Notices
Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

ABS light on

Old 08-30-2006, 02:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ABS light on

i have a 96 accord ex and it sat for 6 months and now the ABS light comes on when i put it in gear and go over 4 or 5 MPH. called honda and they told me it was $59.99 just to get it diagnosed!!!

i know there used to be a stickied thread somewhere where you could replace something for cheap and it would go off but i searched and didnt find anything...

also looked read this and wondered if it was the same for an accord???

https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1584925

any help is appreciated!!!
Old 08-30-2006, 05:09 PM

Default Re: ABS light on (honda_kid42)

It can be several things the ABS moduator, wheel sensors... I would bring it to the dealer and have them diagnose it, they will then retrieve the Abs DTC that your car is giving and pinpoint the problem, this will probably be cheaper than guessing and hoping replacing things will fix the problem!
Old 08-30-2006, 05:26 PM

My '96 Accord has ABS problems also (seems like all the 5th gen Accords have serious ABS problems). I even started a thread recently about replacing my ABS modulator.

But in your case, you should pull the DTC codes first. You don't have to spend $60 to get the codes, it's free. There's a blue 2 pin service connector behind the passenger compartment, just jumper the 2 wires, turn the key to "on", and count the flashing ABS light to get your code.

There's a ton of info about ABS on this board, just do a search and you'll find the code numbers, and their definitions.

Good luck.
Old 08-30-2006, 09:01 PM

Default Re: (Ihatecars)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Ihatecars &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">My '96 Accord has ABS problems also (seems like all the 5th gen Accords have serious ABS problems). I even started a thread recently about replacing my ABS modulator.

But in your case, you should pull the DTC codes first. You don't have to spend $60 to get the codes, it's free. There's a blue 2 pin service connector behind the passenger compartment, just jumper the 2 wires, turn the key to "on", and count the flashing ABS light to get your code.

There's a ton of info about ABS on this board, just do a search and you'll find the code numbers, and their definitions.

Good luck.</TD></TR></TABLE>

good point but that only works with the CEL as far as i know....my ABS light doesnt come on untill i go 4 to 5 MPH in drive.....

i would rather try to find whats wrong for free and then just buy what i need...i really dont want to spend the extra money to just find out with out trying....i would really like to know if the thread i listed was the same for accords....

guess i will find out in the morning....
Old 08-31-2006, 05:34 AM

Default Re: (honda_kid42)

Hey, I have the exact car as yours and I'm telling you that I've recently pulled the ABS codes through the service check connector.

Our cars are OBD IIs, the OBD II port is behind the ashtray, that's where you check for CEL. The blue service connector is still there behind the glove compartment. And that's just for the ABS.

Good luck.

PS: If you're referring to the thread for cleaning the ABS sensors, yes, it's the same for the accords. I just did a complete overhaul on my brake system, changed the rotors, pads, flushed, changed master cylinder, and yes cleaned all the ABS sensors while I was at it. Unfortunately for me, my ABS modulator is shot.
Old 08-31-2006, 06:20 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Ihatecars &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Hey, I have the exact car as yours and I'm telling you that I've recently pulled the ABS codes through the service check connector.

Our cars are OBD IIs, the OBD II port is behind the ashtray, that's where you check for CEL. The blue service connector is still there behind the glove compartment. And that's just for the ABS.

Good luck.

PS: If you're referring to the thread for cleaning the ABS sensors, yes, it's the same for the accords. I just did a complete overhaul on my brake system, changed the rotors, pads, flushed, changed master cylinder, and yes cleaned all the ABS sensors while I was at it. Unfortunately for me, my ABS modulator is shot.</TD></TR></TABLE>

ok you are smarter and it did work and now i have the code but how do i find out what it is???? its throwing me a 48....
Old 08-31-2006, 07:37 AM

Code 4-8: Left Rear Wheel Sensor.

You might as well clean all the sensors and reset the ABS computer. Hopefully, that'll fix it for you.

I wish I had an easy way out like yours.

PS: I don't know if the other thread you were refering to said anything about the tone wheels on the CV joints/spindles, make sure to clean them up also, and not just the sensors.

Modified by Ihatecars at 9:12 AM 8/31/2006
Old 07-23-2008, 05:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: ABS light on (honda_kid42)

I have a '96 EX wagon and the blue 2 pin only turns on the CEL light for me. There's an orange 6 pin one marked ABS which did nothing.
Old 07-23-2008, 09:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Ihatecars &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Hey, I have the exact car as yours and I'm telling you that I've recently pulled the ABS codes through the service check connector.

Good luck.

PS: If you're referring to the thread for cleaning the ABS sensors, yes, it's the same for the accords. I just did a complete overhaul on my brake system, changed the rotors, pads, flushed, changed master cylinder, and yes cleaned all the ABS sensors while I was at it. Unfortunately for me, my ABS modulator is shot.</TD></TR></TABLE>

My car is an OBD-II as well. It's a '96 EX wagon. But the service check connector for the ABS is NOT the blue one behind the glove box. When I put jumper wires in it, it's the CEL that lights up. There's a 6 pin orange connector located right next to it; I don't know what that does, but the bundle into the same harness that says "ABS 50 PULSE."

Please help, because this is not making any sense to me. It seems obvious enough but....
Old 07-24-2008, 07:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (herrgolf)

That 4 pin orange connector is for the ABS. What the dealer does is they hook up a special tool to that specific connector and the tester itself has four lights that indicate each corner of the wheel.

It indicates which sensors need to be replaced..I highly doubt any garage has that one specific tool to cover this job.

The Honda scan tool for the OBD IIs won't be able to detect the ABS on the 96-02 Accords.

03 and up they started to integrate the ABS system into what they called Body control modules.
Old 09-23-2008, 07:50 AM

Default Re: (Dcsports92)

i need to check the codes to see why my abs light is on too.

i can only find the 6pin orange connector under the glove box.
is there anyway to shove a wire in there to get the codes?

i have a '95 honda accord aerodeck 2.2i es rhd(us import) they are the same as the us wagon!

thanks in advance!
Old 08-07-2010, 10:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Dcsports92)

Originally Posted by 60minute-abs
i need to check the codes to see why my abs light is on too.

i can only find the 6pin orange connector under the glove box.
is there anyway to shove a wire in there to get the codes?

i have a '95 honda accord aerodeck 2.2i es rhd(us import) they are the same as the us wagon!

thanks in advance!
Did anybody figure this out? I see the 6 pin connector under the glove box tried jumping it but nothing. Is it the blue one I'm suppose to jump to get the code?
Old 08-07-2010, 02:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: ABS light on

Confirmed. The blue connector is used to get the abs code. Mine was 1 8. The manual says to check for continuity with the modulator connector and nothing. If I checked it right with a 12v meter then I need a new modulator according to the manual.
Old 08-14-2010, 12:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i had the same problem on my '94 accord ex. the abs light would come on when i'd get on the highway and punch it.
Old 08-15-2010, 12:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

for those that can't find the blue connector, sometimes it's hidden up behind the glove box, but it's there. mine, if i remember correctly was shoved way up in the bunch of wires, but it was there.