Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion
Old 04-06-2015, 10:07 AM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Engine and Powertrain
Print Wikipost

How much does it cost to repair a blown head gasket?

Old 10-31-2004, 11:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How much does it cost to repair a blown head gasket?

I just spend roughly $700.00 on timing belt, water pump and various other things on my 140k mileage engine. If my problem does turn out to be a blown head gasket should I fix it or should I just opt for a new engine like a B16 or something? If it's possible, can I get a price estimate on how much it cost to replace a blown head gasket?
Old 10-31-2004, 11:44 PM

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: How much does it cost to repair a blown head gasket? (Knocturnal)

If you can do it yourself it will cost you a head gasket. If not, I have no clue but I know it won't be cheap. But if you just spent $700 on it, don't go blow your money on a new engine, stick with what you got till the next big problem, then buy a new engine.
Old 10-31-2004, 11:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

My stock engine already has 140k miles on it though. Do you think spending another $500.00 to fix the head gasket would be worth it?
Old 10-31-2004, 11:53 PM

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: (Knocturnal)

It's a Honda, it's barely broken in. Like I said, if you can do it yourself it won't cost a lot. You can even try and find someone in your area that has the tools and knowledge to help you do it and see if they will do it for cheap.
Old 11-01-2004, 02:21 AM

Default Re: How much does it cost to repair a blown head gasket? (Knocturnal)

if you do it yourself it will be cheap, just the price of a headgasket. I would use new studs if your car is 140k and the head has never been off. so HG + Studs = keep your engine
Old 11-01-2004, 08:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: How much does it cost to repair a blown head gasket? (turbo's blow)

DIY time. Read up a lil bit, headgasket isn't too tuff to swap out. Headgasket... 40 bux? 50? when we did my friends mini me it was like, 48 bux at the local honda dealership. Good Luck!
Old 11-01-2004, 08:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: How much does it cost to repair a blown head gasket? (SiBuddy00)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SiBuddy00 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">DIY time. Read up a lil bit, headgasket isn't too tuff to swap out. Headgasket... 40 bux? 50? when we did my friends mini me it was like, 48 bux at the local honda dealership. Good Luck! </TD></TR></TABLE>

Exactly. It's not rocket science. Get a Helms for 62 dollars, then a headgasket and new studs. You'll be out like 120 dollars and will have a basically new motor if you just spent 700 bucks on it already.
Old 11-01-2004, 08:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

around 800 dollars from Honda
Old 11-01-2004, 08:27 AM

Default Re: (mebri)

$400+ from local mechanic shops I'm guessing. (At least thats what their little black book calls for.)
Old 11-01-2004, 08:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

If I'm getting quoted $1000.00 for a head gasket change is that a rip off?
Old 11-01-2004, 08:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes complete rip off.. You CAN do it yourself.. Its not too complicated... Just get a book read up a little and you should be able to do the job yourself... You should have done the timing belt on your own
Old 11-01-2004, 08:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I do have a Helms manual for my car however I do not have have an impact wrench and air compressor anymore. I recently sold it due to monetary problems and will not get paid until next next Thursday. I do have a set of tools, just a bunch of sockets, wrenches, and ratchets.
Old 11-01-2004, 08:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Knocturnal &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I do have a Helms manual for my car however I do not have have an impact wrench and air compressor anymore. I recently sold it due to monetary problems and will not get paid until next next Thursday. I do have a set of tools, just a bunch of sockets, wrenches, and ratchets.</TD></TR></TABLE>
You can do this with hand tools NO PROBLEM as long as you have a torque wrench. You will need one of those.

EDIT: You can do this yourself, without any prior experience in a day or two tops. Do you think 1000 dollars is fair?
Old 11-01-2004, 09:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Ricey McRicerton)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Ricey McRicerton &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
You can do this with hand tools NO PROBLEM as long as you have a torque wrench. You will need one of those.

EDIT: You can do this yourself, without any prior experience in a day or two tops. Do you think 1000 dollars is fair?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Honestly, no. I do not think its fair Perhaps its the cost of labor but I already spent $700.00 on a timing and water pump change. I think I'm going to attempt to do this on my own. I'm thinking even if my car is down for say a week, I'll save at least $500.00 of my own money by doing it by myself. I'm also taking away something from this as well, experience. I will know how to do it and I will be able to do it from this point on.

How much does a decent torque wrench cost?
Old 11-01-2004, 09:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do you have a sears there? I bought my torque wrench from sears for 50-75 bucks...
Old 11-01-2004, 11:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

can you post a link to the exact wrench you picked up? thanks!
Old 11-01-2004, 11:59 AM

How the **** did you spend 700 on timing belt and water pump? I was quoted at $460 from honda.
Old 11-01-2004, 12:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (rentacop)

the fact that yall pay $400 or so for a timing belt and water pump replacement still amazes me.

As already stated. You can do the headgasket replacement yourself with hand tools and a tourque wrench, it's not hard. Just follow your helms manual.
Old 11-01-2004, 12:53 PM

Default Re: How much does it cost to repair a blown head gasket? (turbo's blow)

I agree do it yourself. Not that hard at all on a honda. but definetly go with new studs. Good Luck man.
Old 06-06-2006, 05:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: How much does it cost to repair a blown head gasket? (95ESSRciv)

what about a haynes manual Are those okay to use? I bought one last night since I too have to change gaskets.
Old 06-06-2006, 05:59 AM

Default Re: How much does it cost to repair a blown head gasket? (junior40er)

^^Im in the same situation right now.^^
Old 06-06-2006, 07:49 AM

Default Re: How much does it cost to repair a blown head gasket? (coupEJunkie)

I was able to change mine without a manual. Lots and lots of research helped.

It's mostly about setting the motor to TDC, unbolting the intake manifold, and unbolting the head.

One thing I suggest is to take white-out and mark the cam tooth & cam gear so you know exactly where the timing belt was, as long as you keep tension on it when you pull the head off. (Screwing up the timing was the biggest deterrant I faced when doing my HG.)

Another thing I suggest is to chance the threads and blow them out before you screw your new studs in.
Old 06-06-2006, 07:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: How much does it cost to repair a blown head gasket? (coupEJunkie)

head gasket, $45 (d16y8)
ARP head studs (worth it), $100
Hayne's manual (more than enough for me), $15
Helm's manual (just in case I needed it), free (downloaded from the internet)

it'll be a little under $200 for the whole project, including things like new oil, oil filter, coolant, etc. I did mine slowly and carefully, and it took me roughly 8 or 9 hours, including completely cleaning all the mating surfaces and getting the head inspected for cracks and warpage. If you know what you're doing, it'll take an afternoon. If you don't, I suggest getting somebody experienced to help you, and it could take as long as 2 full days. All I really used was a good socket set, torque wrench, 12mm box end wrench, 2 screwdrivers, and that's about it. You certainly don't need air tools, and I'd advise against using them, because you could easily break bolts.

$1000 is a complete rip off. I was quoted $600 from my Honda dealer for a timing belt change, which I thought was outrageous. I think a fair price is $350-$400 at a shop. If you have the time, do it yourself. Hope that helps.
Old 06-06-2006, 07:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: How much does it cost to repair a blown head gasket? (nota-eg)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by nota-eg &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I was able to change mine without a manual. Lots and lots of research helped.

It's mostly about setting the motor to TDC, unbolting the intake manifold, and unbolting the head.

One thing I suggest is to take white-out and mark the cam tooth & cam gear so you know exactly where the timing belt was, as long as you keep tension on it when you pull the head off. (Screwing up the timing was the biggest deterrant I faced when doing my HG.)

Another thing I suggest is to chance the threads and blow them out before you screw your new studs in.</TD></TR></TABLE>
Just leave the intake manifold on it is one less thing to replace a gasket on and doesn't have to come off to lift the head off. as a mater of fact it gives a nice little handle to help lift with.
Old 06-06-2006, 08:13 AM

Default Re: How much does it cost to repair a blown head gasket? (instructor74)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by instructor74 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Just leave the intake manifold on it is one less thing to replace a gasket on and doesn't have to come off to lift the head off. as a mater of fact it gives a nice little handle to help lift with.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I think I took mine off so I could pull the head completely out of the bay without having to disconnect all of the lines on the IM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How much does it cost to repair a blown head gasket?