at highway speeds (Hondaman56)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Hondaman56 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Do you have cheap tires on the car? My Accord did that after I stupidly bought Pep Boys tires. They were very thin in the sidewalls.</TD></TR></TABLE>

i wouldnt say cheap...yokohama avid touring...not performance by any extent, but they have been a decent tire, and the tread wear is amazing even when lowered.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by eeleaj &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">depending on how hard your car was hit in the parking lot it may have distortated your body to make it wasnt to pull to one side. a normal alighnment shop would not notice it unless you tell them.</TD></TR></TABLE>

i highly doubt the frame was bent. it was like the bumpers were scrapped...just some scuffs on the bumper. i guess you could also explain it as a floating sensation...kinda feels like the rear end is floating at time...shocks (KYB AGX) aren't blown, and ride height hasnt changed that i can tell (SPortline)
Old 09-11-2006, 01:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

You may have belts breaking inside the tire. When you go slow (5mph) does the car wag it's tail? If not, jack the car up, and make sure there is no play in the wheels. Grab the tire on each side and try to push and pull on it. Also turn the wheel, and listen for grinding sounds (bearing failure). Good luck finding the problem
Old 09-11-2006, 02:20 PM

Default Re: Unstable "loose" feeling at highway speeds (BLKFLSH)

is the wear totally even on your car.. look for feathering on the sides.. it so, alignments..

also, i just replaced my cv boots, and tie rod bellows on the sol, but didnt have time to align it that day
steering was loose..
when you hit a bump wile driving does your car move radically or no..

look at your car wheels straight ahead.. does it look duck toed? ( \ /) or pigeon toed?( / \)
Old 09-11-2006, 05:20 PM

Default Re: Unstable "loose" feeling at highway speeds (splashystrwbery)

i have negative camber (pigeon toed) but im lowered 2 inches, and it was aligned aftewords. (i know, i know, the alignment isnt to spec w/ camber...i know all about that)

theres no augmentation of the steering when i hit a bump, and at slow speeds (5~10mph) the only thing noticable is that the steering feels looser..there seems to be less resistance on the wheel. at crusing city speeds (35-55mph) the car feels like it always has.

im gonna tune down the damper on the rear shocks before i drive home this weekend

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by BLKFLSH &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">You may have belts breaking inside the tire. When you go slow (5mph) does the car wag it's tail? If not, jack the car up, and make sure there is no play in the wheels. Grab the tire on each side and try to push and pull on it. Also turn the wheel, and listen for grinding sounds (bearing failure). Good luck finding the problem </TD></TR></TABLE>

do you mean push and pull on the sidewall (check tire) or on the whole rolling mechanism (bearing)

on a side note, when my dad was driving it, the car had a front (i believe driver's side) wheel bearing fail complelty....i shouldnt be expecting one of the rear wheels hubs to just fall off when im doing 70, should i?
Old 09-11-2006, 07:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by fw190bvi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
theres no augmentation of the steering when i hit a bump, and at slow speeds (5~10mph) the only thing noticable is that the steering feels looser..there seems to be less resistance on the wheel. at crusing city speeds (35-55mph) the car feels like it always has.

do you mean push and pull on the sidewall (check tire) or on the whole rolling mechanism (bearing)

on a side note, when my dad was driving it, the car had a front (i believe driver's side) wheel bearing fail complelty....i shouldnt be expecting one of the rear wheels hubs to just fall off when im doing 70, should i? </TD></TR></TABLE>

I mean grab the tire by the tread, or give it a big hug, and try to shake it side to side, like you're trying to pull it off the hub (loose suspension). You should be able to hear or feel grinding, when you rotate the wheel, if the wheel bearing is bad.

And no, I don't think the wheel will fall off on you.
Old 09-12-2006, 04:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I work with collision repair in a body shop, and ... I wasn't going to mention anything of that kind, cause I thought you never had been hit or such thing.
Anyway, if you got hit, something could have got bent. Sometimes, suspension parts need to be replaced, entire (one side) assembly.
Old 09-12-2006, 10:50 AM

Default Re: (gianinline)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by gianinline &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I work with collision repair in a body shop, and ... I wasn't going to mention anything of that kind, cause I thought you never had been hit or such thing.
Anyway, if you got hit, something could have got bent. Sometimes, suspension parts need to be replaced, entire (one side) assembly.</TD></TR></TABLE>

like i said, it appears like i was scrapped bumper to bumper...and the orientation of the way i was parked that way made it pretty impossible for it to be anything but that....if the frame/subframe was bent, that would cause a noticable pull to one side at all speeds, would it not? the car tracks normally at regular crusing speeds, and everything feels normal.

i dont hear any abnormal sounds at normal speeds when steering, so im thinking the wheel bearing is still ok. i just hate taking cars to that damn discount tire...sons of bitches treat you like your an idiot -and i dont feel like putting up with their **** for having camber wear
Old 09-13-2006, 07:56 AM

bump for input
Old 09-13-2006, 01:02 PM
Anandrew

My car starts shaking when I'm driving at like 75-80 miles an hour anyone know what that is? I dont know the first thing about cars.....
Old 09-13-2006, 01:22 PM
Me Gusta History

Default Re: Unstable "loose" feeling at highway speeds (Anandrew)

Mine did that when teh wheels weren't mounted properly and they were a little loose and unstable.

For FW though I dont know bump for him
Old 09-13-2006, 04:50 PM

Default Re: Unstable "loose" feeling at highway speeds (Anandrew)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Anandrew &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">My car starts shaking when I'm driving at like 75-80 miles an hour anyone know what that is? I dont know the first thing about cars.....</TD></TR></TABLE>

your wheels arent balanced.
Old 09-15-2006, 08:23 AM

well, im leaving East Lansing for Ann Arbor and then back home...about 1:30 of highway driving time...wish me luck
Old 09-15-2006, 09:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My first thought is that your rear toe is out of whack. If this is a fairly recent problem you probably wouldn't notice any tire feathering, as someone mentioned earlier. You might need to bite the bullet and get the alignment checked.
Old 09-18-2006, 11:58 AM

Default Re: Unstable "loose" feeling at highway speeds (philadd)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by philadd &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">My first thought is that your rear toe is out of whack. If this is a fairly recent problem you probably wouldn't notice any tire feathering, as someone mentioned earlier. You might need to bite the bullet and get the alignment checked.</TD></TR></TABLE>

depending on how things go, i will probably have alignment checked over winter break...theres a frame shop about 2 miles from my house that can deal with lowered cars really easily...thats where i got the first alignment done.

the trip was fine...didnt notice it as much this time, but i tried not to focus on the cars orientation to the road, but rather to the other cars/surroundings, etc (if that makes any sense). there is a slightly noticable toe-in on the rears, but it seems to have always been that way.
Old 09-18-2006, 12:25 PM
Me Gusta History

I miss you, John.
Old 09-18-2006, 12:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My concern actually comes from the bumper-to-bumper scrape that you mentioned. It wouldn't take much of a bump to knock a rear tire out of alignment just a little bit. Another car scraping along the side of your car could possibly have enough force, but it's hard to tell without looking at the damage.

If any suspension part in that area was slightly bent before, but was simply "corrected" by adjusting the alignment, it would be just that much easier to bend it some more. (I know from personal experience. )
Old 09-18-2006, 06:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Not really..... suspension parts could get damaged, bent and have moved position without affecting the car's drive. It all depends the extension of the damage.
Old 09-18-2006, 07:20 PM

Default Re: Unstable "loose" feeling at highway speeds (accordselux)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by accordselux &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I miss you, John.</TD></TR></TABLE>

you left me for that god damn cold *** state, ben......get this, some douche bag here at MSU from Wisconsin tried showing us where he lived on his hand...come on now.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by philadd &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">My concern actually comes from the bumper-to-bumper scrape that you mentioned. It wouldn't take much of a bump to knock a rear tire out of alignment just a little bit. Another car scraping along the side of your car could possibly have enough force, but it's hard to tell without looking at the damage.

If any suspension part in that area was slightly bent before, but was simply "corrected" by adjusting the alignment, it would be just that much easier to bend it some more. (I know from personal experience. )</TD></TR></TABLE>

i SERIOUSLY doubt anything was "bent"....in all honesty...ive been rear ended twice, had an old lady hit me (her tire hit my extreme front left bumper -just spider webed the paint a bit), and curbed the front drivers side on a rainy day on an onramp -none of that did anything to the alignment.

however i wouldnt be suprised if something other than camber is out of spec....or if the tire needs to be replaced for something other than the slow leak

but for now it seems as though things arent as bad as i thought. ill take it in over winter break hopefully. thanks for the help guys, i knew i could count on you

Quick Reply: Unstable "loose" feeling at highway speeds