Notices

welding sun burn.

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2006, 01:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default welding sun burn.

i learned an importent lesson today. you can get a bad sun burn from welding. wear a full face shield not just goggles. damn my face hurts!
Old 07-15-2006, 01:24 AM

learnt the same lesson about gloves
Old 07-15-2006, 02:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (ukturbo77)

Never got welding sunburn.
Old 07-15-2006, 03:25 AM

Default Re: welding sun burn. (grndcont)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by grndcont &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i learned an importent lesson today. you can get a bad sun burn from welding. wear a full face shield not just goggles. damn my face hurts! </TD></TR></TABLE>

LOL!!!!! You just gave me a flash-back . I remember the day after I first welded (in a T-shirt) I woke up and was like "WTF happened to my arms?!"

I was burned so bad my arms peeled for like a week
Old 07-15-2006, 09:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: welding sun burn. (Enzo Speed)

When i need a tan for spring time... sometimes i weld in the nude

just kidding

It happens to a lot of us.
Old 07-15-2006, 10:29 AM

i was doing a couple spot welds a while back... without goggles, i was just closing my eyes before i touch it... my eyelids got sunburned and it hurt like hell... definatly always cover all of your skin from those rays...
Old 07-15-2006, 10:53 AM

Default Re: welding sun burn. (JDMs1eeper)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JDMs1eeper &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">When i need a tan for spring time... sometimes i weld in the nude

just kidding

It happens to a lot of us. </TD></TR></TABLE>

watch out for sparks!
Old 07-15-2006, 02:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

WARNING!!

you should cover all exposed skin when welding. because it can cause skin cancer... its not like normal sunlight where your just slowly burning its more accelerated and has a higher risk of skin cancer than regular sun tanning....

luckily i have brown skin so i dont tan or burn easily but i still cover my body cause i dont want to get skin cancer...
Old 07-15-2006, 05:13 PM

Default Re: (LordAphotic)

I've been doing welds underneath my car for the past few trips out to the garage, another good reason to wear long cotton or leather clothes is to keep your chest from being burned by molten steel splatter. It hurts, blisters, peels, and sucks.
(Synthetics like nylon can melt instead of burn and then you would have melting nylon and burning metal on your skin, which double sucks.)

Edit: I was wearing a T-shirt and welding sleeves, but I wish I had an apron or something on. I was not welding shirtless
Old 07-16-2006, 07:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Niles)

I never had welding sun burn, but my brother has. He builds signs and he does a lot of small tac welds. So he would point the gun and turn his head. Then he got in the habit of just closing his eyes. He came in and he whole face was swollen from it. Then he did it again like 3 days later.

I alwyas wear my helmet, No matter what I am doing. I am tan because I work outside.
I do not wear my leathers unless I have to. Because they are hot.

What do you guys do when you weld galvanized steel. Do you completely grind it off? or do you just burn through and poison yourself?
Old 07-16-2006, 02:33 PM

You also need a welding shield for plasma cutting. I used our shops new plasma cutter all day with only goggles and I was leaned in close to see better and I ended up with a very embarrassing severe sunburn. I looked like the joker from batman for a week. I layed out of work the first day because I didn't want to be seen.
Old 07-16-2006, 03:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: welding sun burn. (bob95egdx)

what do you guys wear when using the torch? I wear really dark sunglasses.
Old 07-16-2006, 05:02 PM

Default Re: welding sun burn. (NINJASWORD)

Your supposed to wear burning goggles. They usually come with a #4 shade lens. With glasses you risk getting molten metal in your eye.
Old 07-16-2006, 05:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: welding sun burn. (bob95egdx)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by bob95egdx &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Your supposed to wear burning goggles. They usually come with a #4 shade lens. With glasses you risk getting molten metal in your eye.</TD></TR></TABLE>

well when you put it that way it sounds bad. Next time I go to the welding store I will pick some up.
Old 07-21-2006, 08:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

yea, it may be hot, but thats why they make you wear the the big helmet when tig or arc welding, ifs it bright enough to make you go blind, its bright enough to give you a nice sunburn , i prefer wearing full helmets over everything, even for minor torch stuff, less sparks in the ear and hair
Old 07-21-2006, 11:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (imod)

I guess i don't entirely understand why people go without the proper safety equiptment when it comes to welding. I mean for god sakes they make it for a reason. This **** can really mess you up if you screw around. It doesn't make you more of a man, or a better welder if you don't abide by safety, it just makes you a dumb ***.

I'm glad you learend your lesson.

I always suited up in gloves, welding beanie, hood, pants, closed toed shoes, and 100% cotton pants. Please avoid polyester at all costs. Unless you want to catch fire, and have it melt onto you. And if you do please post pics, i like seeing gross stuff.
Old 07-22-2006, 10:28 PM
OG Fabricator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

isn't it actually radiation burn?
Old 07-22-2006, 11:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (jaydmcrx)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by jaydmcrx &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I guess i don't entirely understand why people go without the proper safety equiptment when it comes to welding.
I always suited up in gloves, welding beanie, hood, pants, closed toed shoes, and 100% cotton pants. P </TD></TR></TABLE>

You do that every time you weld? That is too extreme.
Old 07-22-2006, 11:19 PM

Default Re: (weiRtech)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by weiRtech &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">isn't it actually radiation burn?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Its Ultraviolet radiation, the same thing as a sun burn. except with welding its a concentrated sorce of UV being emitted by the arc. To much exposure can cause skin cancer.

A tip if you or some one gets flashed anuff and feels like you have sand in your eyes a few hours latter wet/used tea bags layed over the eyes helps take some of the discomfort away.
Old 07-23-2006, 11:19 AM

Default Re: (GTiR NX)

one time I was welding under a car with a mig welder and I was sitting on the ground. a molten goblet dropped off burned thru my pants and landed on my ******* I had a blister about the size of a dime it hurt badly and from that point on if I had to be on the ground to weld I put a leather apron on to cover my waist. But depending on how long your going to be welding definetly wear long sleeves to stop the burn. I think MIG is worse for burn than TIG but thats my two cents
Old 07-23-2006, 11:23 AM
threes

Default Re: (Howitt)

lol! on the *******!
Old 07-23-2006, 02:03 PM
RMF

Default Re: (c jackson)

I wear a regular button up work shirt ,Short sleeves .And no gloves ever.And I never get burned.The only time I get burned is when I'm wire welding on a car or something and I have my arms up.I burn under my arms. And THAT does hurt .You know as soon as you get in the shower.
Maybe I have been welding to long and just got used to it .
Old 07-26-2006, 05:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

makes me remember when i first got weld burn... ouch it hurts to remember
Old 07-26-2006, 10:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

that happen to my legs once i was welding for like 4 hours in shorts...lol. stupid me! i peeled for about 2 weeks, the odd thing was that this peeling hurt.
Old 07-26-2006, 06:48 PM
Shooting Star

I weld aluminum all day. We had a guy come in with white t shirt and wore welding sleeves. I told him he will want to wear a jacket, he insisted he'd be ok....boy the next day his blisters were bleeding...needless to say no more white t shirts for him.

Quick Reply: welding sun burn.