Notices
Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

How often should I check/replace distributor cap and rotor ? and which one ?

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2006, 06:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How often should I check/replace distributor cap and rotor ? and which one ?

The car is at 85k miles now. I recently pulled out the the dist cap and rotor for examination and wasn't sure if they need replacement or not. The rotor edge and the four contact points inside the cap seem to have been eroded slightly but I dont have any problems with the way the car is running. So should I replace and get done with it anyway ?
Which one should I get ? I dont want to spend too much on high-end products like MSD and what not.
Thanks!
Old 06-22-2006, 07:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: How often should I check/replace distributor cap and rotor ? and which one ? (AnAccordIsForever)

2 things you could do:

1 Replace the cap and rotor but I highly dought its going to make that much of a diffrence though.

2 Get some cleaner and clean it up.

It's all about how preemptive you want to be about it.

If I had the money I would replace it.
Old 06-22-2006, 08:49 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: How often should I check/replace distributor cap and rotor ? and which one ? (AnAccordIsForever)

make sure it's OEM Cap+rotor..those shucks,autozone,pepboys sheyit is crap but if your car is running fine what makes you want to change it???
Old 06-22-2006, 08:51 AM

Default Re: How often should I check/replace distributor cap and rotor ? and which one ? (I got the CD5 Jeeb

i think his aim is to keep it running as good as it is now, if this is a 4th gen accord a common problem is the distributor, i ended needing a new one at like 130k so i would suggest saving money on the cap and just put some aside fora a new distributor when you're gona need one
Old 06-22-2006, 08:59 AM

Default Re: How often should I check/replace distributor cap and rotor ? and which one ? (I got the CD5 Jeeb

his car is a 6th gen.....
Old 06-22-2006, 04:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by q45mm &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">2 things you could do:

1 Replace the cap and rotor but I highly dought its going to make that much of a diffrence though.

2 Get some cleaner and clean it up.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yes since I was in there anyway I cleaned them (and also widening the distributor end of the wire plug 'clips' for a better contact), and my afterthought of replacing them was because -
-&gt; The response improved. It just seemed to run better than before. And,
-&gt; The dist cap contacts just looked about half "eaten away" by the rotor and the rotor edge also seemed to have slightly shortened. Well the cap and rotor have 85,000 miles on it!

The inside of the dist (coils, rotating shaft and its contact with the coil, etc..) seemed to be in good condition.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by I got the CD5 Jeebies! &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">make sure it's OEM Cap+rotor..those shucks,autozone,pepboys sheyit is crap but if your car is running fine what makes you want to change it???</TD></TR></TABLE>

Looks like OEM is made by two different brands - Hitachi and TEC. Both equally good ? or any preference ? I checked some prices online and it seems like it shouldn't be more than ~$40 total for both the cap and the rotor, in which case I will just replace them.

Old 06-22-2006, 05:30 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

on my 5th gen I am at 144K on the original cap and rotor.

on my 6th gen I am at 98K on the original cap and rotor.

both cars get excellent fuel economy and run like they were brand new.
Old 06-22-2006, 06:36 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by AnAccordIsForever &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Looks like OEM is made by two different brands - Hitachi and TEC. Both equally good ? or any preference ? I checked some prices online and it seems like it shouldn't be more than ~$40 total for both the cap and the rotor, in which case I will just replace them.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

both are jsut as good
Old 06-22-2006, 09:51 PM

Default Re: How often should I check/replace distributor cap and rotor ? and which one ? (YeuEmMaiMai)

If I remember correctly you're supposed to check your cap and rotor, etc every 25k-30k and replace as needed. If you buy the autolite or other store brand you'll want to check them every other oil change. I tried running autolite parts from schucks and after about 10k they looked worse than the Hitachi components that had been used for about 50k. A habit I picked up from driving a lot of old Vw's is cleaning up a cap and rotor after i remove it and stashing it away in a tool box in the car, along with a few ignition wires.
Old 06-23-2006, 11:58 AM

how often do you replace distrib. car and rotor, spark plugs and wires???
Old 07-01-2006, 06:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (steadypimpin)

definitely after 85k miles!!
just replaced the cap and rotor today. got oem from tasauto.com . Even though the old ones didn't look that bad visually, with the new ones she's already got a spring in her step! can't wait to get those ngk wires (he73) and denso iridium plugs in there next.

btw, might sound awfully ignorant or rather naive that I didn't know that the rotor really does not make any physical contact with the 'contacts' inside the dist cap. Supposedly the spark also flies across there too ??
Old 03-05-2014, 07:27 PM
Trial User

Default Re: How often should I check/replace distributor cap and rotor ? and which one ?

Does anybody know about the internal cover and how important it is.. my fell apart. I have not tried starting the car yet.