Notices
Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

How to remove a striped nut.

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2006, 01:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Intalling Header, Stripped a Nut!

If you are one of those foo's who stripped a nut while trying to removed the stock exhaust manifold, such as I, yeah, you know which one it is... here is the how to remove guide:

1. Round the edges with a 14mm socket (the one that is supposed to fit) and continue doing this untill it is perfectly round.

2. Take a Dremel with a cutting wheel and cut the lower half of the manifold(the pipe... not the hard cast...) and cut at it till you break 5 wheels.. and tighten the dremel bit too tight where you can remove it and you have to take it apart and some how magicly get it loose.(by the way, this is irrelivent but nessasary part of the removal)

3. Take the same bit and cut at the nut sideways because the frame is in the way and you can only cut from one angle. Continue to do this untill you break 5 more cutting wheels.

4. Again, take a 14 mm socket (try muliple ones, because there sizes may very) and round the edges some more!

5. Take a masive dremel knock off(roto something....) and put in a huge drill bit that happens to have a end that fits it...(I'm talkin half inch drill bit... you'll find em that'll fit...trust me). From the top now, manage to squeeze it between the A/C line and one of the fans(which you must remove for some strange reason...) then press as hard as you can untill you slide off what you are drilling and put it streight into the radiator untill your drill has done enough damage where the radiator leaks.

6. Take a vice grip and get it on as tight as you can get it, then take many wrenches of diffrent sizes and try to pull it around the vice grip handle to turn the bolt. Have a helper to tell you what you face looks like as you pull your hardest. This will round more of the edge, but is a very nessasary step which leads to the final step.

7. Take a 13mm (yes... its the wrong size) and a extention bar and hammer(carfull... dont break the socket) untill it sides into place. It will fit.. because of all the damage you have done do the nut. Pull as hard as you can with a socket wrench and TA-DA! You removed the very frustrating nut!!

8. After 5 pain staking hours of pure frustration, take your nut(and the socket, because you'll have an even harder time removed those two) and put it in a plastic display case, and hang it on the wall in your bedroom and marvel at its amazing glory!

Modified by Stevenm122084 at 3:22 AM 7/1/2006
Old 07-01-2006, 02:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Intalling Header, Stripped a Nut! (Stevenm122084)

why do all that when you can go buy a bolt-out socket?
Old 07-01-2006, 02:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

two words- vice grips
Old 07-01-2006, 04:52 AM

Default Re: Intalling Header, Stripped a Nut! (cavy95)

Were those instructions to expletive up a nut or get it out?
Old 07-01-2006, 10:30 AM

Default Re: Intalling Header, Stripped a Nut! (teamlegacy)

lol im assuming he had the problem of a stripped nut, and tried all that until he finally got it off.

very sarcastic post, i thought it was funny. +1 for you
Old 07-01-2006, 09:09 PM

Thanks for understanding the humor in it, even reading it back myself I got a laugh. Some people are just way to serious, and they have problems reading too. I love how they tell you to try something that if they read the whole post would have realized I already did it.