Notices
Drag Racing Drag Racing (legal) & Associated Topics

Here is what to do in order to get a NHRA Competition Drivers License.(9 sec 135mph)

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2006, 06:43 PM
Better than steak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What to do in order to get a NHRA 9sec. license.

Both me and tony will be going to get our 9sec. license soon and I wasnt really sure what to do. Here is a good link I found:

http://www.bunkerhillrace.com/...o.htm

Do I need a competition license? Simply, if you do drive a car or bike that runs quicker than 9.99 seconds, 1/4 mile, or 6.40 1/8 mile, or 135mph you need to apply for an NHRA competition license BEFORE you can begin racing at NHRA member tracks.

How do I get a competition license? There are a few simple steps to obtaining an NHRA competition license. First will need an NHRA approved physical examination. Your family doctor or walk-in clinic can provide this. You need to use the proper NHRA approved form which is available at your local track or from the NHRA Division office, or check NHRA online at http://www.nhra.com/contacts/index.html

Secondly, you must pass a blindfold test in your race car - knowing where all controls and switches are without looking for them.

Finally you will need to make a total of six test runs and have those runs witnessed by two drivers who are currently licensed in the class for which you are applying, (or a faster class) and the track official. During the first three runs, a new driver is required to make one half pass and two moderate runs. During the last three runs, one moderate and two full runs are required. Original time slips from all six runs must be attached to the license application. All test runs must be single (non-competition) runs. Further details on the NHRA licensing procedure are printed on the back of the official NHRA Competition License Application.

How is much is an NHRA competition license? The fees for an NHRA competition license, payable to NHRA, is $50 for two years. The cost of the license includes a permanent number. A professional class license is $25 for one year. Numbers for additional classes are $10 per class. If you lose your license, replacements are $5 and there is a $10 fee for drivers who upgrade or cross grade their licenses. Not included in these fees is the use of the track. Prices vary from track to track but generally run in the $50 range, to make the test runs.

Do I need an NHRA membership? Yes. (Reference your current NHRA official rulebook, section 16 general regulations, part 10:4) A current NHRA membership is required for participation in any divisional or national NHRA sanctioned event, including the E.T. Finals, or obtaining a new competition license or renewing an existing competition license. Memberships are $59.95 per year or $109.90 for two years. Benefits include a $485,000.00 excess medical insurance policy, 48 issues of National Dragster, an official NHRA rulebook, patch, and hat pin.

How long is my license good for? An NHRA license is good for two years from the date of the physical examination. Top Fuel and Funny Car are good one year from the date of the physical examination.

I'm moving up from Super Gas to Comp Eliminator, Do I need a new license? Drivers moving up to a faster class, or changing wheelbase size will have to complete the upgrade/cross grade requirements. These requirements consist of making three runs in the new car (one moderate, two full runs) in front of two licensed drivers in the same class and the track official. The only exception to this is a cross grade between cars and motorcycles where all new drivers requirements must be met.

My license has expired, how do I renew it? If your license has recently expired, all that is required to renew it is a current physical examination and the $50 fee. If the license has been expired for more than 6 months, the upgrade/cross grade requirements must be completed (see above). If a driver has not competed for a period of two years or more, he or she will have to complete all new driver requirements again.

2005 NHRA Licensing Procedures, applicant's responsibility

1. Test vehicle must pass tech inspection and have a current chassis tag or a 90 day chassis inspection before any test runs are made.

2. A completed ORIGINAL of the NHRA physical and NHRA license application forms must be in hand before any license runs are to be made. No runs are to be made unless physical form is completed by certified medical doctor.

3. Make sure that both drivers witnessing test runs have a current and valid NHRA license equal to or greater than what the driver is applying for. This is the applicants responsibility.

4. Have track manager or witnessing drivers complete blindfold test and sign-off in the appropriate spot, it proves that the driver knows where the controls are.

5. Up-grade or cross grade allowed only if driver has current NHRA license/permanent number.

6. Driver may not compete on the same day as license runs. Must have license in hand.

7. License runs (six) can be made all in one day if track time is available.

8. Drivers must make last 2 - full runs representative of the class license applying for, (minimum 10.0's or 135mph+ (6.50 1/8 mile) or faster for a class 4 license).

9. All test runs must be single runs or over 135mph and above or application will be rejected.

10. All 6 test runs must be completed unless track manager will waive the first 3 runs, as applicant is a previous driver with experience.

11. Applicant must be sure to have signed and dated all information asked for on physical and application forms.

12. NHRA cost is $50 for the first category and $10 for each additional. The use of the track for test runs are at an additional cost, consult the track manager.

13. Applicant should double check paperwork. When mailing to NHRA include; application, original physical form, and the original time slips for your test runs. Make and keep copies for your files.

Most frequent reason for delay in processing license applications

Problems with physical exam forms

Name and address of applicant has not been completed.

Vital statistics have not been filled in.

Applicant has not signed form.

Copy of physical has been sent in. Must send in ORIGINAL.

Doctor has failed to complete the physical form in full.

Blood pressure missing. Pulse reading missing. Vision not checked. Urinalysis not filled in. If sugar is positive, blood sugar test (#31) must be completed as outlined. If the applicant is 55 years of age or older, EKG must be done. Medical examiner's name, address, and phone number must be completely filled in and readable. Medical examiner must sign form.

Problems with application/test run forms

Physical Exam must be completed BEFORE ANY test runs are made

Make/model/class of vehicle used for test runs and cockpit orientation test are not completed.

Test runs are not fast enough. Final two runs on license application must be 10.0's (6.50 1/8 mile) or quicker for class 4 license.

Test runs cannot be side by side. ALL test runs must be single runs, even those that are slower than the 10 second requirement.

Test runs have not been signed by currently licensed drivers and/or track operator.

Applicant has not: Signed form.

Indicated in what eliminator the number and license are to be issued.

Enclosed the correct amount of money for the required fees.

Enclosed time slips with application.

Completely filled in requested information on top of application form.

Modified by Arturbo at 5:07 PM 5/21/2007
Old 06-17-2006, 07:26 PM
Mr. Badwrench

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: What to do in order to get a NHRA 9sec. license. (Arturbo)

will be goin through this in the fall.
Old 06-17-2006, 08:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: What to do in order to get a NHRA 9sec. license. (boostedcivicsir)

Art, No problem for an experienced driver like you. make sure you do the blindfold orientation in your own car. Then do the runs in anything that will run the number. You got enough drivers to sign your app? I think you need two. If not, I would be happy to sign for you.
Good Luck!
Old 06-17-2006, 11:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: What to do in order to get a NHRA 9sec. license. (SpeedSceneScott)

so is it only 9.99 et's? or is it also mph? cuz i thought it was also once u pass a certain mph? good info.
Old 06-18-2006, 07:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good info, I was always kind of curious if you could get your license before you ran a 9 second pass.
Old 06-18-2006, 07:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (nsxmatt)

you just have to trap over 135mph for the pass's....you do not have to make a 9 second pass
Old 06-18-2006, 08:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Turbo-charged)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Turbo-charged &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">you just have to trap over 135mph for the pass's....you do not have to make a 9 second pass</TD></TR></TABLE>

is this a deffinite Joe? Art can you interpret, do we NOT have to make a 9 sec pass? or just trap higher than 135
Thanks
Old 06-18-2006, 08:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (vtekthis)

im 110% positive as ive already completed everything...and aparently my car will never go 9's
Old 06-18-2006, 08:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Turbo-charged)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Turbo-charged &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">im 110% positive as ive already completed everything.</TD></TR></TABLE>
That works
Old 06-18-2006, 09:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: (vtekthis)

Just a note, the NHRA sport compace membership is $19.95 for 1 year.
Old 06-18-2006, 10:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Under General Regulations, Line 8, it says that Class 4 licensing passes (passes 1-6) can be completed at an 1/8 mile track. I've never heard that before, but it says it right on the application. BTW, most of us will be applying for a Class 4, Type B license. This license is for Sport Compact class vehicles up to 125" wheelbase.

Here's the direct link where you can download the license application and physical exam form. http://www.nhra.com/contacts/forms.html

I got my physical last week, I found out I have high cholesterol.

Tyler
Old 06-18-2006, 04:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Nice write up Art. Just what I was looking for. Now I just need to get it done
Old 06-19-2006, 05:26 AM

Default THANKS!

Much appreciated, Art.

I'll be going through this in the fall, as well.
Old 06-19-2006, 05:50 AM

Default Re: THANKS! (NoShoes)

I am currently 3 runs in on my NHRA and IHRA comp licenses. I'll finish the IHRA one up before NDRA North Carolina since its an IHRA track.

NHRA hasen't said a word about the cockpit orientation test though.
Old 06-19-2006, 08:39 AM

could you do a write up on "how to go 9 sec's". good stuff guys. hows the storm?

btw, i got a room @ the cannery also..... uh oh.
Old 06-19-2006, 08:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: What to do in order to get a NHRA 9sec. license. (choiboiracing)

"how to build a 9 sec. car"

1. Drop off your car at T1.
2. Drop off your credit card at T1.
3. Wait patiently by the phone for the call that the car is done.
4. Go to the track and run 9's!
Old 06-19-2006, 08:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: What to do in order to get a NHRA 9sec. license. (tony1)

haha!!

does that include driving lessons tony?
Old 06-19-2006, 08:52 AM

art kennedale is an NHRA sactioned track you can get your license there
Old 06-19-2006, 08:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by tony1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">"how to build a 9 sec. car"

4. Go to the track and run 9's! </TD></TR></TABLE>

haha thats funny...buts its probably true...lol
Old 06-19-2006, 09:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by tony1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">"how to build a 9 sec. car"

Can I pay with a check?
Old 06-19-2006, 10:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: What to do in order to get a NHRA 9sec. license. (4piston)

I got my drag racing license at Frank Hawley's drag racing school.#4 full pass9.375@143. #5 pass 9.379@143 and#6 full pass 9.321@144.It cost some bucks but it was definitely worth the money.The drag car was a super gas pontiac firebird.
Old 06-19-2006, 10:32 AM
Mr. Badwrench

first smile of the day. he hee.
Old 06-19-2006, 11:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

then submit a chargeback and run for your life... hah nobody do this! :-p
Old 06-19-2006, 11:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: What to do in order to get a NHRA 9sec. license. (93preludes)

EDIT:

2. Drop off a large bag of cash at T1.

I forgot how many shady people there are in this industry! haha
Old 06-19-2006, 11:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by tony1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">EDIT:

2. Drop off a large bag of cash at T1.

I forgot how many shady people there are in this industry! haha</TD></TR></TABLE>

and dont rob a bank either. Tony dont like the pink dye

Quick Reply: Here is what to do in order to get a NHRA Competition Drivers License.(9 sec 135mph)