Notices
Tech / Misc Tech topics that don't seem to go elsewhere.

Do Honda transmissions absolutely, positively need Honda brand fluid?

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2006, 07:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Do Honda transmissions absolutely, positively need Honda brand fluid?

Is Honda's auto trans fluid MANDATORY? Or is there another great/superior substitute? Are there proprietary additives that the Honda trans MUST have? Has anyone experienced problems with using non-Honda auto trans fluid? Has anyone used the Mobil 1 auto trans fluid? Thanks for all input.
Old 06-28-2006, 08:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Do Honda transmissions absolutely, positively need Honda brand fluid? (Mangotreemechanic)

some people swear by honda tranny fluid but I use mobile one 5w30
Old 06-28-2006, 09:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Do Honda transmissions absolutely, positively need Honda brand fluid? (Hyaboosta)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Hyaboosta &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">some people swear by honda tranny fluid but I use mobile one 5w30</TD></TR></TABLE>
For the love of GOD dont put that in your auto trans! Iv heard any auto trans fluid works.
Old 06-28-2006, 01:24 PM

Default Re: Do Honda transmissions absolutely, positively need Honda brand fluid? (slow poke)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by slow poke &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
For the love of GOD dont put that in your auto trans! Iv heard any auto trans fluid works.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Good god who even has an auto on here?!?!
Old 06-28-2006, 01:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Do Honda transmissions absolutely, positively need Honda brand fluid? (Hyaboosta)

10w30 cheap castrol oil
Old 06-28-2006, 04:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Do Honda transmissions absolutely, positively need Honda brand fluid? (SOUNDEFFECTS)

i don't know why you guys don't read before you post your replies.......he said AUTO TRANNY

as far as i know the "older" honda auto trannys you can use regular dexron ATF fluid........i read somewhere that the "newer" auto tranny MUST use the specific Honda ATF fluid or you may damage the trans.......

I'm not 100% sure if that is true but who cares....you only need a few quarts of ATF just buy it from the dealer and be done with it.
Old 06-28-2006, 08:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Do Honda transmissions absolutely, positively need Honda brand fluid? (non-VTEC)

Thanks for the replies!

I was not about to throw motor oil into my AUTO TRANNY.

I agree it is not much money for a few quarts, but it is always good to know if a substitute might do even better.

After all, isn't that why some people mod their cars?
Old 06-28-2006, 08:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Do Honda transmissions absolutely, positively need Honda brand fluid? (Mangotreemechanic)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Mangotreemechanic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

After all, isn't that why some people mod their cars?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yes, but your not going to gain a few horses by switching to a different auto trans fluid. Someone will bitch and argue about this but i dont care.
Old 06-28-2006, 09:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Mangotreemechanic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Thanks for the replies!

I was not about to throw motor oil into my AUTO TRANNY.

I agree it is not much money for a few quarts, but it is always good to know if a substitute might do even better.

After all, isn't that why some people mod their cars?</TD></TR></TABLE>

I am aware that Ford and Honda require their own fluids. Now just because you put a different tranny fluid in your auto honda, it doesn't mean you are modifying it, and it won't make your car faster, just a FYI.
Old 06-29-2006, 06:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Do Honda transmissions absolutely, positively need Honda brand fluid? (fast95eg8)

No argument and no bitching.

I know its not hp, but it's the mentality and desire to find a better replacement or substitute. Thanks.

Anyone running the automatic transmission fluid made by Mobil?

BMW also specifies its own trans fluid.
Old 06-29-2006, 07:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

If you not worried about price then the Honda ATF is the best option.
Old 07-08-2006, 05:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Do Honda transmissions absolutely, positively need Honda brand fluid? (non-VTEC)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by non-VTEC &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
as far as i know the "older" honda auto trannys you can use regular dexron ATF fluid........i read somewhere that the "newer" auto tranny MUST use the specific Honda ATF fluid or you may damage the trans.......

I'm not 100% sure if that is true but who cares....you only need a few quarts of ATF just buy it from the dealer and be done with it.</TD></TR></TABLE>

actually it doesn't say you must use honda atf for newer auto trannies either. As pulled from my 03 i4 auto accord manual, pg 280;

"Always use Honda ATF-Z1 (Automatic Transmission Fluid). If it is not available, you may use a DEXRON III automatic transmission fluid as a temporary replacement. However, continued use can affect shift quality. Have the transmission flushed and refilled with Honda ATF-Z1 as soon as convenient."

In the same manual, the last page, service information summary lists as follow;

"automatic transmission fluid: Honda ATF-Z1 (Automatic Transmission Fluid) preferred, or a DEXRON III ATF as a temporary replacement."

For 01+ civics the manual carries the same statement.

I've read a claim here that using a dexron iii fluid increases shift firmness, thus durability/torque holding. Of course I don't have experimental evidence to support this yet.

https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1195661

This weekend I tried a drain and fill of M1 ATF on the accord, changes 3 quarts out of 7 total, and it does seem to make shifts firmer. If anyone has driven an old school honda, like 3rd or 4th gen accord, it now has a similar shift feel instead of the impercetible one.

I have an IR thermometer and there is no difference in transmission temperature.

Old 07-09-2006, 05:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Hyaboosta &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Good god who even has an auto on here?!?!</TD></TR></TABLE>

I do you ***!!! lol

soon to be gone in a few weeks
Old 07-09-2006, 08:26 PM

Default Re: Do Honda transmissions absolutely, positively need Honda brand fluid? (EvilPinkEye)

I stick 10-30 in all my cars

works good for me..
Old 07-19-2006, 03:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Do Honda transmissions absolutely, positively need Honda brand fluid? (outersquare)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by outersquare &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> ... This weekend I tried a drain and fill of M1 ATF on the accord, changes 3 quarts out of 7 total, and it does seem to make shifts firmer. If anyone has driven an old school honda, like 3rd or 4th gen accord, it now has a similar shift feel instead of the impercetible one.

I have an IR thermometer and there is no difference in transmission temperature.</TD></TR></TABLE>
Thanks. That is a good test. When you say "M1", do you mean Mobil 1?
Old 07-19-2006, 04:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Mangotreemechanic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
Thanks. That is a good test. When you say "M1", do you mean Mobil 1? </TD></TR></TABLE>

yes, mobil 1 atf.

also regarding this topic, comptech recommends redline synthetic ATF for nearly all their supercharged automatic cars. They say it is worth a 25 deg reduction in transmission temps. Redline syn ATF is a dexron III fluid also.
Old 07-19-2006, 08:46 PM

amsoil. works well in a honda auto